The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it all started when i was supposed to get my tonsils out. The day before surgery the doctor called me and cancelled the surgery. He stated that my blood sugar levels were too high. He sent me for some test the next day and they diagnosed me with type 2. when i found out I WAS DETERMINED TO GET IN SHAPE AND BEAT THIS DISEASE. But here i am 5 years later and the doctor just put me on insulin and januvia. It is soooo depressing. I need to lose weight, I am @ 255 now and im trying to lose 55 pounds. This is my last stand i am going to comit today and will do it this time. I am joining this forum bcause i need some ideas and a support group.

thanks for listening.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You got 'em, Nuff, a whole global community of support & suggestions . . . and we may even be able to show you some tricks that your doc won't tell you about. We're all about helping each other keep on keepin' on with this diabetes journey, and it can make all the difference in the world. Make yourself at home here & let's get better acquainted.

Most of all, welcome aboard and thank you for joining us! :cool:

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the machine Nuff

G

·
Hello Nuff and welcome.

I've only recently been diagnosed with Type 2 but this place has already helped me to choose the right diet and stick to it! Temptations are a real pain, aren't they?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hello and welcome

I’m fairly recently diagnosed as Type 2 and I did not cope particularly well psychologically at first.

I think my low point was sitting on the toilet with Diarrhea and a urinary tract infection with a meter reading of 288 (16) after eating a bowl of porridge (Dr recommended this) :confused: . Decided I was getting some fairly poor advice and decided to take control myself.

5 months later, 3 stones lighter , I have good control of my diabetes and feel better than I have done for years, so stick with it , it can be done . :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. The one thing to learn is this disease can be managed but the trick is not to listen to the ADA's diet suggestions and what most dieticians have told us. Eating a higher carb diet is almost a given that your diabetes will progress to more meds. Most of us have figured out by trial and error what foods spike our bgs. Once you eliminate those foods bg will usually stay fairly stable with a minimal amount of meds. If you haven't already found
Blood Sugar 101 check it out, it really helped me.

Reactions: Natali

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Welcome!:wave:
You've come to the right place. The people here are both friendly and knowledgeable. I was just diagnosed in June 2011 and these people have already helped me get my act together!

·
Banned
6 Posts
Hallo, Nuffsaid!
I has been suffering with pancreatic diabetes for 33 years, since I was 6 years old.
The diabetes is daily to work over itself.
To make normal weight the diet + walking helps. Walking - the best physical activity at a diabetes. And the most important thing often to do measurements of level of sugar in blood. If you support it in norm your organism will function normally and there will be no complications. Unfortunately, I didn't have a possibility to supervise blood sugar, therefore I have irreversible complications with kidneys and eyes. You can avoid it. I hope that at you will be good!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi, nuffsaid. Many of us test our bg first thing in the morning to find out what tricks our bodies are playing on our bg overnight. We count how many carbs we eat per meal, then test 1 hour after eating to see how high that meal took our bg. If too high, we cut down the number of carbs the next time. That is how we find out how many carbs we can eat per meal without taking our bg to an unsafe level. That is called eating to your meter. Everyone is different, so some can eat more carbs than others. For me, I eat about 10 per meal, 30 per day. Some take their bg 2 hrs. after eating to make sure their bg is going back down. Your meter can be your best friend.

The bonus to eating low carb is most of us lose weight without even trying. I lost 40 pounds in the first 3 months.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome, Nuff...this is a great place to be and you'll be supported very well. Most of us have lost weight and control our bg by 'eating to your meter' and it works well. Pull up a chair and join in! Glad you found us...

·
Registered
741 Posts
howdy nuffsaid...*waves from Australia...this is a place where you can ask any question no matter how silly you may think...trust me if you think it...so has someone else

1 - 12 of 12 Posts