The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-I am a 52 yr old male.
-Morbidly obese @ 475 lbs (6' tall)
-I was diagnosed two weeks ago with type II.
-BS was 300 at time of diagnosis.
-Was put on 30 units Lantus every morning and 500 mg Metformin before bed.
-Doing LC/HF diet.
-BS has been testing between 200 and 150 for about a week now. Hoping it's normal for Lantus to takes a while to bring it into range.

Anyway... you folks have a great site here and I'm sure glad I found it.

I need your help.

Hammer :)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Welcome aboard, Hammer! It looks like you have the right idea of how to start getting control of your numbers. Have you had an A1c done yet? I'm not on any meds for my diabetes so I can't help you with meds questions but if you need any other type of help. Fire away!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We're glad you found us too! Welcome, Hammer!

You have a good combination going with the LCHF, metformin & insulin. It will take the metformin a little time to kick in, but your diet & insulin will be working quickly. That's a good starter dose of metformin, but it could be raised a lot if need be.

Was there any discussion about putting you on bolus insulin?

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Welcome Hammer! I landed here after being dx'ed with high numbers too, and the information and support I got here was invaluable in turning things around. I got my real education here, even though I was seeing an endocrinologist (who I mistakenly thought would have all the answers.)

Congrats on going LC/HF - did your doc recommend that, or was it a result of your own research?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It took me awhile to get my bgs totally under control with LC diet an metformin. The metformin can take up to a month to start working. The metformin you are on is a very small amount compared to some of us. If you are finding your morning numbers don't budge you might want to increase it. Usually with Lantus you work with your doctor increasing it slowly until you get your fastings in the range they need to be. Also some people split their Lantus in 2 doses morning and night because they find it doesn't last 24 hours. Have you started to exercise that also helps alot.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Lots of diabetics find exercising before or after meals really helps in control. The best thing to do is find a type of exercise that you enjoy. I mostly walk. I started out with a mile or so and now routinely walk 4-5 miles. I also love to play tennis so I play several days a week. The benefits of exercise sometimes last 24 hours after you exercise.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I have a stationary bike in my office and I started riding it today.
Hammer, You are making all the right moves (exercise, LCHF diet, meds) and improvement will only increase going forward.

Welcome to the Forum.

If you can for the next few days test a lot using your meter. It will be quite a revelation. Obviously try to avoid (or reduce portion) all foods spiking you more than 50 points as of now.

You ultimate aim will be to be about 100 before meals and less than 140 2 hours after. It may take a little long to get there but as I said you are taking all the correct steps

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome to the machine, HAMMA TIME!!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Lots of diabetics find exercising before or after meals really helps in control. The best thing to do is find a type of exercise that you enjoy. I mostly walk. I started out with a mile or so and now routinely walk 4-5 miles. I also love to play tennis so I play several days a week. The benefits of exercise sometimes last 24 hours after you exercise.
I agree, it really does help.

I try and time my exercise so it's timing when my blood sugar is at it's peak (usually 1 hour after eating)

So for example if I eat lunch at 12:00 , I start exercising at 12:45, at 12:55 I really push myself for 10 minutes, and try and burn off the blood sugar.

I'm lucky enough to work from home, so I can break my day up around exercise.

My regime at the moment is :
10:30 brisk walk - 10mins
12:45 - mike ride - 30 mins
3:30 - brisk walk - 10mins
7pm brisk walk - 30 mins

(as I get fitter, I go further, but keep the time the same)

I do more at the weekends

But really does help to keep the blood sugar levels down (Im working towards nothing higher than 7mmol (126) as a goal

Which reminds me, off for a bike ride ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts