The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, am new to this and found this site while looking for information regarding my newly diagnosed situation with diabetes. I hope to learn what I need to do to control my glucose levels.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Frank! As people say here, nice to have you here but sorry about the reason.

You don't mention if you're Type 1 or Type 2 (there's even a Type 1.5 or LADA). Which type of diabetes do you have?

Many of us have chosen to manage our blood glucose levels by following a low-carbohydrate eating plan. After all, if our bodies have problems managing carbs, why eat lots of them? A good resource for starting to understand blood glucose and how food and insulin affect it is the Web site Blood Sugar 101. Please take a look at that when you get a chance and then feel free to come back and read some recent posts or post questions you may have.

We're also looking forward to hearing about your experiences and what makes things work for you. It's possible to manage diabetes and not have it manage you. We'd like to help you with that.

·
Super Moderator
9,632 Posts
Hi Frank, welcome to the forum.

There are different types of diabetes and with each, different types of treatment.

I am a Type 2 and my preferred method is to try to control my BG thru my diet, with exercise, and a minimal amount of medication. I have been eating low carb for for about 10 years and keto (very low carb) for around 8 or 9 years. I try to stay below 30 grams of carbs per day. but have strayed some since retiring last July and may be eating 50 grams on occasion - OK maybe more than on occasion LOL. My A1c has gone from 5.2 to about 5.6% so I'm not too bad. I ride a road bike for exercise. I take 1000 mg/day regular metformin, I had quit it several years ago because I wanted to be med free, but started it back up again because of its other benefits.

The forum is a great place for support in managing your BG. Members here have a lot of experience to share about what has and has not worked for them. Feel free to ask as many questions that come to mind. Remember, the only bad questions are those not asked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not quite sure as to my type, but my doctor is using diet to manage it at this time, so I guess type 2.? Thank you for the link to Blood sugar 101, that is just what I need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts