The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm 50 yrs old been married 28 yrs 3 kids 6 grandkids. I have had hyperglycemia most of my life till I woke one day to diabetes type 2 back in 2002. Have struggled with it and denial for years. One minute I take care of it the next I pretend I'm fine. Not sure why it's such a struggle for me but it is. I hate having this disease. But here lately I have noticed a return to my migraines and thought they were from menopause which I now have. But when my son for me incoherent on the floor the other day I realized maybe it's time to take this disease serious. So I'm back on my metformin and trying to once again figure out my blood sugar rescinds and also decided I am tired of fighting this on my own so to speak which is where y'all come in.my family is great bout encouraging me but they arnt the ones fighting this disease so here I am. Sorry this post is so long got kinda carried away lol

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Suzi, welcome to DF. I think the most important thing about regaining bg control is to do a ton of testing with your bg meter. Usually when you have hypoglycemia it is because you are Insulin Resistant and actually your body makes way too much insulin which hits all at once. With diabetes eventually all that extra insulin production may also make our beta cells kind of poop out. So we can be insulin resistant and insulin insufficient at the same time. Many doctors don't tell type 2's to test alot. But testing will give you lots of information that you can use to tweak your bgs. We call this Eating to your Meter. By testing 2 hours after meals you will discover what foods spike you and which ones give you great bgs. By using this method I have eliminated many things from my diet that spike me. I no longer eat cereal, wheat, any type of bread, fruit, pasta, rice or white potatoes. I still get to eat tons of great food- lots of meat, cheese, eggs, veggies, nuts, seeds and baked goods made from almond meal.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome! It occurs to me that it may help you to read the posts called breakfast, lunch and dinner menus (meals) which many post to as you struggle along to learn what you can eat safely. At least safely for most of us. As Jwags said, you have to do a LOT of testing to learn what you can eat...we're all slightly different, so what works for one may not work for another. Also BloodSugar101.com will have a lot of information and help for you.

In any case, good for you for grabbing hold of your life and ask anything you want to know and someone of us will be glad to help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply's. I had a Dr. apt yesterday and we are trying to figure out the amount of metformin I need. It's kind of hard cause I go on it and then when I start feeling better and my BG's get better I decide I'm all well and don't need the meds anymore and then I'm right back when I started. I really hate this disease. I was talking to my Dr. yesterday and he says "What am I gonna do with you"? I said you can tell me I'm all cured and he said "you want me to lie ?" Of course I said YEP. He just laughed. My Dr. is a great Dr he has no problem spending time talking and helping but sometimes it just don't help me, I get so frustrated. Now I am back on metformin once a day and taking my BG's when I first get up and two hours after I eat. I am gonna be 50 yrs old on the 16th of this month and I know what I'm supposed to do but I hate it. You would think after 10 years I would be used to it by now. I had a motorcycle wreck back in April the week before Easter, all I had was a scrape on my knee and I had to go to the ER they put in 9 stitches. A week after Easter I ended up in the hospital and stayed 30 days. I ended up with cellulitus which I didn't even know was a type of staff. Ended up on insulin almost lost my leg and just know able to walk with out a walking stick. And I know that being a diabetic made things worse and I hate it. I have to wear shoes now when I never used to have to. I mean I am so grateful that I managed to make it to 50 especially with all the crazy things I do but sometimes like now I get on my poor pitiful me kick :violin:. Sorry I got carried away with the whining but my poor husband has been listening to it for the last couple of days since I passed out and decided to change my diet etc.
Thanks everyone for listening.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
You know, susie, that no one can help you but yourself! It truly is a matter of grabbing yourself by the 'shorthairs' and making a list of all the good things you can now have that you've thought were forbidden foods up to now...that did it for me, so maybe it'll work for you? Like, darn it, I have to make all my own ice cream with full cream not milk. I have to eat real butter, not margarine darn it! Simple stuff like that!

Where about is Magnolia, Tx? I was born in E. Texas and grew up there. Just curious if you don't mind giving general area?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know, susie, that no one can help you but yourself! It truly is a matter of grabbing yourself by the 'shorthairs' and making a list of all the good things you can now have that you've thought were forbidden foods up to now...that did it for me, so maybe it'll work for you? Like, darn it, I have to make all my own ice cream with full cream not milk. I have to eat real butter, not margarine darn it! Simple stuff like that!

Where about is Magnolia, Tx? I was born in E. Texas and grew up there. Just curious if you don't mind giving general area?
It is 15 miles outside of Tomball Texas. Which is 45 mins from downtown Houston Texas.
Thanks for the kick in the pants so to speak ;) I never thought about making my own ice cream or eating butter instead of margarine. But doesnt ice cream have sugar in it. I plan on getting a pasta maker and make my own whole wheat pasta. I have a bread maker and am gonna start making my own bread etc. I don't eat a lot of pasta etc but when I do it's always in small quanties. and I used to be a PASTA JUNKIE :D. It has been hard to change my diet all the way around.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum Suzi - glad to have you aboard.

You might want to hold off on getting a pasta maker - it's a rare T2 diabetic who can get away with eating it and keep their meds down. Pasta is one of the highest-spiking foods for me. Same with bread. I have a friend who's diabetic and still eats whole grain bread, but her numbers are way higher than mine are.

I know what you mean about being a junkie - I went through pasta stages, but my biggest junk foods were rice and fruit. And bread. And carbs, period.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Suzie, I gave my pasta maker away as well as my bread maker...if you read Bloodsugar101.com you'll get a much better idea of how you will need to eat...no fruits, no pasta, no potatoes, no bread, but you'll keep your eyesight, your legs, your feet. In the long run you'll become a much more creative cook and will feel better.

Oh, and altho' conventional ice cream does have sugar in it, there are a big variety of artificial sugars that we can use in our home made. Sour cream is another treat that is legal, by the way. (Not on potatoes of course, but mashed cauliflower is wonderful with it and butter! Keep reading and you'll learn the secrets!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts