The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone. I am 36 and just found out I have what they are calling pre diabetes. I am taking glucophage every night but still can't get my faring sugars under 120. I go back to the dr tomorrow and we will sit down and have another discussion on what I need to do. I am trying to diet, I need to lose about 50-100 pounds but I will be happy with losing ten!
I am really glad I found this site and hope to get lots of support and feedback here.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
This a great place for learning, and getting help. Ask all the questions you want. We are here to help!

Richard

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
What dosage of glucophage are you on? I am on the generic metformin and had to raise it 3 different times to get my bgs under 100. Also what are your after meal bgs. If I want my fastings to be under 100, I find I have to control meal time bgs too. I aim for 100, but don't like anything over 120. Diabetes is a lot of trial and error to find out what foods and diet works best for you. A lot of Type 2's also have something called Dawn Phenomenom or DP. This is a natural phenomenom in our bodies caused by surges of hormones in the early morning hours. These hormones then signal liver to convert stored glycogen into glucose thus raising our bgs. If you have a good insulin response your insulin will kick in and prevent a spike. But many of us have reduced insulin levels in the early morning hours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jwags said:
What dosage of glucophage are you on? I am on the generic metformin and had to raise it 3 different times to get my bgs under 100. Also what are your after meal bgs. If I want my fastings to be under 100, I find I have to control meal time bgs too. I aim for 100, but don't like anything over 120. Diabetes is a lot of trial and error to find out what foods and diet works best for you. A lot of Type 2's also have something called Dawn Phenomenom or DP. This is a natural phenomenom in our bodies caused by surges of hormones in the early morning hours. These hormones then signal liver to convert stored glycogen into glucose thus raising our bgs. If you have a good insulin response your insulin will kick in and prevent a spike. But many of us have reduced insulin levels in the early morning hours.
Right now I am taking a 250mg at night...it is not strong enough because my castings are anywhere from 97 to 147 depending on what I ate the night before. I didn't realize how important it was to follow the diet plan. I kinda fell off the wagon yesterday so to speak and I have felt awful today. I am allergic to wheat so I a, really struggling to eat the whole grains and fibers that I know I need. I also didn't realize how much one glass of soda would spike my levels. How long did you wait between dosage changes?

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Emdla :) there's certainly a lot to learn when you are newly diagnosed. Continue to work closely with your doc to figure out meds. Diabetes is certainly a journey that seems to be a bit different for everyone. It's a good idea to stay away from refined carb foods. If you can't tolerate wheat, it's probably a better idea to get your carb intake from vegetables and dairy instead. Look up "glycemic index" to see what type of carbs are better for you (works on a low-medium-high ratio... low is what you want). Whatever type of carbs you include in your diet, keep them to a minimum. As for soda, most of us here would probably only use regular soda to treat a hypo, some may drink diet soda. You need to be careful with sweetners too as they are known to elevate BGLs. Any sweetner ending with 'OL' is in fact made from fructose. The best thing to do is continue to regularly test your BGLs throughout each day to figure out what works for you. Check out the 'recipe' section for ideas on food to eat... this may be of help. This is a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
onlymep said:
welcome Emdla :) there's certainly a lot to learn when you are newly diagnosed. Continue to work closely with your doc to figure out meds. Diabetes is certainly a journey that seems to be a bit different for everyone. It's a good idea to stay away from refined carb foods. If you can't tolerate wheat, it's probably a better idea to get your carb intake from vegetables and dairy instead. Look up "glycemic index" to see what type of carbs are better for you (works on a low-medium-high ratio... low is what you want). Whatever type of carbs you include in your diet, keep them to a minimum. As for soda, most of us here would probably only use regular soda to treat a hypo, some may drink diet soda. You need to be careful with sweetners too as they are known to elevate BGLs. Any sweetner ending with 'OL' is in fact made from fructose. The best thing to do is continue to regularly test your BGLs throughout each day to figure out what works for you. Check out the 'recipe' section for ideas on food to eat... this may be of help. This is a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.
Thanks for the welcome! I went back to the dr today and they are leaving my meds alone right now. I am also proud to say I have lost ten pounds in the past three weeks. Thanks for pointing out the recipe section, I had not found it yet.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! I went back to the dr today and they are leaving my meds alone right now. I am also proud to say I have lost ten pounds in the past three weeks. Thanks for pointing out the recipe section, I had not found it yet.
:welcome: from me as well!

The big three things to help with the BG (Blood Glucose) levels are: Diet, Exercise and Medication. Weight-loss will really help with the levels and with insulin-resistance, which is very common in Type-II diabetes or pre-diabetes.

Keep with it, low-carb is by far the best way to go for the diet (regardless of what you may be told by professionals...), and daily exercise will really, really help.

Good Luck!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome! Feel free to ask any and all questions :)

Thanks,
Jeremy

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome. You may already know this, but the members were kind enough to share this with me, so I will share it with you. Netrition and Walden Farms are 2 websites where some members buy low carb products, and Netrition only charges $4.95 shipping no matter how much you order. Netrition also carries Walden Farms products, and when I checked yesterday, they were cheaper there than at Walden Farms. Walden Farms products are calorie, fat, gluten and carb free. They have things like salad dressing, BBQ sauce, veggie dips, jelly and syrup, and from what I have read here on the forum, most of them taste good. I don't know how 'natural' you want to eat, and I didn't check out the ingredients, but you can check them out at the site. It could help with your weight loss and also help you stick to it. I made my first order yesterday and am anxiously waiting.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am a big Netrition fan. I put an order in every couple of months. I buy the Walden Farms jam by the case. I also like the WF 0 carb salad dressings especially the Chipolte ranch. I also get my coconut oil there, it is a good price. I do a lot of low carb baking using coconut oil, almond flour, coconut flour and flaxseed. You can usually get flaxseed at your local grocery. I buy almond meal at Trader Joes. Check out the recipe section. We have fantastic cooks here who love to share recipes. Being on a low carb diet doesn't mean you have to do without.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jwags said:
I am a big Netrition fan. I put an order in every couple of months. I buy the Walden Farms jam by the case. I also like the WF 0 carb salad dressings especially the Chipolte ranch. I also get my coconut oil there, it is a good price. I do a lot of low carb baking using coconut oil, almond flour, coconut flour and flaxseed. You can usually get flaxseed at your local grocery. I buy almond meal at Trader Joes. Check out the recipe section. We have fantastic cooks here who love to share recipes. Being on a low carb diet doesn't mean you have to do without.
Question, does almond flour taste the same when you prepare the mixture? I have tried some of the glut on free premixed cake batters or cookies and they were awful.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
jwags, Lloyd on DD makes pancakes with Almond flour and says they are very good. Did he post his recipe there?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts