The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone ,
Type 2 , diagnosed January 7,2020. I’ve been having a really hard time with all the dietary changes I’ve been forced to make. I’m eating keto/low carb and I’m not a huge fan of the diet, still my blood sugar numbers are stable now and I’m not feeling great. I’m on 1500 mg of metformin er and my tummy has been fine. Hope everyone is doing ok during the quarantine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
Welcome to the forum, cecilia!

I'm glad to see that eating low carb/keto is keeping your blood glucose stable. It is an adjustment to eat that way after the standard American diet. Are there foods that you miss or haven't adjusted to yet?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hello everyone ,
Type 2 , diagnosed January 7,2020. I’ve been having a really hard time with all the dietary changes I’ve been forced to make. I’m eating keto/low carb and I’m not a huge fan of the diet, still my blood sugar numbers are stable now and I’m not feeling great. I’m on 1500 mg of metformin er and my tummy has been fine. Hope everyone is doing ok during the quarantine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey there, and welcome to the forum. It's been 3 years for me. I remember thinking that I didn't think I could do this. Three years later, I'm doing it. Making healthy choices gets easier when you think of the alternatives. Diabetes is a horrible disease if you don't manage your BG. I've seen first hand the horrors of this disease, and I've also seen how healthy a life you can lead if you watch your blood sugar.

What is your A1C?

Good luck to you. Hope you continue to post. This community has been a real support system!

·
Super Moderator
9,523 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

With all the different advice out there, it is very difficult to try to figure out what to eat. What we eat has the biggest impact on our blood sugars (BG). As diabetics, our major concern early on is controlling our BG. Foods that raise our BG up into damaging levels need to be cut out or greatly reduced. Several of those so called healthy foods are not diabetic friendly. If we do not manage our BG at safe levels, we will end up with complications that are brought about by high BG and insulin levels. Many things are claimed to be healthy and unhealthy, many are and many aren't. What may be healthy for some people may not be healthy for others.

Diabetes is a disease that takes our blood sugar management out of cruise control and we have to take hold of the gas pedal. We each decide what speed (BG level) we are comfortable at. I choose to do what it take my BG in as near normal numbers as I can, for me that is 30 grams of carbs or less per day. I was worried at first that I would be very limited on what I could eat. After being low carb for 10 years and keto for 8 years, I can say the variety of foods that I can and do eat has increased.

There is lots of info out there that can be helpful in managing BG and keeping the complications of diabetes away. There is also lots of info out there that can be harmful. It pays dividends to do your own research and not just take things on face value. Just because the ADA (American Diabetes Association) makes recommendations doesn't mean they will work for everybody. One thing that can help separate fact from fiction is having and using a meter to test your blood sugar.

I think you've already discovered that a low carb diet does help keep your BG down. Maybe we can help make you a bigger fan of the diet.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
:welcome:
Welcome to the club that no one really wants to join! However, joining this forum was the best thing that I have done.
Hope you stick around and interact with us!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum, cecilia!

I'm glad to see that eating low carb/keto is keeping your blood glucose stable. It is an adjustment to eat that way after the standard American diet. Are there foods that you miss or haven't adjusted to yet?
I miss everything. This diet is horrible and I’m completely unhappy with it. The sugar free, low carb substitutes are not appealing other than maybe truvia for coffee and SF jello. I honestly do not see myself ever being happy with this way of eating. It feels forced, I feel like I’m dealing with an eating disorder and I can’t seem to gain weight, which I absolutely need to do. I think at this point I hate eating and only take care of myself because I have a son and I don’t want to leave him without me, but as far this disease, I feel it’s stopped my life . :sad2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey there, and welcome to the forum. It's been 3 years for me. I remember thinking that I didn't think I could do this. Three years later, I'm doing it. Making healthy choices gets easier when you think of the alternatives. Diabetes is a horrible disease if you don't manage your BG. I've seen first hand the horrors of this disease, and I've also seen how healthy a life you can lead if you watch your blood sugar.

What is your A1C?

Good luck to you. Hope you continue to post. This community has been a real support system!
It’s not that I can’t do it, it’s that I’m unhappy doing it . My A1C started at 9.8 in January 2020. My newest A1C as of last week is 5.6. To me , I don’t see ever really being happy with the diet and lifestyle. It’s been forced in me and I’m not free to live as I want to. So to me, a healthy lifestyle , one where all I’m doing is controlling this monster is not a happy one. It’s sad but it is how I feel .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum.

With all the different advice out there, it is very difficult to try to figure out what to eat. What we eat has the biggest impact on our blood sugars (BG). As diabetics, our major concern early on is controlling our BG. Foods that raise our BG up into damaging levels need to be cut out or greatly reduced. Several of those so called healthy foods are not diabetic friendly. If we do not manage our BG at safe levels, we will end up with complications that are brought about by high BG and insulin levels. Many things are claimed to be healthy and unhealthy, many are and many aren't. What may be healthy for some people may not be healthy for others.

Diabetes is a disease that takes our blood sugar management out of cruise control and we have to take hold of the gas pedal. We each decide what speed (BG level) we are comfortable at. I choose to do what it take my BG in as near normal numbers as I can, for me that is 30 grams of carbs or less per day. I was worried at first that I would be very limited on what I could eat. After being low carb for 10 years and keto for 8 years, I can say the variety of foods that I can and do eat has increased.

There is lots of info out there that can be helpful in managing BG and keeping the complications of diabetes away. There is also lots of info out there that can be harmful. It pays dividends to do your own research and not just take things on face value. Just because the ADA (American Diabetes Association) makes recommendations doesn't mean they will work for everybody. One thing that can help separate fact from fiction is having and using a meter to test your blood sugar.

I think you've already discovered that a low carb diet does help keep your BG down. Maybe we can help make you a bigger fan of the diet.
Thank you. Honestly I don’t see myself ever being ok or happy with this diet. Also I didn’t see myself ever 100% giving up everything I used to eat. It’s just not realistic for me to say I will never have pasta, a donut, cereal, bread etc. I mean I do it about 95% of the time but if I try and cut everything out forever, I know it will lead to binging and then nit caring anymore . I used to be a foodie, I loved trying new things , but this disease has made me HATE meat, cheese, eggs, cauliflower, yogurt and such. I used to ,love those things, not anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:welcome:
Welcome to the club that no one really wants to join! However, joining this forum was the best thing that I have done.
Hope you stick around and interact with us!
Thank you , sorta :smile2:. Trust me , this is one club I would happily not be part of. I’m on a lot of different forums and discovered this in Tapatalk. I am nit as active in it yet, but I have my whole life to do so I guess .

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
cecilia, I'm sorry this eating plan isn't doing it for you. You've struck on an essential: it's easier to keep at it if you (at least generally) like what you're eating. If you don't, it will feel like work, no matter how good it is for your blood glucose. And though it can be an adjustment for most people to go low carb, you've been trying it for at least a couple of months.

Maybe an intermediate level is in order. There is a wide range between the amount of carbs you eat with keto/low carb and the amount that the standard diabetic diet calls for you to eat. Maybe meet somewhere in the middle?

A big issue in managing diabetes is keeping your blood glucose range narrow and, ideally, low, though studies suggest that the narrow range is more important than keeping the number as low as it can go.

Keeping the range narrow, though, is kind of hard to do if you're taking in 45-60 grams of carbs in at each meal and then having to counteract that with met or other drugs or insulin. But maybe you could live with 15-20 grams of carbs per meal and then address that with whatever controls it best? 15-20 grams is a slice of bread or a portion of noodles or some fruit. You'd still be controlling your BG better than many people and you might not feel deprived all the time. You might need to go even higher at some meals to make it work for you.

Of course, all this gets run past your health-care providers because they'll have to work with you on it. But if keto/low carb just isn't viable for you, maybe something a little more expansive will do the job for you without requiring all the meds and causing all of the side effects.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts