The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello can't quite believe there is a forum for diabetic's..but i'm so happy there is :D
Diagnosed in March 2011 with type 2...but it's not under control and i am struggling to get my blood sugars down (currently around 17-20!)
I'm hoping to learn a lot from this forum

Anya:)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi Anya,

What medications are you currently on? What kind of diet are you on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Anya,

What medications are you currently on? What kind of diet are you on?
Hi there PC76..:)I'm currently on metformin..have today been put on 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening...as for diet...i don't really know what i should be eating...i'm waiting to see a dietician

·
Registered
497 Posts
You've been waiting since March? Well have a look around, check out the recipe board and there is a lot of info to take in here. Most do a low carb/high fat diet. You might want to check into that. Eg. Atkins or Dr Bernstein. Has you number been like this since March?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You've been waiting since March? Well have a look around, check out the recipe board and there is a lot of info to take in here. Most do a low carb/high fat diet. You might want to check into that. Eg. Atkins or Dr Bernstein. Has you number been like this since March?
Just recently been waiting to see a dietician...i kind of know what i shouldn't be eating..but not sure what i should...I saw the doctor yesterday to increase my metformin...but don't have to see him for another 10 weeks..was refused an eye test today as my diabetis isn't being controlled and had some raised pressure levels..i just wish i was more informed...yes my number has been averaging out at anything between 14 and 26...i would love to get it down!
Thank you for your help :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
You might want to ask your Dr about putting you on insulin. What is your typical day as far as food and exercise go?

The dietician will tell you to eat 45-60g of carbs a meal with 15-30g per snack. That is too high and that won't help you control your numbers.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hey Anya,

Welcome to the forum.

Take us through what you have been eating. (Pick today for example - what all did you eat from breakfast to dinner ?)

How are you doing on your weight ? Do you have weight to loose ?

Its good that you've decided to take corrective actions. We are there to support you.

Tony

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might want to ask your Dr about putting you on insulin. What is your typical day as far as food and exercise go?

The dietician will tell you to eat 45-60g of carbs a meal with 15-30g per snack. That is too high and that won't help you control your numbers.
I thought insulin wasn't for type 2?
I work full time and am on the go all day (8-5)..i swim and ride a bike and love to walk :)
I have weetabix for breakfast and for lunch i have a ham or tuna roll with fruit...my evening meal could be pasta or salad or fish with vegetables and potatoes..i don't snack and have cut out added sugar...i forgot to say i have been taking other meds that are know to raise blood sugars ..but as of this week are being changed for something else...maybe this will help get my numbers down :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Insulin is not just for type 1's, there are plenty type 2's on here on insulin. 50% of type 2's eventually need insulin.

Your meals seem very high in carbohydrates, carbohydrates are the same as sugar, your body converts it. Eating a slice of bread is equal to a spoon of sugar. PAsta, breads, grains, pototoes, rice, all no no's or in moderation, very moderate.

Try meats, bacon, sausage, steak, chicken all of that good stuff with veggies, all you can eat veggies. I still have a 1/4 of my plate as a carb, usually 15-30g a meal with that but that works for me.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Remember it's not added sugar, it's carbs taht turn into sugar

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Insulin is not just for type 1's, there are plenty type 2's on here on insulin. 50% of type 2's eventually need insulin.

Your meals seem very high in carbohydrates, carbohydrates are the same as sugar, your body converts it. Eating a slice of bread is equal to a spoon of sugar. PAsta, breads, grains, pototoes, rice, all no no's or in moderation, very moderate.

Try meats, bacon, sausage, steak, chicken all of that good stuff with veggies, all you can eat veggies. I still have a 1/4 of my plate as a carb, usually 15-30g a meal with that but that works for me.
And there was me thinking i was being good!
I love veggies and i love fruit...so are you saying i should not eat bread...potatoes...rice...pasta...or very infrequently...seems i am getting it all the wrong way around!:pout:

Thanks for your help :eek: much appreciated:thumb:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I thought insulin wasn't for type 2?
1. I have weetabix for breakfast
2. lunch i have a ham or tuna roll with fruit...
3. Evening meal could be pasta or salad or fish with vegetables and potatoes
4. I don't snack and have cut out added sugar
Hey Anya,

What happens with most of us is that what we are trained to think is "good" and "Healthy" for us diabetics actually turns out to be the worst.

Several of the things you mention above are what many of us (including me) think are an absolute no-no.

First Rule that I quickly learnt is that

"All carbs (except fiber) = glucose". All carbs will raise your BG.

Eliminating sugar (a type of carbohydrate) will not help you achieve your goals if instead of sugar you have a different type of carbohydrate.

Here are some suggestions

Try dropping the following
1. Weetabix (made from wheat, pure carbs)
2. Fruit. Most fruits have natural sugar (Remove most fruits to start with, later once you have your BGs in control, we can try to add some of them back)
3. Pasta and Potatoes. These are Pure carbs (loads of carbs)A

Basically remove anything made from any grain (Bread, Pasta, Wheat, Oats, Corn, Rice)...

Add meat, cheese, cream, mayo, almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts.

Try this for a few days. For a few days dont worry about the Fat. There's no harm in a few days. If it doesnt work you wouldnt have lost anything. If it does then continue and keep monitoring your health

·
Registered
497 Posts
Watch your fruit too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Anya,

What happens with most of us is that what we are trained to think is "good" and "Healthy" for us diabetics actually turns out to be the worst.

Several of the things you mention above are what many of us (including me) think are an absolute no-no.

First Rule that I quickly learnt is that

"All carbs (except fiber) = glucose". All carbs will raise your BG.

Eliminating sugar (a type of carbohydrate) will not help you achieve your goals if instead of sugar you have a different type of carbohydrate.

Here are some suggestions

Try dropping the following
1. Weetabix (made from wheat, pure carbs)
2. Fruit. Most fruits have natural sugar (Remove most fruits to start with, later once you have your BGs in control, we can try to add some of them back)
3. Pasta and Potatoes. These are Pure carbs (loads of carbs)A

Basically remove anything made from any grain (Bread, Pasta, Wheat, Oats, Corn, Rice)...

Add meat, cheese, cream, mayo, almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts.

Try this for a few days. For a few days dont worry about the Fat. There's no harm in a few days. If it doesnt work you wouldnt have lost anything. If it does then continue and keep monitoring your health

Thank you Tony :)...I think i need to retrain my brain...my doc has told me to stop checking my blood sugars and is sending me in 10 weeks for an AC1 blood test...is it ok to eat bran for breakfast?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thank you Tony :)...I think i need to retrain my brain...my doc has told me to stop checking my blood sugars and is sending me in 10 weeks for an AC1 blood test...is it ok to eat bran for breakfast?

10 weeks for the A1C should show you improvements. How was your A1C to start with ?

My doctor's stopped telling me to stop my frequent testing. My wife has too. They probably think I've gone mad because of my D. But I know the reason why I am seeing improvements is because I am more aware of whats happening in my body. Some of my results are in my signature below.

I test 5 times a day. Insurance in India does not cover strips, so I've got myself a cheap but reliable meter and strips from ebay.

I do have Bran sometimes but never for breakfast. Like most of us here I cannot handle more than 10 carbs for breakfast. Things I usually have for breakfast are scrambled eggs, sausages, half glass of milk, almonds, left over veggies from last night, kidney beans, chickpeas etc

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. It does take some brain retraining. I was a vegetarian before diabetes eating what I thought was a healthy diet. It took lots of bg testing to figure out that my dysfunctional pancreas cannot handle things like whole grain bread, oatmeal, fruit, pasta, brown rice, crackers and of course sugar. It sounds like I cut out a lot but I eat a fantastic diet. I still bake cookies, muffins and even make fudge but I use things like almond flour, flaxseed and stevia or erythitol. By baking without flour I can still have my chocolate chip cookies and keep my bgs low. I aim for about a 100 bg average or 5.5. The highest I usually go in a day is 115-120 or 6.3-6.6. To convert the UK system to US just multiply your numbers by 18. Many of us didn't get very much info from our doctors. Here is a good website that really helped my lower my bgs

Blood Sugar 101

How long have you been on Metformin. Sometimes it does take a month or two to kick in. It also works much better on a low carb diet with some daily exercise. If metformin doesn't work alone you may need to add another oral med or even insulin. Many type 2's take long acting insulins like Lantus and short acting at meals. Even though Type 1 and Type 2 are different diseases the damage to the beta cells in th pancreas is the same making us insulin insufficient.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, Anya. So far you've been given really good advice. Do you have a meter? I assume you do, since you seem to be keeping track. I'd like to add that I eat almost no fruit...just a few berries now and then in my full fat yogurt. I eat all the eggs I can hold, lots and lots of good fats, meat, bacon, etc. We have a b'fast, lunch and dinner lists, so reading some of them as well as www.bloodsugar101 will be very helpful. Also, our recipe section is good for ideas of how we've adapted foods we love to ones that we can eat.

Welcome, again. Ask any question you want, we are here to help. The only stupid question is one not asked.

Read our archives too. Lots of wisdom in there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts