Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Hello!

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  jwags 
I think a lot of us had no noticeable symptoms. I was very healthy, ate vegetarian and exercised a ton at the gym. I went to get my eyes checked because I thought I needed stronger reading glasses. Well, that was the beginning of my diagnosis. When they dilated my eyes they saw diabetic damage beginning. The Optahmologist was shocked because I was quite thin at the time. But without any symptoms my HbA1c was almost 11. That is why they say there are probably 80 million pre diabetics walking around not knowing that they have D. It is really a silent killer.

My kids are all grown now but I never remember them ever doing a fasting glucose check on any physical. If they just added that to most doctors visits we would pick up a lot of diabetes much earlier. I have to admit I was not good at going to annual checkups. But if more people were tested they could make the diet changes earlier preventing a lot of damage.

Reactions: Patdart
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.