The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome and you apparently did just fine in posting this.

Being new to D, you can gleam a tremendous amount of info from the members here. Probably more than your Physician will have time to give you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Welcome and you apparently did just fine in posting this.

Being new to D, you can gleam a tremendous amount of info from the members here. Probably more than your Physician will have time to give you.
Thanks for the reply. Surprised it actually posted. Yes I hope to learn a lot from the members as I think I do need some support. All a bit confusing at the moment. Was diagnosed Type 2 a few days ago and put on metformin though was told a year ago I was borderline.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. All too often docs tell their patients they are borderline or
pre-D and really don't address the fact that they do have diabetes. No one likes to get a dx but the good thing it is manageable. Read throught the forum here and you will see so many success stories. Many of us have lowered HbA1c to normal range with metformin and a few tweaks to our diet. I have to admit that 5 years of diabetes has me at my best shape ever and I feel so healthy.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hey welcome to the Forum. You'll get a lot of info here. While diabetes will not go away no matter what you do you can live a PERFECTLY NORMAL life by managing it. It can be done.

Tell us more about your numbers...

Welcome again

Reactions: foxl and stormie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for those replies. It is good to see there are people all over the world who have been tackling this. I will tell a little about myself. I am 61 just diagnosed and now on metformin. Have been on thyroxine for about thirty years and also take inhalers for asthma. I dont mind using inhalers when I need them but I have suddenly become embarrassed at the thought that I may have to take tablets whenafter I eat and others may know. How have otfolk got around that? I havent told anyone yet as I a, a bit uncomfortable with it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am also 61 and take 2550 mg of metformin. I don't take it at meals. I am not embarrased that I have diabetes. I know that I didn't cause myself to have this disease. If you have to take pills or insulin at meals to keep bg good, then you should do it without caring what others think. A really good resource I found is
Blood Sugar 101 It really will help you put everything in perspective.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Lass . . . it's kind of an ordeal at first I guess, but I agree with jwags - there's no stigma in taking a pill with your meal. For all they know, it could be anything - it prob'ly isn't going to suggest diabetes. And you could always use the rest room after the meal, just to wash up & take the pill.

Nice to have you on the forum - hope you can visit often!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts