The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi My name is Raquel,
I've been hanging around for awhile now reading others post and I really like how helpful and nice everyone is. Now I am ready to introduce myself. I am a 37 year old single mother of four, whose been diagnosed as a type one for about ten years now. I currently take 15 units of Lantus daily and use a sliding scale of Novolog with each meal. I've been hospitalized with DKA more than ten times in the last three years due to my inability to face reality uponn initial diagnoses. I can finally say that now with minor complications I get it even though I still struggle with control I am at least now conciously trying really hard to make the changes needed. It is really hard I think the hardest thing I have ever had to do. My diet is the biggest problem now and this is because I have always been a picky eater even before being diagnosed. I know what I should be eating just cant force myself to eat things that I have never eaten before in my life. I also suffer from I call it irritable bowels even though I haven't gotten a real diagnoses for the issue except to have been told that the consistent high blood sugars probably have damaged the nerves in my stomach. So now even some healthy foods like whole grains cant be tolerated. Anyway I see an Endocrinologiss for treatment and am praying that this year will be better than last. Last year I had two hospitalizations for DKA. I am really glad I found this site.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Raquel! :welcome:

Glad you found us. You'll find lots of info and support here.

I had severe digestive trouble before diagnosis, but things improved approximately 1,000% when my glucose levels approached normal. I hope this will prove true for you, too!

You mention you're on a sliding scale with Novolog. I use the stuff, too. You might want to do a search on "carb counting." Counting carbs in a meal (before you eat it) and dosing yourself accordingly might work better for you.

As for food ... yeah, major challenge. What kind of diet are you on? Many of us eat low-carb, high-fat. Maybe something on our Recipes sub-board will tempt you.

So ... grab a comfy chair, look around and ask lots of questions!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome to the machine!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Raquel . . . it's great to have you with us & I thank you for joining us! Make yourself at home here & ask everything you wanna know . . . there's so much experience, knowledge & wisdom here - you're sure to find some good advice. It's a tough road for sure - don't let it get you down. It's so good to see you're ready to take control - you can do it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I had a lot of stomach problems and bloating before diagnosis too. I found the main culprit to be all those "healthy grains" that I was eating. In order to control my bgs I gave up the wheat, oats, barley and most grains. I still eat seeds like Flaxseed, Chia Seed and some other seeds to get my fiber. The low carb has been the best thing for my bgs and now they are in a pretty consistent reading.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Raquel, welcome aboard! Shalynne is correct, using carb counting is a great idea, and will give you more stable control with fewer highs and lows. I recommend the book "Using Insulin" by John Walsh. It covers carb counting and many other useful topics.

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy. Take good care of yourself and you can have a long, healthy life.

Richard

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, Raquel, it's good to see you ready to 'remake' yourself. I used to be a picky eater and in a way I still am, but I have learned to love many new foods and the way I'm picky now is how I eat...I'm finding I much prefer the way I prepare food and not fond of 'prepared' foods anymore.

In any case, you'll learn a lot about good food here and how to feed yourself in order to be in control of your blood sugar and hopefully not have to suffer DKA this year again.

It's really not that difficult and you'll feel so much better. Do read our recipe section for some great ideas!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Cheers! Here's to no DKAs in 2012!

Welcome to the forum - thanks so much for delurking ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts