The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new diagnosed type 2 last year looking for a support system that can understand what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yay! You found one! :D :D :D Welcome, Tami! Thank you for joining us . . . that's the best thing about this forum - they know what I'm going through!

I hope you'll be able to visit often!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am new diagnosed type 2 last year looking for a support system that can understand what I'm talking about.
Hello Tami and welcome to the forum! Tell us a little bit about how you manage your diabetes.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: I'm so new I hardly understand what I'm talking about. But support I can do =)

Glad to have you. Tell us a little about yourself, if you'd be so kind...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
breezeonby said:
Hello Tami and welcome to the forum! Tell us a little bit about how you manage your diabetes.
I was on metformin but I stayed so sick I had to come off of it my internist then decided to send me to a endocrinologist he has decided to do diet only but I don't think it is working. This morning it was 166 then dropped I had a protein bar and it came up to 121 the. Lunch sent it up again and then it dropped again I feel like I have been hit by a truck now. I'm tired and don't know what to do!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Hi Tami, welcome to the forum!

you're gonna feel "different" until your body is used to having lower blood sugars, it has happened to all of us

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Tami, do you know what your A1C was at diagnosis? I am sorry that you had such a bad experience with Metformin. Do you know if it was the regular or extended release? I wasn't able to deal with the regular, but I got curious last September and my PCP gave me a low dose of ER and I was able to deal with it. Surprised the heck out of me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome, Tami!

I'm sure you will find the type of support and easy to understand resources on the forum. It is a great place to grow. Keep on fighting the good fight. Diabetes can be controlled through a positive attitude, hard work, and listening and following the directions of your medical team!

Pastor Paul :)

G

·
welcome Tami :) there's lots of support here. I hear you re: metformin as I didn't tolerate it either. I put up with it for 5 years though before they finally agreed to take me off it. Keep working with your medical team... they are there to help you. A positive attitude certainly makes a world of difference. Look forward to hearing your experiences.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does everyone else feel bad the day after they yo yo up and down all day? what can I do to feel better today?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Does everyone else feel bad the day after they yo yo up and down all day? what can I do to feel better today?
Hi tami.if my numbers aren't in control I feel like ass. you'll need to learn to eat the right amount of carbs/fat/protien not spike and not have your sugars drop rapidly. see if you can get your doc to sign off on a visit to a nutritionist/dietician to help you out or a diabetes education class

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes, Yes, and Yes!

If I have a bad meal (BG spike high) I get to feeling quite sick to my stomach, and just plain tired out!

I don't have an answer in what to do. I know I just have to get my numbers back on track, but, diabetes is a strange animal. We can have tight numbers, and still feel plumb tuckered out with doing hardly anything at all!

I wish I could give you more to chew on, but, I do know what you're talking about, and I don't have specific answers.

Just hang in there and never stop working to stay ahead of this disease.

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tami, do you know what your A1C was at diagnosis? I am sorry that you had such a bad experience with Metformin. Do you know if it was the regular or extended release? I wasn't able to deal with the regular, but I got curious last September and my PCP gave me a low dose of ER and I was able to deal with it. Surprised the heck out of me.
At diagnosis it was 5.7 I got lucky and we caught it early I had started a new job and my new boss took notice of my bathroom breaks and thirst she met me one morning when I arrived and said clock in and bring me your finger, fasting I think then it was 150 something she started checking it periodicly during the day and then made me a dr appt they did the glucose tolerance and diagnosed in early april last year. the Metformin was the extended release I think 2000 mg we cut it in half and still I had those horrible bouts with diareah and vomiting too sometimes. the thing is it did work. A1C end of aug was 5.9 but endocrinolgist in sept said it was 5.4?? my reg Doc did blood test Endocrinologist did that 20 uses and throw away I wonder if it was right?? especially since I had not been on anything and I have seen 200's I had a steroid shot for a sinus infection last week and it was almost 300 that night. its 140 now.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
That is awesome - and amazing - that a boss on a new job would be proactive like she was. That's a boss I'd hang on to!

G

·
I agree with Moon - Tami, your boss is very proactive. I wouldn't think they'd allow a boss to go that far here? I think if I started testing my staff with my glucometer I'd be in trouble... we have harrassment laws. You must have been Ok with your boss doing that to you? If a staff member asks me to use my glucometer to check their BGLs, I will allow that (I have with a colleague in the past).... but I would never go up to a staff member and say tell them I need to check their BGLs because I've noticed they have been going to toilet and drinking more.... they'd have me up for discrimination and/or harrassment. I could nicely ask them if they're Ok. If I think it's affecting their performance and I have to put them on a support plan... I can book them to see a medical officer as part of that process, but they can still refuse to go there... but at the end of the day it's their health and their choice. If bad performance continues and they refuse to make any effort to improve their performance I would consider suggesting a more suitable job within the organisation if I'm aware of one... or last resort a demotion or termination of employment. I would never go and test someone basically.... we have very strict anti-discrimination laws which includes 'disabilities'. Under those laws diabetics are classed as 'disabled'... yes, it's true (although I didn't like the idea of been labelled as 'disabled' and I recently got offered to attend a disabilities forum as part of negotiations for our new workplace agreement this year).
But for you at least you now know what you're dealing with... that's a positive.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Yeah, good point onlymep. I've been self-employed for 30 years and thought innocently 'oh how helpful and caring!' - but now I see of course the potential for abuse and how complicated such a seemingly simple gesture is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts