The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there-
I am a a medical provider that specializes in diabetes & chronic disease management. I also have a family history of diabetes. My dad was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes about 21 years ago. Now that he is in late 60´s, his Diabetes plus normal age-process, is I noticed to be different that in those of non-diabetic persons. I have a personal interest in staying up-to-date with information so I can help my dad and others stay in optimal health, while maintaining this condition under control. Throughout, the years I have gathered lots of information on this, and I´m happy to help with any feedback that may be useful for folks managing this. I also would like to learn how others are dealing with this condition and possibly learn new tips myself.
-Arlene

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Hello, Arlene! Welcome!

We have some posters who are taking care of family members (or "chosen family" members). Support is so important. I've seen the resolve of many diabetics founder in the environment they find themselves. Someone with a medical background and experience brings a special added dimension to this.

I'm looking forward to your participation in the conversations here! Are there particular areas where you're seeking the experiences of this group?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, Arlene! Welcome!

We have some posters who are taking care of family members (or "chosen family" members). Support is so important. I've seen the resolve of many diabetics founder in the environment they find themselves. Someone with a medical background and experience brings a special added dimension to this.

I'm looking forward to your participation in the conversations here! Are there particular areas where you're seeking the experiences of this group?
Nothing in particular, just happy to engage. And yes, support is so important! 😊

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Hi Arlene, welcome to the forum.

Being a caregiver can be a tough job. I can see it being even tougher when it is a family member.

How are your dad's blood glucose numbers looking over the past 21 years? How has his management changed over this time? What are you noticing to be different as far as the aging process for your dad (if I read that right)? Not sure what late 60's is but I'm getting closer at 66 and may need to be on the lookout for what I might be taking as normal. Always looking for insight on keeping up the quality and increasing the longevity of my existence.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts