The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. VA Dr wants to start me on insulin, so I signed up here to learn more about this, and hopefully get things under control. God Bless you all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I spose I should have said more. I read some of y'all's other posts, and realized I need to get off my pity pot. My name is John. I'm 50 Y/O, and it's no one's fault but my own that I'm in the situation I'm in. I have alot to be grateful for, as I am Blessed in so many ways. Thanks in advance for all the info I know i will get here.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well, it IS sort of a waste of time sitting on that pot (;)), but I think it happens to the best of us sometimes in the beginning, before we get a plan of action & begin to see rewards. You'll be fine - ask us anything you want to know. And believe me, some of the plans around here come with really quick rewards!

Hope you can visit often - thank you for joining us, John!

·
Registered
556 Posts
No problem. We all think Diabetes sucks. I don't know anything about insulin, but I want to say hi. You came to the right place for all the info. you need to get the situation under control. If you have any questions, ask away.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well since it is the VA I would guess that they will go with what ever is cheapest. Not always the best choice. If you get to choose I would pick Lantus and get the pens not the vials.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, John. There are plenty of people on here using insulin and I've heard it is best if you don't respond to Metformin XR. Keep reading and some of the people using it will come along and help you make that decision.

Luckily I am type 2 and so far under dietary control so I can't help except to tell you didn't cause this disease and going low carb will help a lot to help you lose any weight you want and maintain your control over your blood glucose. You might do well to read Blood Sugar 101 for more good, solid advice.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Starting insulin does not mean you should or would quit using metformin.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also just because u start insulin doesn't mean you failed. It's just life with a chronic disease

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hi. VA Dr wants to start me on insulin, so I signed up here to learn more about this, and hopefully get things under control. God Bless you all.
Hi John, another John here!

At the moment I'm in the lucky position of not needing medication - long may that continue:thumb: - but should the day come that my diet no longer gives me the control I demand, my first choice would be to use insulin rather than the oral drugs.
As Shanny has already mentioned, some of these drugs have side effects that make them "not very nice" (to put it politely). In addition the dose is such that balancing the blood glucose input against the drugs impact is rather hit and miss.
Insulin on the other hand is close to what your body would naturally produce and allows for fine control of dose to match the diet you want to eat.
I'm a firm supporter of Dr Richard Bernstein's "law of small numbers". In other words, keep the dose small, and you keep the scope for error small too! His book, "The Diabetes Solution" is well worth a read.
Another place worth exploring is Jenny Ruhl's site Blood Sugar 101. It's a bit less technical than Bernstein's book but is packed with useful information.
Bottom line - insulin, with or without other drugs is not something to worry yourself about as long as you manage it intelligently.

Good luck, John

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi John, many Type 2's do use either long acting or rapid acting insulin or both to help control your bgs. When your pancreas gets to the point that your beta cell production is almost nil, then there aren't a lot of other choices. Can you tell us what other oral meds or diet/exercise changes you have made so far. A few years ago my doctor wanted to put me on insulin, too. I resisted because of the high cost. So I doubled down on my low carb diet, exercise and raised my metformin. It worked and my bgs average in the 100 range, now. So if you aren't already restricting carbs and adding exercise I would try it. How much metformin do you currently use? I had to raise mine to the max- 2550 mg before I saw a significant drop in bgs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Insulin has a learning curve. When you start out, there is no way to know how much you will need, so those that know what they are doing start people off with small dosages, and very gradually increase (titrate) the dose. It can take weeks to find the right dosage, but if you go at it slowly and carefully, you will get there without getting too much. If you get too much insulin your glucose will go too low, this is an unpleasant experience, to say the least.
If you have questions, please ask away. I've been on insulin about 6 years, and a type II about 18.

-Lloyd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all that responded. My A1C started creeping up back in 1998 or so. I wasn't able to get it down (my fault, not dieting, not exercising seriously), so the VA started me on metformin and glipizide. I still didn't take it seriously enough, till last winter, when I got sober, and started exercising in earnest. I found out after I stopped drinking that my liver numbers were high, so they pulled me off metformin. I was able to get my A1C down to 7.0 with exercise, and some diet. But then it went back up again into the 9s, so I agreed to the insulin. I am taking 12 units of Novolin 70/30, and it has been going well. I am seeing this as my last chance, so I am back exercising again, and dieting to the point of counting carbs, measuring portions, etc. In other words, what I should have been doing ten years ago. My numbers these last few days have never been so good, so I'm psyched. I always said, if nothing else, I'm at least good for being a bad example of what NOT to do...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello and welcome tot he forum.
I am also new here and I also want to know about diabetes and how to treat it because I am suffering from this disease

1 - 15 of 15 Posts