The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

My Name is Mike, I was recently diagnosed with Type 2, July 14 2011 to be exact.

Nice to see a large group of people. I recently found this site when in search for a meter to use. I must say this site has been a great help so far, and I have only been browsing it for a day or two now.

I look forward to gaining and contributing all that I can here.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello Mike and welcome to the forum :fish2:

I am sure you'll find a bunch of useful information here! Lots of reading.
Don't know if you'd decided on a meter yet. A variety are in use here by the different members. A big consideration will be if you have insurance coverage, they likely will have a favored one. In other words a lower copay, if you prefer another brand, that can get expensive. Many of the strips are $1 each :violin:
Walmart carries the ReliOn brand and the prices are MUCH better esp. for those without insurance or paying out of pocket. My current insurance covers the OneTouch brand, also have an 'uncovered' Bayer Contour USB. Both brands work well for me :)
Please do post any questions.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Mike, glad you found us. It's how I came here too: just diagnosed, Googling something like "HELP! Diabetes!". This forum popped up and helped as advertised.

Yes, I remember the learning curve well, and although not steep now, am still on it: learning and benefiting from everyone's experiences and wisdom.

I happen to use the Accu-chek Aviva meter because that's what I was given, but most meters are fine. There are none that are exact and precise, but none I know of that are must worse than others, so it's personal preference as to size, amount of blood required, ease of downloading data if that's important to you, and color - oh let's not forget color :)

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually ended up getting contour USB by Bayer. My insurance covered the cost of the regular contour and I paid 11 dollars difference on the USB. Thanks for the welcomes

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Good choice. Had I known Jack Squat about anything, I probably would've gotten that one also. The ease of connectivity seems awesome.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
It is very nice but the readings feel off
How so? Too high, low, inconsistent?

You know already that meters are not an exact science. Often the best we can do is trust the relative consistency of the same meter, and keep our numbers as low as possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Meter

They have always felt inconsistent, but I think I have gotten he hang of it more.

My numbers would be at 350 then when I retested be at 230 less than a minute later!.

But now I have a routine, wash my hands, lance and dont let it run, and my numbers have been better now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hello everybody!

My Name is Mike, I was recently diagnosed with Type 2, July 14 2011 to be exact.

Nice to see a large group of people. I recently found this site when in search for a meter to use. I must say this site has been a great help so far, and I have only been browsing it for a day or two now.

I look forward to gaining and contributing all that I can here.
Hi Mike and welcome. Glad you are enjoying the site an hope you will stick around. Lots of good information here and many good folks to give some help as well.

Gene

·
Registered
89 Posts
One suggestion is to take your meter with you when doing your Lab work. Just inform the technician, you'll be doing a finger stick and compare your meter reading with the Lab! I doubt it will ever be exactly the same, but hopefully close. The knowledge will tend to build confidence in your meter!

I did that July 5th and my Contour USB reading showed FBG 91 (4.8) and the Lab results were 94 (4.9) - close enough. Just write down/remember your value as it will likely be 3-7 days before the Labs come back. Overall sounds like you are refining your technique :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome. On meters, I have an Aviva Accu-Chek that I like. The strips are mighty expensive around here, but I found an online place that has them for less than half the price, and have ordered from there the last couple of years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts