The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I'm lexi, and I'm 22. I was recently diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic but had a diagnosis happen as diabetic in November. I also have autism spectrum disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, so management is a little difficult. I've been doing it with diet and exercise and only went above ten once. My best is a 8.3, my worst was 11.5.
I am working on getting a freestyle libre as the finger pricks I cannot do independently (and I am hopeful our insurance will cover it and make an exception for a non insulin dependent diabetic who has a intellectual disability and might benefit better) and they're painful as heck. :c

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
hi I'm lexi, and I'm 22. I was recently diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic but had a diagnosis happen as diabetic in November. I also have autism spectrum disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, so management is a little difficult. I've been doing it with diet and exercise and only went above ten once. My best is a 8.3, my worst was 11.5.
I am working on getting a freestyle libre as the finger pricks I cannot do independently (and I am hopeful our insurance will cover it and make an exception for a non insulin dependent diabetic who has a intellectual disability and might benefit better) and they're painful as heck. :c
Welcome lexi. I hope things get better and you are able to get the libre

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
Welcome to the forum, lexi! Good for you for taking on your diabetes with diet and exercise! Let us know when you get the Libre!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum, lexi! Good for you for taking on your diabetes with diet and exercise! Let us know when you get the Libre!
I meant just diet, sorry guys! I must have typed it out by mistake. It has been working and I have a friend who is the same type who's been helping me. I live in a place where we currently have snow on the ground, and I've never been able to tolerate extreme temperature well.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Welcome

This is a good place to learn about managing diabetes because the members here are actively doing just that. Many here, myself included, have only made dietary changes as their main management tool.

Many of us here also adhere to a low-carb way of eating - more specifically, a low-carb/high-fat (moderate protein). I started out eating only 30 grams of carbs per day, and quickly found that this is about the most carbs my body can process - about 10g per meal. It took a while to discover for myself what this level of carb consumption looked like, but now it's just second nature. My A1Cs are usually in the mid-5% level or lower.

If you want to know what this way of eating looks like, take a look at the meal threads here in the diet forum: https://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/
There is a good website that is a good place to learn about the LCHF way of eating, food lists, etc. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Do visit the forum often, and read the threads. We're all here to support and learn from each other. And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Hope you get the Libre, it would be nice to be able to keep tabs on your BG without having to always prick your finger to use a meter. The use of a continuous glucose monitor doesn't do away with the need of a meter, but I hear it greatly reduces it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum Lexi. I think you will like it here. I've learned a lot from everyone here. Hope to see you around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts