The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, have been a type 1 diabetic for over 30 years this June. Fortunate so far in that I have no complications. Became a type 1 at age 41 which I know is unusual. Have used a Medijector vision A needlefree syringe for most of those years. I test every 2 hours during the day. This is because type 1's are more unpredictable. My blood sugar swings about all day. This way, if it goes up or goes down, I can catch it before it goes on too long and correct the situation. My A1c is usually around 7.4. When it goes higher, I pay more attention to my testing. The only real problem I have had is that when I went into a local hospital in 2009 for intestinal flue, everyone looked at me initially assumed that I was a type II because of my age. This created problems for me in that I did not get the shots I should have and went into diabetic ketoacidosis during the early morning hours of the morning and then again in the afternoon of the same day. I was lucky to escape with a third bundle branch block that I had not had before I entered. Now, if I have to go to a hospital, I know that I have to have someone there to make sure everyone knows that I am a type I. So that is my story. Otherwise I am still healthy.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
What is your way-of-eating? Sometimes the amount of carbs we eat contributes to wide swings in blood sugar such as you describe. Would you be interested in better control of this daily rollercoaster?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Is there some reason you haven't tried an insulin pump. Several people on this forum are using one and seem to keep a lower A1c than you do. Are you wanting to lower your A1c?

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Jill, welcome! Since you are tupe 1, I hope you are using two types of insulin (basal and bolus) and that you are using carb counting to determine your insulin dosages. That gives better control than a sliding scale. I see that you test every two hours. I do that too and test twice during the night. Have you read the book "Using Insulin" by John Walsh? It is a very good source for type 1 folks like us. "

I was diagnosed in 1945 when I was 6, and after 68 years with type 1, I have good diabetes health. Very tight control is needed to avoid complications with my diabetes. Good luck to you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts