The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that I have diabetes 4 weeks ago. I am assuming type 2. They only checked the A1C, cholestrol tests, and liver function. Since that time I have changed my diet and I have lost 20 lbs.

Michael

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, Michael. We are happy about your weight loss, but are wondering where your bg is. What was your A1c? What has your bg been running? If you don't have a meter, your doc might give you a prescription for one. If not, you can buy a cheap one at Walmart. It is important to keep tabs on your bg. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You can't tell which type you are by bg or HbA1c. Most doctors just assume everyone is type 2 if dx'd as adult, especially if you have weight to lose. But more and more people are being misdiagnosed as t 2's when they are really LADA or T 1.5. Ask for a GAD 65 test and C Peptide Test. The one good thing about Diabetes is that it is manageable especially with diet change, exercise and sometimes oral meds or insulin. Never feel going on meds or insulin is somekind of failure, it is not. The goal here is to get near normal bgs by whatever means possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A1C- 7.8

Blood sugar between 89- 110 festing and 110-143 2 hours after a meal.

Taking metformin but I am having stomach pain with it even at 500 mg. Making a dr's appoinment tomorrow.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
A1C- 7.8

Taking metformin but I am having stomach pain with it even at 500 mg. Making a dr's appoinment tomorrow.
Hey Michael? If you aren't already using the extended release version of met, ask your doc about switching to it. Fewer side effects than with regular met. It often takes a few weeks for our digestion to settle down & accept met graciously, as it were . . . :) So don't give it up too soon . . .

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have been taking it for 3 weeks.
I have been on it since January. I was having Met-belly attacks every four/five days. Despite going with the flow that didn't change and after a few months I got the Dr to change me to the ER version.

It has helped considerably - I do still get "Met-belly" once or twice a month - but as my system tends to the sluggish side I think that has its benefits and it is helping my BG control.:wink:

Advice given to me that has really helped is to take the Metformin in the middle of the meal rather than before or after. It does seem to minimise the side-affects nicely. I don't always remember!

Reactions: moon

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Thanks for the tip on met in middle of meal - I'll try to do that consistently and see if it further minimizes the met effect. It's better since switching to ER and with time, but I'm still stuck with an urgency I could do w/out!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Don't I know it - after a good 2 weeks of "normal" I got stuck in the loo for a very loooong time last night - missed all the good telly, lol! On the plus side I was 2lbs lighter this morning, hehe...

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
A1C- 7.8

I hope you will try to keep your bg below 140 at all times, that is when bad stuff can happen to your body and organs. When your post-meal bg is 140 or above, you have eaten too many carbs with that meal. It is a good idea to distribute your carbs evenly throughout the day, that way you won't be eating too many at one time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. I have taken Met during and after meals. Today, after meal it did not brother me as much. I might be getting used to it. Still taking 500 mg per day trying on building up to 2000 mg per day.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have taken Met during and after meals. Today, after meal it did not brother me as much. I might be getting used to it. Still taking 500 mg per day trying on building up to 2000 mg per day.
That's what I am taking right now - 1000mgs at breakfast and 1000mgs at supper. It does help some, but I am also on insulin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just moved up to 1000 mg a day. On Friday, I will start 1500 mg for a week. Thank 2000 mg over labor day weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts