The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum, but an old hand at diabetes. A type 1 since age 40....now 60. No long term complications.

Every thing usually stays in good control, but I am noticing an increased need for insulin in the past few days, even though diet is the same. I check blood sugar 4-5 times a day and take regular insulin before every meal....adjust dosages according to need. I also take Lantus as background. Regular Insulin demand has nearly doubled since saturday. I can't recall this happening before. Any thing to worry about?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Can't help you with the insulin question since I'm still NIDD, but sure want to welcome you to the forum, and there are many other members who'll be able to address this issue.

Thank you for joining us and I hope you'll be able to visit often. :)

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I am new to the forum, but an old hand at diabetes. A type 1 since age 40....now 60. No long term complications.

Every thing usually stays in good control, but I am noticing an increased need for insulin in the past few days, even though diet is the same. I check blood sugar 4-5 times a day and take regular insulin before every meal....adjust dosages according to need. I also take Lantus as background. Regular Insulin demand has nearly doubled since saturday. I can't recall this happening before. Any thing to worry about?
Just a thought - how old is the Insulin? Any chance that it's contaminated?
John

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just changed to a new bottle yesterday. So far no difference. I will cross check with my other meter, but I suspect the high readings are accurate, as I am not experiencing lows as a result of over dose.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Welcome Frankly. This is a good place to be. Starting to get quite a few Alabamians on here. Lol

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Frankly! :welcome:

Have you considered switching to rapid insulin from regular? I know I get more consistent results from rapid, most of the time.

Silly things like temperature changes sometimes affect me as well. Cold weather can bring on a basal increase.

Reactions: frankly

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to my doctor once about quicker acting insulin for meals, but he wanted me to stick with the regular. Since I began using Lantus for basal my lows have reduced considerably. I would still like to try it to see if it would help lower my highs. I'll take it up with him again next visit. I usually am a little above 6 on my A1c's.

Today, I am trying to be very conscious of ALL carbs, and things are going better. There are a lot of little things laying around the office that are very tempting and I think I may have been doing a little too much cheating (it doesn't take much & it becomes almost subconcious). I bought some no carb snacks that I can eat if the the temptation gets to much for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions....good stuff. This is great forum, glad I found it.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
99 Posts
You might be fighting an infection of some type, that can send your glucose skyward.

-Lloyd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts