The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Maxwell but my friends call me Max ! I'm 39 have type 2 & I'm a full custody single dad of beautiful little girl who just turned 5 this December. It's good to meet you guys :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My name is Maxwell but my friends call me Max ! I'm 39 have type 2 & I'm a full custody single dad of beautiful little girl who just turned 5 this December. It's good to meet you guys :)
Good to meet you too, Max - welcome aboard! Make yourself at home here - looking forward to getting better acquainted. :cool:

G

·
Welcome, Max. I bet that gorgeous little five year old keeps you pretty busy!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome Max! Glad to have u aboard but I wish it was under different circumstances

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome to the only forum where nobody really wanted to be but where it's friendly and fun anyway! :p
I would rather be amongst friends on this forum than say, an ONCOLOGY Forum.

Welcome to the forum Max.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, Max! Good to have you aboard and hope you'll stay and tell us more about yourself and that lovely little girl. As well as how you are managing your diabetes with all the strain of raising a child alone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the wonderful welcome. Well I was diagnosed about three years ago when treated for a foot infection. I was under a lot of stress my wife left me & moved across the country then, the corporation I worked for closed. I went to the ER for An infected foot & ended up staying there for 14 days my sugar was in the 800's & I was told countless times I could be in a comma or worse. Despite there best efforts & the blandest food ever created, even after my foot surgery my levels still hovered in the high three hundred's. Upon release I did my own research & found a great endocrinologist. Feeling sick I didn't eat much & lost 60 lbs & with trial & error we found novolog worked really well with my levels.

It's been a struggle but my daughter is a great team mate & things are getting back on track. We face each day with a smile, she's looking forward to starting school & I'm hoping to get my career going again. I was a financial analyst making 6 figures living in a beautiful apartment to now living in a trailer. But we never gave up & I'm hopeful. Well that's my story. Lol.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I would rather be amongst friends on this forum than say, an ONCOLOGY Forum.

Welcome to the forum Max.
A most excellent point, Tim!

Max ... welcome! :welcome:

Looking forward to getting acquainted!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well that's my story. Lol.
And it's quite a story, Max! One of perseverance, humility & devotion to the youngster who depends on you for everything. You have all my best wishes for success - your little trailer prob'ly keeps you just as warm & dry as the lovely apartment did. Sometimes less is more.

I'm glad you found a doc you like who works with you. Are you using a basal insulin along with the novalog?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Thanks everyone for the wonderful welcome. Well I was diagnosed about three years ago when treated for a foot infection. I was under a lot of stress my wife left me & moved across the country then, the corporation I worked for closed. I went to the ER for An infected foot & ended up staying there for 14 days my sugar was in the 800's & I was told countless times I could be in a comma or worse. Despite there best efforts & the blandest food ever created, even after my foot surgery my levels still hovered in the high three hundred's. Upon release I did my own research & found a great endocrinologist. Feeling sick I didn't eat much & lost 60 lbs & with trial & error we found novolog worked really well with my levels.

It's been a struggle but my daughter is a great team mate & things are getting back on track. We face each day with a smile, she's looking forward to starting school & I'm hoping to get my career going again. I was a financial analyst making 6 figures living in a beautiful apartment to now living in a trailer. But we never gave up & I'm hopeful. Well that's my story. Lol.
Our posts crossed ...

You have definitely been through it. But you're doing all the right things, and have a great attitude!

Thank you for joining us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No my novolog pen serves me just fine, I compensate according to my current BS level & the carb count of my meal & that usually keeps me in the norm level, sometimes my pancreas kicks in & I end up a little low 70's but I have gotten pretty proficient @ recognizing the signs of that fairly early & can compensate for that.

G

·
What a great attitude, Max. Your daughter is lucky to have you as an example. It must have been very tough for you on many occasions in the last few years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts