The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Joy. I am a nursing student who only plans to enter a miserable field because of my ambitions as a Certified Diabetes Educator. I cannot stand many nurses as they lack proper sense im sure some of you can relate. I am not a diabetic however my son has been Type 1 since he was 18 months old. He is now 6 and still relies on me for much of his care. I live, breathe, and think about diabetes constantly, as I must. Ive been blessed with an outstanding management team who never disappoint when it comes to education. I believe education is a must for anyone battling Diabetes. Look forward to chatting with you. :)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, Julles! I hope you learn from us as well as your courses that not everyone responds well to the current advice of 'educators' and your knowledge of Type 1 does not work well for all of us. Type 2's seem to get good readings on low carb/high fat diets. Worth reading our posts to learn about what we mean. I hope you do well and become one of our lucky ones who accept our experience rather than your ADA knowledge or at least suggest it to 2's who come in to you. It's like a tragedy that the ADA diet leads to more drugs and more damage to important parts of the body.

Good luck and do well,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Patdart, Im sorry you must have gotten the wrong impression. I do not necessarily support all the health care treatments as a matter of fact, my son's endocrinologist and I often argue as if we were married. However it would be ignornant to dismiss valid points medical knowledge has today. I tend to see this often with type 2s. Instead of trying advice they simply dismiss it as nonsense. Im not selling religion, and it is absolutely your choice how my advice is interpreted. Its your kidneys, your neuropathy, your vision. I completely understand that with this disease there are a broad range of options because we are each different. However low carbs are not beneficial to our health as our body is reliant on them. Hopefully that cleared the air and it's been a pleasure to meet you! :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
However low carbs are not beneficial to our health as our body is reliant on them.
Please don't take offense, Joy, but my body relies on glucose, it does not rely on carbs. And it manufactures the glucose it needs by gluconeogenesis, while my energy comes from fats.

Low carbs are and have been extremely beneficial to my health and my non-diabetic husband's health as well. Thanks to low-carb/high-fat, his lipids are lower than they've been in at least the last ten years, and my blood sugar is stable around 130. No insulin, no sulfonylureas - just metformin. I am 66 years old and my husband is 77. I will need a much better explanation of exactly WHY we need carbs before I would reevaluate what the last two years' experience has shown me.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Carboyhydrates are just sugar waiting to happen.

Health care professions who recommend that diabetics base their diet around eating sugar are not very helpful :confused:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'm glad you want to be a CDE, but don't dismiss nursing as a miserable occupation. I really do think nurses are the backbone of our medical system. My only problem with CDE's is that they teach one option only to diabetics. Many diabetics don't do well on the diets their CDE's give them. Eating lots of carbs keeps their bgs much higher, requiring them to be on more meds and eventually insulin. One thing CDE's never tell us as diabetics is that we can get normal bgs with a few tweaks in diet. If I had stuck to my CDE's diet I would be on insulin now. Instead I am only on metformin and am at my lowest weight ever, 120 pounds. I am very healthy and rarely does my bg go much above 110. I owe this all to low carb diet. CDE's need to take a good look at low carb diets and how beneficial they are. I am very athletic and have plenty of energy to work out, play tennis and walk 4-5 miles most days. Even Type 1's benefit from LC/HF diets because they eliminate a lot of their spikes and bg drops. We have been fed a lot of misinformation over the years about diet. I hope as you enter this field you keep an open mind on diets.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Joy, there are other groups that are very good for parents of diabetic children. One of them is as follows:

children with DIABETES Online Community

There are also some very good groups for parents on Facebook. if you want more information, let me knww.

I have been type 1 for 66 years, and am very healthy. I was 6 years old when diagnosed. With the knowledge and technology available today your son can have a long, healthy life.

Richard

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shanny said:
but my body relies on glucose, it does not rely on carbs. And it manufactures the glucose it needs by gluconeogenesis, while my energy comes from fats.
There is always more to learn about this disease. Gluconeogenesis is a negative feedback reaction that our bodies use to react to low glucose. We have a small storage of glycogen within our liver. This process you are relying on is placing stress on the liver which it was not intended for. This was simply made to keep us in balance. When our bodies are depleted of needed carbohydrates it must strive make the energy required. Is this process harmful? We are still researching this. However take a look at osteoporosis, when your body is lacking calcium it must take from where it can, taking from the bones which later causes horrible bone density. Our bodies do in fact have set process that are not made to be reversed as you are forcing your body to do with high fat low carbohydrate diets. Instead of reversing the process which places a strain in the body, help aide your body with high fiber foods. Im not sure how many carbohydrates you intake, however our bodies require a minimum of approximately 85 carbohydrates daily thats not including physical activity. That is the minimum gas needed for your "cars" kidneys, brain, and overall function to run. Now being type 2 and eating a high fats diets is a risk. You are already at risk for heart disease because you are a woman, and type 2 diabetic. Throw in a high fat diet and youve got a recipe for heart disease brownies. Given your body is relying on that fat for energy, because you are forcing it too. Its not a natural process, we need everything in moderation. Instead of restricting your body, introduce carbs slowly, without the high fat. Your insulin uptake will need to be matched with your diet. I couldnt give specifics on any one person. But for example: You could have a higher uptake at noon and not know it because the carbohydrates for breakfast were too much and your body is trying handle it. Learning how much your body can handle is vital to proper and healthy treatment. Also, I'm not exactly convinced your lipids are perfect, given your diet. I'm not trying to tell you this just to talk as a matter of fact my fingers are going numb from my smart phone. I do have a huge place in my heart for diabetics because our healthcare management is completely sluggish towards this disease. In my eyes every diabetic should be able to see a dietician, they have a thorough and individualized approach to treatment. I believe they are the future to diabetes management.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stormie said:
Carboyhydrates are just sugar waiting to happen.

Health care professions who recommend that diabetics base their diet around eating sugar are not very helpful :confused:
This is common. It is confusing! As a matter of fact doctors are confused, which is why they write a script and send you on your way. Ive gotten into many arguments with doctors who have no clue.

We are made to function through carbohydrate intake. If we were plants we wouldn't have to worry because of photosynthesis. However we are not green and do not change colors during the fall due to disruption of chlorophyll. We must eat our energy. Our body's main source of energy is carbohydrates. That is simply how we function. You cannot tell a strand of hair to produce neurotransmitters as that is not it's function. We cannot tell our bodies it is not allowed to have carbohydrates as it is it's function.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Clearly I'm not a cabbage, that's why I don't pay too much attention to Doctors :D

The low carb / high fat diet is a hotly debated topic, and both sides tend to get emotive about it.

A lot of people who low carb / high fat have very good results from it.

My personal preference is about 50% carb 25% protien 25% fat
with an emphasis on Low GI carbs (wholemeal, basmalti rice, new potatoes etc)

I have good blood suger control and low cholestorol. Works for me, but everyone is different

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
There truly is always more to learn about diabetes, and nobody knows that better than we who live the life. We are the guinea pigs and we know the results better than any researcher. When the conventional wisdom and standard medical advice don't work to keep our blood glucose within safe parameters, those of us who want to live long lives sans complications have resorted to what you seem to believe are extreme measures.

Again, I mean no offense when I apprise you that my own doctor scoffed in the beginning, insisting that I tested way too much and went way too low-carb (his recommendation had been to stay under 100g of carbohydrate per day. Beyond his medical education/training/experience, his own wife is diabetic). Now I would appreciate if you could at least acknowledge that an honest intelligent Vanderbilt-educated board-certified geriatrician has approached this with an open mind and is persuaded that it is beneficial for us. He has gone so far as to advise IN WRITING, that my husband continue using the LC/HF way-of-eating which I myself use. Our lipids levels are that of much younger people, and I arrived at my present level of carbs by moving down from the 100g daily which my doc advised at my diagnosis. Since 100g daily did not get my glucose under 140 mg/dl, I began eliminating the highest offenders until those numbers DID drop to the prescribed level, and that wound up being about 50g of carb per day, composed of high-fiber vegetables like celery, avocados, asparagus, artichoke hearts, etc.

As for osteoporosis & your other concerns for my well-being; my most recent bone density scan (16 months ago) results were exceptional. Doc knew they would be, having said I was the last person he'd expect to be losing bone tissue, but we wanted a baseline. My stores of glycogen are exceptional plentiful as well, since they ante up every morning to assist with the dawn phenomenon assault on my otherwise stable blood glucose. My medical history is cluttered with precautions taken to thwart my risk for CVD (my mother died of it at age 74). So when I aged into Medicare, I pointedly asked my doc if I were going to manifest any evidence of heart disease, didn't he think I'd have done it by now? I am, after all, obese, from all those decades of stuffing myself with carbohydrate. My doc & I agreed that if CVD hasn't shown its ugly head by now, it's an unlikely threat. Paternal genetics have apparently trumped the enate in my case.

I may be the exception to the rule, but just in case I'm not, I think diabetes management would be advanced greatly if the dietitians of the world offered other choices than the ADA guidelines. All it would take would be the mention that if patients' levels steadfastly remain high despite strict adherence to the "balanced" method now offered (this business of labeling patients as non-compliant when they are struggling their best to make it on the ADA prescribed diet - it has to stop!), they may - in lieu of sulfonylureas and/or insulin - use the LC/HF way-of-eating for a few weeks and see if their numbers don't drop. Even the ADA affirms the efficacy of low carb diets; they just stoically refuse to offend their Big Pharma underwriters by actually recommending it.

In my experience, the lowering and maintaining of blood glucose is the ultimate priority. Everything else such as lipids, hypertension, and many other chronic ailments usually respond and improve with LC/HF.

The wisdom of the world is not found in textbooks. It is found by searching with a mind open to new and different options. By listening to people who live the life and work out their problems using the methods at their disposal. The nearest method at our disposal is our food intake.

There is always more to learn about this disease. Gluconeogenesis is a negative feedback reaction that our bodies use to react to low glucose. We have a small storage of glycogen within our liver. This process you are relying on is placing stress on the liver which it was not intended for. This was simply made to keep us in balance. When our bodies are depleted of needed carbohydrates it must strive make the energy required. Is this process harmful? We are still researching this. However take a look at osteoporosis, when your body is lacking calcium it must take from where it can, taking from the bones which later causes horrible bone density. Our bodies do in fact have set process that are not made to be reversed as you are forcing your body to do with high fat low carbohydrate diets. Instead of reversing the process which places a strain in the body, help aide your body with high fiber foods. Im not sure how many carbohydrates you intake, however our bodies require a minimum of approximately 85 carbohydrates daily thats not including physical activity. That is the minimum gas needed for your "cars" kidneys, brain, and overall function to run. Now being type 2 and eating a high fats diets is a risk. You are already at risk for heart disease because you are a woman, and type 2 diabetic. Throw in a high fat diet and youve got a recipe for heart disease brownies. Given your body is relying on that fat for energy, because you are forcing it too. Its not a natural process, we need everything in moderation. Instead of restricting your body, introduce carbs slowly, without the high fat. Your insulin uptake will need to be matched with your diet. I couldnt give specifics on any one person. But for example: You could have a higher uptake at noon and not know it because the carbohydrates for breakfast were too much and your body is trying handle it. Learning how much your body can handle is vital to proper and healthy treatment. Also, I'm not exactly convinced your lipids are perfect, given your diet. I'm not trying to tell you this just to talk as a matter of fact my fingers are going numb from my smart phone. I do have a huge place in my heart for diabetics because our healthcare management is completely sluggish towards this disease. In my eyes every diabetic should be able to see a dietician, they have a thorough and individualized approach to treatment. I believe they are the future to diabetes management.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes the nearest method at your disposal IS food intake. High fat diets to replace necessary carbohydrates is not my preference of healthy. As a matter of fact its frieghtening how many diabetics give up and believe they cannot have carbohydrates. This is completely wrong. Yes, you will have spikes, spikes you cannot always control and it is mentally draining. But that doesn't mean give up. Keep at it learn your body! Dont deprive yourself of carbohydrates, our bodys main source of energy. As of now we are unsure of what long term effects low carbohydrates have on our body. We have just discovered this specific cycle in 1995. What will be done if research shows this diet does irreversible damage to your liver? Then what would you do?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My dear, I have lived far too long to be affected by such scare tactics as these. Please dial it down. You do not have all the answers and you may never have them, because you're looking in one direction only. As I said before, keep an open mind.

And stop insinuating that I am ignorant of the rhythms & requirements of my own body. I know my body at least as well as you know yours, and I didn't learn it from a book.

Yes the nearest method at your disposal IS food intake. High fat diets to replace necessary carbohydrates is not my preference of healthy. As a matter of fact its frieghtening how many diabetics give up and believe they cannot have carbohydrates. This is completely wrong. Yes, you will have spikes, spikes you cannot always control and it is mentally draining. But that doesn't mean give up. Keep at it learn your body! Dont deprive yourself of carbohydrates, our bodys main source of energy. As of now we are unsure of what long term effects low carbohydrates have on our body. We have just discovered this specific cycle in 1995. What will be done if research shows this diet does irreversible damage to your liver? Then what would you do?

·
Registered
156 Posts
You really do, as you suggest, need some education. Education is good.

I pity your 16 year old. He will be blind by 25. You'll have to carry him around in a hockey bag; because his legs are toast too, pun intended. In case you don't know, diabetes is a sugar metabolism disease. Eating sugar is like throwing gas on a fire. If you claim otherwise, show me scientific proof.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Maybe this will tell you a good story about Sugar/Carbs

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PowerPumper said:
I pity your 16 year old. He will be blind by 25.
He's 6, as I stated. I see you pay attention to what it is you're reading. Besides the fact your ignorance should be ignored as it speaks for itself, show me proof he will be blind by 25. Thanks in advance. :)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts