The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Charlene and I am 32. I was diagnosed in October and have been working with my medical team to get my levels regulated. Metformin didn't work enough so a new drug was added and my levels are finally in the normal range. I still struggle with large fluctuations. I think I make my portions too big still since I have really cut back on carbs. I have lost almost 35lbs so that is helping. Look forward to making new friends and learning to live with a chronic disease 馃槂

Anti-Man Made Carbs!
welcome to the machine Chark!

Registered
Hello, Char . . . welcome to the club you never wanted to join. Looks like you've gotten some good information on management, and if you have any more questions, ask away.

How much metformin are you taking? Do you have any side effects from it? What is the new med they added? Be careful about sulfonylureas - they can cause permanent damage to your pancreas.

About how many carbs do you eat each day? Has your medical team suggested a certain number?

We're glad to have you with us & I hope you can visit often. Take care!

G

Hi Charlene and welcome to the Diabetes Forum. Wow, losing 35lb in two months is pretty dramatic!

As you've no doubt already discovered, this is a very friendly, supportive place with people who really do understand what you are going through, because it's happening to us as well.

Looking forward to seeing your posts in other threads as well.

Registered
Hi Charlene, welcome to DF. Can you tell us a little more about the dosages of the drugs you are on and what are your normal bgs? When I started metformin, I had to raise my dose 3 different times over 18 months to get my bgs low enough. Also carb restricition is very important. I probably eat more calories now and enjoy lots of different foods but the carb portion of my meal is very small. I also have increased the Fat portion of my meal. Also if you haven't started exercising try to find an activity you like to do and do it everyday. Diabetes is very manageable with some small changes in lifestyle.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am currently taking 1000mg metformin morning and night and 500mg at lunch. This lower my bgs but no enough so I now take 80mg of Gliclazide morning and night too. This one really did the trick as I now stay in the normal range of 4-7 before meals and 5-9 2 hrs after. I am so glad the second pill worked because I was really worried about being put on insulin right after being diagnosed. My dr told me that I will eventually be in it but I want to put that off as long as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts