The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Mike here from the DC area. I'm over 40, became a type 1 in 2009. I was not a type 2 previously. I joined to read up on some meter-talk. Ciao.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Mike we used to live in the DC area in Fairfax County. My kids loved growing up there. They weren't crazy when we moved to Ohio. Many type 1's now are being dx'd as adults. One one forum I saw a gentleman in his 80's dx'd as a
Type 1. I'm glad the medical community is catching on. This is a great support site.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and thanks. Small world huh?!

Yes, I live in Falls Church FFX, but I use "DC Area" since most people may not know where Falls Church is.

Yes I agree the medical community has come a long long way. I know this because I now talk to people with Diabetes and I understand things they don't know... or ever heard about... yet.

Thanks -M

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
We moved to Fairfax in the early 80's and then bought a house in Burke Center in 83. We left in 1990 with a job transfer. I'm sure the area has changed. I remember we sold our house for $200,000, I can just imagine what it is worth now. I guess we can't afford to return. But we did love the area, except for the traffic. My daughter graduated from college last spring and a lot of her friends are now working in DC. She is working in Spain and hopefully when she returns and finishes grad school will probably end up there. She did an Internship a few years ago and lived in Georgetown and loved it.

Reactions: Richard157

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Mike, welcome aboard! My wife was born and grew up very near Falls Church. Just a mile or so outside of the city limits.

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy. I grew up in Roanoke, VA. I love the Blue Ridge Mts. there. Now I live in NY, in the Catskill Mts. region. It is beautiful here too.

Richard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, things certainly have changed in the time I lived here. Moved to this area in 1995 and then here in 2000. My house went from $250 to $600. I should have sold it!! Now it's around 400k. Traffic is absolutely horrendous around here. Once you figure out how to get where you are going, it's tolerable. I go up to Bethesda a couple times a month and back here and find going thru Georgetown is faster than 495 during rush hour. Sad. But good for me. :) I'm sure your daughter loved Georgetown, it's quite the place. Thanks again Jwags -Mike

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Richard157 and Shanny. Thank you!

Small world. Catskills huh? My sister and b-inlaw used to go up there to get away from ... life. My family lives in NJ all over and in Westchester NY.

Thanks again!
Mike

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome aboard Mike!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hello Mike, welcome aboard! My wife was born and grew up very near Falls Church. Just a mile or so outside of the city limits.

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy. I grew up in Roanoke, VA. I love the Blue Ridge Mts. there. Now I live in NY, in the Catskill Mts. region. It is beautiful here too.

Richard
Richard I was Fishkill, NY area last year for a few days and I think I remember crossing a board pointing to Catskill while driving upto Albany....

Mike welcome to the Forum. You've come to the right place. How has your control been so far ?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I had 3 of my children at Fairfax Hospital in Falls Church. I remember making all these alternate route pland depending when I went into labor. We knew all the back ways cutting through all sorts of neighborhoods to avoid the major roads. When we moved to Burke Center it was all wooded and we got a really nice house for 120. Each year they chopped down more trees and expanded the road in front of our house. By the time we left we had 2 shopping malls, 2 schools and tons of Fast Food within walking distance. I know since we left they put in that super highway to Dulles right behind our street. I probably wouldn't recognize the place now. On a smaller scale the same thing is happening to us in Ohio, now. I guess it is time to move.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thosebackpages: Thank you!

Tony: Thanks. Control in the beginning was tough because I was mis-informed and they were not sure if I was a type 1 or 2.

History is interesting:

Day 1: Blurred vision. Phone consult with MD. Wait a day, then call eye dr.
Day 2: Eye doctor visit. Says "it's just stress, wait 2 weeks".
Day 3: Back to eye doctor. Same response.
Day 5: Can't read license plates & highway signs. Vision completely blurred.
Day 6: New eye doctor. Thinks I have a sugar problem. Sends me to a labcorp.
Day 7: Eye doctor calls my MD. MD sends me to ER. BG at 805, A1c at 11.5
Day 8: Still in hospital. On fluids and insulin.
Day 9: Told to take insulin for bg value (not bg PLUS what you are eating).
>> Also given metformin.
>> Endocrinologist at Johns Hopkins says I'm doing good. Keep up routine.
>> Six months later bg is all over the place.
>> Physician says to maintain better control.
>> Six months later bg still all over the place.
>> New endocrinologist as referred by MD....
>> New endrocinologist eye balls pop out. Says I'm type 1 treating it all wrong. Honeymoon period over. I get yelled at for waiting so long. :-(
>> Since then, I see the new Dr. every 3 months. A1c at Sept 2011 = 6.3, A1c at Dec 2011 = 7.0

New endocrinologist is the best dr. ever.

In the end I'm doing better but I only get a B in insulin management. Endocrinologist wants me to use a pump now to even further manage it better. I actually look forward to it...

I like this story because it says my eye doctor was smarter than most and did not dismiss me as "just stress".

Hope you find that interesting.
-M

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
thosebackpages: Thank you!

Tony: Thanks. Control in the beginning was tough because I was mis-informed and they were not sure if I was a type 1 or 2.

History is interesting:

Day 1: Blurred vision. Phone consult with MD. Wait a day, then call eye dr.
Day 2: Eye doctor visit. Says "it's just stress, wait 2 weeks".
Day 3: Back to eye doctor. Same response.
Day 5: Can't read license plates & highway signs. Vision completely blurred.
Day 6: New eye doctor. Thinks I have a sugar problem. Sends me to a labcorp.
Day 7: Eye doctor calls my MD. MD sends me to ER. BG at 805, A1c at 11.5
Day 8: Still in hospital. On fluids and insulin.
Day 9: Told to take insulin for bg value (not bg PLUS what you are eating).
>> Also given metformin.
>> Endocrinologist at Johns Hopkins says I'm doing good. Keep up routine.
>> Six months later bg is all over the place.
>> Physician says to maintain better control.
>> Six months later bg still all over the place.
>> New endocrinologist as referred by MD....
>> New endrocinologist eye balls pop out. Says I'm type 1 treating it all wrong. Honeymoon period over. I get yelled at for waiting so long. :-(
>> Since then, I see the new Dr. every 3 months. A1c at Sept 2011 = 6.3, A1c at Dec 2011 = 7.0

New endocrinologist is the best dr. ever.

In the end I'm doing better but I only get a B in insulin management. Endocrinologist wants me to use a pump now to even further manage it better. I actually look forward to it...

I like this story because it says my eye doctor was smarter than most and did not dismiss me as "just stress".

Hope you find that interesting.
-M
What a story. Sorry to hear you had to go through all this. Sometimes we wonder who made some these guys doctors ??

By the way from what I've heard and read on the forum a pump should really help !!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Tony. Yes, lots of information to read on pumps ... a ton more then expected!

The folks at Medtronic have been incredibly helpful too! I also have info request out to Omnipod.

Have a good one! -Mike

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Mike, that was a very unfortunate experience with all of the doctors, but you kept trying, and getting second opinions. You made the right moves and you are doing much better. Congratulations!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Richard. If there is anything I learned from my father is this: When you body disagrees with your doctor, there's a good chance your body is right and your doctor is wrong. He also used to say "For a doctor to be in the top 1%, then that means 99% are worse then him. What are the chances you found the 1%?"

Little tid bits.

Richard, your photo says "youth" and yet your signature says you have had diabetes for 66 years! Whatever your doing, it's working well for you. Anything particular keeping you young (other than the obvious great diet and care of yourself)?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. When I look in a mirror I see an old man. that picture was taken in 2008, in preparation for a magazine article. The professional photographer touched it up before it appeared in the magazine. My hair has remained its natural color, good genes from my father. Both my father and his father always had their natural hair color.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We all look in the mirror and see someone else. But considering your numbers, I'm sure your are doing it right!

Now if I can just get photoshop to touch me up in reality.... LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
"3 T of Coconut Oil daily"
Googled and read about this - you take 3 Tablespoons of coconut Oil daily? What does it do for you?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
"3 T of Coconut Oil daily"
Googled and read about this - you take 3 Tablespoons of coconut Oil daily? What does it do for you?
Lots of things - lipids control, weight loss, an easy way to include the fats we need in our diets to stabilize our blood sugar. You can find out a lot more by googling medium chain triglycerides. Coconut oil is an MCT, and conveys all the benefits.

Coconut Oil Health Benefits | Mark's Daily Apple

1 - 20 of 20 Posts