The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Greg. Have been insulin dependent since 1992. Lost 60 pounds in around a month. Was so weak I couldn't even get in the car. Got to Dr. and bg was 485. Straight to hosp. Have fought it ever since . Have done the R on a as needed basis. Did the 70/30 deal. Have been on Lantus for last several years up until just lately. In the last month I have been able to take Metformin and actually keep my levels at a more steady rate than ever. I also just don’t eat much. Usually I eat a small supper and that's about it. I am a night eater. I always have been and always will be. Every one on my mother's side of the family has this problem. I TRY and eat something like frozen pancakes with no syrup. I HAVE to have something. I can eat cereal also but I have to have something and a glass of milk. I try not to eat sweets with the milk but if that is all there is that is what I eat. Brownies, fudge rounds, ice cream. Whatever. It is a form of addiction.

I had back major back surgery just prior to my diagnonsis and have needed pain meds ever since. That doesn't help my eating habits.

I have WMD and have about lost all sight in my right eye and left is following right along. I have injections at least quarterly and also laser treatments. I have a great eye dr.

Well that is the high points so glad to be a part. Maybe this will be a good place for all of us.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum Greg.

I'm amazed you can eat what you do and maintain good levels. What does your blood glucose run these days?

I have two eye conditions/diseases that will take my sight, though it's only compromised now, not gone. My AMD hasn't gone wet yet (though genetically the odds are it will - ) but I'm on an awesome mailing list for MD. Check your mailbox because I'm sending you a link for it in case you're interested - it's incredibly informative and inspiring. (Oops - will have to wait until you have 5 posts before I can do that ...)

Welcome to this other informative and inspiring place I hang out :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well. I check it fairly regularly in the mornings and usually I am around 105-110. I take 2 metformin pills in the am and 2 before bed. Not sure the mg. I would have to look.

Like I said I just don't eat much. I am on a limited income and if I bought all the 'correct' foods I wouldn't have a place to live. So called 'healthy' foods cost 3 times what regulat foods do. Plus I just, unfortunately, can't center my life around what I eat. I know that is the wrong attitude but it's true.

Seems since I have went from 210 to 185 my bg levels are a LOT better. I also was told for years I would never be able to discontinue my insulin dependence. I don't understand it but since I have changed to metformin the 240+ spikes are gone. For years I was all over the place with insulin. As usual I just don't understand it. Guess there are so many variables that it is hard to put a finger on.

I haven't had an A1C for 6-8 mo. but as a rule it is around 7.5 or so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
moon said:
Welcome to the forum Greg.

I'm amazed you can eat what you do and maintain good levels. What does your blood glucose run these days?

I have two eye conditions/diseases that will take my sight, though it's only compromised now, not gone. My AMD hasn't gone wet yet (though genetically the odds are it will - ) but I'm on an awesome mailing list for MD. Check your mailbox because I'm sending you a link for it in case you're interested - it's incredibly informative and inspiring. (Oops - will have to wait until you have 5 posts before I can do that ...)

Welcome to this other informative and inspiring place I hang out :)
Thanks for welcoming me her. I went to my 'msgs' and it wont allow me to check it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My mistake.

It just said nothing in there. It was when I tried to add a picture and edit my profile that said I could not. Lack of posts I think.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hi and welcome!
I just wanted to say something about how much it cost to eat healthy. Here in Norway the cost with eating LCHF is a little bit higher than regular food, but since all those little snacks we ate before, now diasappears, it is actually cheaper to eat healthy LCHF.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
What do *you* consider eating healthy?

I call hamburger, eggs, cheese, vegetables healthful for me. I call potato,pasta, rice, bread most fruit unhealthy.

do you test your BG 1 hour after eating your waffle?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.