The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Danielle and my spouse is a type 1 diabetic suffering from diabetic retinopathy. Since we met I have taken it upon myself to learn as much as I can about the disease and what we can do to avoid it's complications. As his vision is decreasing, I have decided to look beyond research and actually get "out" there and try to meet other that are going through or have gone through the same obstacles as he is. Life is changing in our family and it's scary preparing for life without sight, especially with diabetes. Anyone who is or knows a blind diabetic....I'd love to hear from you!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello Danielle.

Hello Danielle, My name is Peter. I am blind in my right eye and have done no laser treatment yet and mainly scared. :confused: I have had Type 1 for 37 years and I had this now since 10 years old.
This disease is all about BG control. There are many things that influence our Blood Glucose other than the food that we eat and that can be stress, Exercise, Other drugs like Anabolic Steroids and more.

Danielle, I wish that you have great help here and post often.

Welcome to DF. :D

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello Danielle: :) Welcome!

Well, I can well imagine how scared you all must be. I must say that just because your Spouse has Retinopathy, that does not mean that he should go blind. That would be a Real shame in this day and age. There is so much that the medical professionals can do for him.

I had Retinopathy in my left eye. My Ophthalmologist caught it early.

I had 2 visits with 250 laser shots into my left eye to kill the new vessels, at each visit. That's all it took and my eyes are Fine even now. That was about 24 years ago. Other Diabetics I know had to have more laser because most weren't going for the important eye check-ups that every Diabetic should have. It is Well worth it. The Ophthalmologist can stop and stall blindness for a long time in most of these People.

It is Very important, as Peter advised, for your Spouse to get his blood sugars in the Good range at least most of the time in order for the laser to help him.

To be honest, I only know 2 People who actually went blind from their sugars being out of control although there are many. The one Lady had to stop using the computer for obvious reasons. The other was my Husband's young Aunt(44). She died from kidney failure unfortunately. :(

I pray that your Spouse can be helped. Blindness is forever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Matt has been a diabetic for 30 years (since he was 6) last year he had 10 laser surgeries, two vitrectomies, and a valve installed for glaucoma. Unfortunately he still lost sight in that eye. In two weeks we are having a vitrectomy on the other eye. Even if the surgery is successful he will still be totally blind during the recovery stage. Matt has very good control over his sugars now but did not take care of himself well when he was younger. We use the pump and he takes many herbal supplements as well as a good diet. Unfortunately due to the fragile condition of his eye and a bum shoulder (that will hopefully be operated on soon) excersize is really limited. Without sight he has learned how to feed our son, change his diaper, draw up his insulin, do the laundry, etc. We will be getting a speaking computer with voice recognition soon and I saw that there are talking blood glucose monitors now too! But how does he line the test strip up to the blood? Has anyone had to test thier sugar without sight before? We havn't figured this one out quite yet. We are hopeful that this surgery will take and we may never need to use these techniques again however, preparing for it is a reality for us right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will you be having laser surgery soon peter? Matt's lasers did help stall the progression somewhat but he didn't catch it soon enough in the left eye. We are hoping it is not too late for the right one. With one eye Matt could still drive, read, etc. Since the major break in the other eye life has been very different...how's your other eye (the left one)?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Danielle:

I'm sorry to hear of Matt's situation. I've quickly read articles about this topic and evidently it is done by many Diabetics who are blind but they do not say how.

Using a touchable strip seems to be a necessary and particularly one that draws the blood so the Person just touches a blood droplet to the end of the strip as we mainly already do.

The video for this meter says it gives step by step instructions on how a blind Person is to test their blood sugar. Find out for sure before you purchase it. Preferrably in person so he can try it, if possible.

http://www.lssproducts.com/product/Prodigy_Voice/talking-glucose-meters

Hmmm. Okay, I just totally shut my eyes. I opened my meter case, opened the strip vial, put a strip in the meter, took out the picker, and picked the side of my middle finger. I then pressed out blood(I presumed since I couldn't see)from my finger. I picked up my meter with my left hand, held my right ring finger lightly under the strip to steady my middle finger with the blood drop, at the tip of the strip. I opened my eyes. The test was done....6.8. I've never done that before but it was simple and it just came natural and was successful.

Matt has been learning and doing so Good already. He can do this especially with the Prodigy Voice meter. ;)

I truly hope that Matt's surgery is a Success. My Best Wishes and prayers go out to him.

If I find any similar and helpful info, I will post it here.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
663 Posts
The eyes are the soul.

will you be having laser surgery soon peter?
I don't think so, I am scared stiff and the money is another issue as well. :confused:
Matt's lasers did help stall the progression somewhat but he didn't catch it soon enough in the left eye. We are hoping it is not too late for the right one. With one eye Matt could still drive, read, etc. Since the major break in the other eye life has been very different...
I too have been driving well with the current condition and able to use the computer well (Touch wood :eek:)
how's your other eye (the left one)?
GOOD!! and control is my pet project now that I have completed the DAFNE course. :D and I have been counting the carbs and so the journey continues. :D:p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think so, I am scared stiff and the money is another issue as well. :confused:

Isn't there socialized health care in australia? Laser isn't covered? I am suprised that being a diabetic as long as you have that you aren't on the pump. I am not judging what works for you but stable sugars are much easier to achieve and it is easier to use than you would think! Less needle sticking too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts