The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed in May 2010 (63 yrs) with having failed the GTT and a FBG of 170. They didn't take an A1C at the time but was probably in the high 7s. I was given the ADA guidelines, which I immediately recognized as being too carbey. I started researching and decided that a LC/HF diet was the way to go. I started eating to my meter and my next A1C six months later was 5.5, and it's been in the 5s ever since.

Living the LC lifestyle has become second nature to me now. Even with not being able to have much egg or dairy (food sensitivities) my way of eating is very satisfying.

Lately I have been decreasing protein and increasing fats, which has helped lower my overall BG levels (90s to 112 now, even pp) and keeps my FBS under 100. I've even seen some low 80s and high 70s in the last couple months. (Now, if it would only help lower my weight!)

My D is completely diet controlled. Hoping it can stay that way.

I recognize several names from another D forum - hi, y'all

G

·
Hello VeeJay and welcome to DF. You are doing really well with your control and that's an example for me. I was diagnosed a couple of months ago with a FBS of 7.6 at the age of 64. So far I'm managing well on a LC/HF diet and exercise. And my weight is slowly coming down. :)

It's good to have you here. Hope to hear a lot more from you in some of the other threads.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I recognize several names from another D forum - hi, y'all
I thought I recognized your name too, VeeJay . . . but I guess I've been banned from the "other" forum. Ah well - I didn't participate there anymore anyhow. It's certainly their loss - not mine! heheh

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome, Ann. I enjoy reading about how others cope with D - often gaining insight and ideas to try for myself.

Shanny, I've noticed a few "banned" members here. I don't cause waves (much) but got sort of bored after a couple more informed members left that forum (I have found them here!), and also was weary of the constant confrontational posts of some members.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Welcome, Veejay! I was also a member of that "other" forum but found out quickly that this is the place to be if you want a nice, fairly non-confrontational atmosphere.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Many of us here have discovered the same thing you have. Through trial and error we found the ADA diet is way too high carb for any decent diabetic control. Glad you found us.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome VJ!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I'm not on 'that' forum, but welcome you anyway. Without even knowing 'them' I'm sure we're better than 'they' are :)

Welcome aboard.

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 9 of 9 Posts