The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to all of this and ready to take it serious.
I was diagnosed last summer (10) and didn't want to take it serious so stopped the diet and meds.

While at the store one day recently I
had met a man who was talking to the checker telling her he would be dead within the year and he wouldn't be around much more to visit her.
He had just gotten out of surgery after getting a heart stint and they wanted to put a feeding tube in him since his body was no longer working right. He denied and said he was tired of it all he was done.
I had to ask what happened to him and he told me it was diabetes complications.
I know by the look I gave him he saw my fear and asked if I was diabetic. I said yeah but I haven't done anything about it.

He went on to tell me all the things that had happened to him...loosing a kidney...a couple toes were amputated and he raised his pant leg to show me all the sores on his legs...his hands are painful all day and he has to get shots in his eyes.

He has had three heart surgeries and now his stomach was no longer able to digest food properly.
His advice to me was well taken after he told me all of his many complications and the pain he was in.

He was diagnosed at 38yrs old and didn't want to listen to the Drs early on and change his diet. He thought they were just pushing meds on him to make money and stopped going. Then it all quickly went downhill for him.

He told me whatever I do listen to them and change the things I eat. Take it serious so I would live a long life unlike him. He was only 56yrs old!!!!

I decided to take my blood level and start being serious. I was 587 and realized I better change fast!!!

I went to my Dr and my AC1 was 11, he put me on metformin twice a day and Lantus before bed and when I wake.

I have finally given up my Pepsi (my addiction) and have changed how I eat.
I have always been active and exercise regularly and am not overweight so those are good I guess. But I feel I need to do more.

It's overwhelming trying to figure out what you can and can't eat. Or shopping and reading labels. It's tempting to go back to easy food and grab a pepsi but I know my life is in my hands and it's up to me!!

So theres my story I hope to learn much more here.
Thanks.

I

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, laob. I guess it never hurts when they draw you a picture like he did - and you sure don't have to be told TWICE!

It's great that you're ready to turn things around & we're happy to have you here - lots of good information, wisdom & experience to be shared. Make yourself at home. :wave:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, laob. Yes, it is difficult trying to figure out what you can eat when first starting out, but you can get a lot of help with that here, all you have to do is ask questions. Be sure to check out the recipe section.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm glad you decided to take control before something horrible happened.

Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hi laob,
Welcome to the forum and it's great that you've decided to take action for controlling your D !!

Tony

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
That's quite a story, and quite a service that man did for you. When you get tempted to go off program or push it into the background, you can remember a man who would be glad to know his suffering could at least save someone else's life.

Some people can make change without much prompting, people like you (and me!) stay on course best with a mallet to the head! I had crazy high numbers and was very sick when I found out I had diabetes, so like you I have some drama to look back on.

Hopefully it'll keep us both out of excess trouble :)

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the welcome. I know if a rough road ahead with all the temptations. I just have to relearn how to eat.
And it sucks :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
laob said:
Thank you all for the welcome. I know if a rough road ahead with all the temptations. I just have to relearn how to eat.
And it sucks :)
Tell me about it. I am a picky eater and it's hard, especially when I see others on this forum with better numbers than mine. I have this vision that I become a very healthy eater, who likes and appreciates the veggies.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome to both of you! It really is doable, so stay the course. I had to give up my precious COKES, but instead I got full whipped cream and tons of other goodies that I had not eaten for most of my past and it works for me. Takes a little while, but then it becomes doable.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I've been eating low carb about 6months and have found I didn't have to change my diet as much as I thought because I have been converting my everyday recipes to low carb, which usually only involves substituting an ingredient or 2 for something lower in carbs. Plus I still get my 'junk food' fix since there is a low-carb substitute for almost every junk food.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts