The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum (although I have lurked a couple of times before registering.) I am not diabetic but was told that I was pre-d a couple of years ago, about the same time my husband learned that he was diabetic.
Facts:
My husband was diagnosed with diabetes with a fasting glucose of 300 about three years ago. He was only slightly overweight - maybe 15 pounds on a 6 foot frame. Otherwise in good shape physically with a physically demanding job.
I was told I was pre-d about the same time with a fasting about 120 and being about 75 pounds overweight (on a 5'3'' frame) with a somewhat sedentary teaching job.

At that time we met with a dietician who gave us the standard ADA diet, told us to eat "good" carbs and be dessert snobs - only eating the really good stuff once in a while. For a while it brought the sugar readings down a little so we thought progress was being made, but eventually the A1c for my husband first stabilized for a bit at 7.1 (which the doctor told us was good), then we relaxed a bit and then a bit more - or at least my husband did. The number skyrocketed to an A1c over 9 last spring and lipid numbers that were high enough for the doctor to start talking about lipitor. Knowing we did not want to go down that road, I took my summer vacation and hit the research big time and at that time decided to put us on a low-carb diet (not worrying about limiting anything other than that.) We tested everything and if it made his BG spike more than 40 points it was not allowed in the diet. We had to do away with just about all starches and fruits completely.
His meter readings (after 6 months on this diet) are now usually between 105 and 115 before meals - fasting is usually a little higher. My fasting readings are in the high 80's. We would like to get his lower, so I am continuing the research.
BTW he is on 500mg Metformin twice a day. He has not had a glucose and lipid test since last June but is scheduled for one just before Christmas. We will then see what effect this diet has had on both the glucose and the lipids.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

First of all, I have to say that you're on the right track. Cutting back on the carbs will help to keep blood glucose figures in the normal range and moving to include good fats in the diet will help too.

Getting rid of the excess weight will also be helped by cutting back on carbs. In August 2010, I was around 180lbs - about 30 lbs overweight. Since then my diet has never been below 1800 calories per day - currently it's around 2100. By February this year I was down to 150lbs where I've stabilised.

It works!

A great site to review is Blood Sugar 101. The author of that site, Jenny Ruhl is diabetic, so she knows what we're going through. Her site covers the ground thoroughly without resorting to jargon or oversimplification. It's well worth an hour or two of your time.

The members of this forum are a great bunch (if you ignore me:D) and will help a lot with any questions you might have.

Again, welcome to the club but sorry you need to be here.

John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, John.

I have been to Blood Sugar 101; it is a great site and I have recommended it to others! That is where I learned about testing everything and that an A1c of 7 is not fine at all. :) Both of us have lost weight by low-carbing. We eat organic and grass-fed as much as possible and are trying to increase our intake of vegetables even more.
Now we're trying to find the key to getting his BG below 100 on a consistent basis.

RoseAnne

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi and welcome to DF. My husband and I are both type 2's also. I've been on Low Carb for almost 4 1/2 years. It didn't take me too long to realise the ADA diet didn't work for me either. As a Type 2 my bgs are as low as yours but on a good day they will be in the 90's-low 100's. You mentioned your husband is on metformin . I had to raise my metformin to 2550 before I saw a lower HbA1c on a consistent basis. I am so glad you started to research and found us.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Roseanne. You've certainly been doing your homework, and I'm glad you have now found US! :) Looking forward to getting better acquainted.

Many of us have discovered how well low-carb works, and by adding a higher percentage of fats we're maintaining good blood sugar, losing weight, and our lipids are smoothing out too. All from this simple & delicious way-of-eating.

Thank you for joining us . . . I hope you can visit often! :wave:

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Glad you signed up. Lots of smart people in these parts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts