Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Hello!

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  jwags 
#1 ·
My name is David and I've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes for about two years now. I'm really glad to have found this informative forum (during a Google search of "white coat syndrome" actually). It was a bit of a shocker when I was first diagnosed, being in my early 30's and only a little overweight at the time. Also, perhaps because I was still in that "early" stage, I really didn't feel any of the usual symptoms of diabetes that my doctor was telling me. (even now that my level is under control with medication, I don't really feel any different from before). But still I guess it's a good thing because this has motivated me to take better care of myself in terms of dieting and exercising.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your support! Hopefully besides a "taker" in the forum I will soon be able to be a giver of suggestions and supports as well!

I'm already learning something new from reading some of the posts - a high fat diet for diabetics to make up for the reduced carb intake. That's a completely new concept to me. Neither my doctor nor the diabetic course offered by my provider mentioned anything about that.

Discussion starter · #13 · (Edited)
I think this really shows the importance of having annual checkups even at an early age. I found out about my diabetes more or less by accident - one day after lunch I felt this sharp pain right below by abdomen. While at the ER they checked my blood sugar and it was a little high. The abdominal pain turned out to be nothing to worry about, but before they let me go the doctor suggested that I followed up on the high BG reading with an A1c test, and that was when I found out. Prior to this I've never been to a physical in my life.

I do have some idea about how I may have developed diabetes. During my grad school and postdoc years, I used to drink a LOT of sodas - I'm talking about two cans a day at the minimum for about 9 years. Of course I wasn't watching my carb intake at the time either, and I was fairly inactive. So now I try to think of this as a blessing in disguise, because it is forcing me to live a more healthy life at an early age .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.