The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Jen. I'm 34 year old and fairly newly diagnosed to type 2 diabetes (April 2011), though not completely new to it as my Mother was diabetic and I had gestational diabetes twice.

I am doing lots of reading and taking in lots of info, but still feel like a newbie. Struggling still with getting my sugars down. Diet, exercise and the max dose of Metformin aren't putting much of a dent in them. Going to add Diamicron to the Metformin next week.

Looking for somewhere to pick up new tips, info, etc. and talk to people that "get it" ;)

Cheers,
Jen

·
Registered
89 Posts
Howdy Jen and welcome to the forum!

I am sure you'll find lots of information here. Several of us are Low/Lower carb types with good result in reducing the BG nemesis many of us deal with. One great section worth keeping an eye on is the Diabetes Diet and Nutrition - The Diabetes Forum - Building a New Community to Serve Diabetics Online
A while back someone posted a recipe for low carb pizza and that has been a hit here, my wife does not have D, but she enjoys the pizza! Read a lot and feel free to ask questions - good to have you here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am doing lots of reading and taking in lots of info, but still feel like a newbie.

Looking for somewhere to pick up new tips, info, etc.
Hello Jen, have you checked out the bloodsugar101 website? There is plenty of good info there. Are you looking for tips to lower bg? We can help you more if you tell us how many carbs and what you have been eating.

Glad you found us, welcome to the form.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

I'm Jen. I'm 34 year old and fairly newly diagnosed to type 2 diabetes (April 2011), though not completely new to it as my Mother was diabetic and I had gestational diabetes twice.

I am doing lots of reading and taking in lots of info, but still feel like a newbie. Struggling still with getting my sugars down. Diet, exercise and the max dose of Metformin aren't putting much of a dent in them. Going to add Diamicron to the Metformin next week.

Looking for somewhere to pick up new tips, info, etc. and talk to people that "get it" ;)

Cheers,
Jen
Hi Jen,

Glad you found us. There will be many, many people here that are in the same boat and willing to share information as best they can.

Gene

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Jen, have you checked out the bloodsugar101 website? There is plenty of good info there. Are you looking for tips to lower bg? We can help you more if you tell us how many carbs and what you have been eating.

Glad you found us, welcome to the form.
Thanks everyone for the great welcome! Yes, mostly tips on lowering bg. I am currently following the diet that the dieticians at the diabetes clinic gave me. 45g of carbs per meal and up to 15g per snack...though I am aiming for a little lower, especially while I'm working to lose weight (I also suffer from PCOS which keeps the weight on). I am also doing low-fat/low-cholesterol as my cholesterol is too high (I'm currently on Crestor for that). I'm a chef, so good, healthy food and cooking from scratch isn't a problem.

I will check out the suggested links and then dive right into the forums. Thanks for the info!!

Jen

·
Registered
27 Posts
My granddaughter has PCOS so I know what a devastating thing it is to deal with. It isn't like you are being treated for one thing only, but many things. My heart goes out to you.

If you did much reading at bloodsugar101, you probably found out that eating low carb/high fat not only helps keep bg down, but also helps you lose weight and gets your cholesterol down where it should be. Eating high fat to lower cholesterol is hard for us to wrap our heads around since we have been taught the opposite for such a long time, but it is true.

I tried going on the diet my dietician gave me and my bg kept going up and up, it didn't take me long to realize that was way too many carbs to get my bg down to a healthy level.

Bloodsugar101 tells what normal bg levels are and what happens to your body if your bg gets above certain numbers. Most of us decide on a number that we don't want to go above. Then if you test 2 hours after eating, and eleminate the foods that spike your bg too much, you will soon learn how many carbs you can eat at a time, and what you can eat. We are all different, so none of us can give you a magic number of carbs to eat at meals and snacks. Your meter will tell you that. If you have any questions, ask away.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi! I'd add to what Ann says that Dr. Richard Bernstein has a wonderful book out, but if you Google his name, you'll find his forum and be able to read much of his information online. I, personally, read both his ideas and Dr. Atkins' and lost 50 lbs and brought my glucose down from an A1C of 6.9 to around 5.0 in the last year with no drugs involved, just low carb/high fat eating.

By the way, I have PCOS also...they just didn't have that name for it back then. My endo diagnosed it when I began with her.

Good luck, hope this helps,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the low-carb/high-far links. I did try that for a few weeks (just veg and protein) before I got my meds and it made little difference, but perhaps I will try again now that I am on meds.

I started Glumetza (2000mg) yesterday to help with the stomach issues and so far, so good. I also got the Diamicron, but wanted to wait a couple days after starting the Glumetza so I will start it tomorrow (30mg once a day). I'm a littler nervous about the hypos it can cause to be honest. I've only ever had one (due to poor choices that day) and it was really scary! I also don't like the idea of prodding my pancreas to create insulin 24/7, but at this point, I just need to get my numbers down.

My last A1c was 8.3. My lowest reading on my meter was 8.9 2 hours after eating. I've never had a fasting bg under 10 and most of the time I'm 12+. Today after lunch I am at 15.7.

Hopefully this drug combo starts to work!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.