The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been awaiting the A1c3 and a cpeptide, the nurse called this morning and said they were " normal" then she says well, the A1c3 may have been a little high 5 something. So my question is why is my blood sugar running 120 upon waking to 205 an hour after eating ( before I cut out carbs)? I have cut out carbs and sugar the last two weeks and feel SO much better and my blood sugar is coming dn to a more normal range, my blurry vision has cleared up and my acheing muscles and fatigue are all but gone. I was also having false hypoglycemic periods when my BS would drop under 120 ( you guys helped me figure that out)? That too has stopped after I cut the carbs and sugar.
My question is, is there any other BS/BG problem that could cause all of these symptoms? I am floored???
I have not had the 4 hour test ( forget the name,lol). Should I insest on that???? Help please??

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
the A1C is average BG level, so a 200 for 1/2 hour and a 60 for 3 hours is not a bad level.

the eye swells (and vision gets bleary) when BG are high and it takes a while to unswell.

If your body is used to High BG when it comes down to a normal level, 120 it feels low.

Given the second two answers your A1C should have been higher.

Ask for a glucose tolerance test.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It seems to me that the glucose tolerance test is in order also . . . you presented with many symptoms last month, and you've been all over the map with your readings these past weeks. There is a issue of some sort with your blood sugars, and if your doc doesn't want to pursue it, then he needs to refer you to an endocrinologist. Get a copy of those lab results too, and keep it on file . . . I'm always a little miffed when they start telling me "normal". Those tests have numbers attached to them, and we deserve to know the numbers.

You might also check if he'll switch you to the extended release version of metformin - the side effects are often reduced with the XR version. Metformin works to stabilize your blood sugars by reducing your body's insulin resistance, letting your pancreas get a little rest.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The OGTT is a good idea. Shanny hit the nail on the head - by all means get a copy of your tests. Then use a datavase or spread sheet to keep them recorded. This will help you tract your progress or lack of it. It will also let you know when something is not looking like it should.

When something is going the wrong direction and your doctor does not look that closely, you can ask the doctor to take another look. I sometimes do not take a print out with me, but I do review past progress before my appointment to know what to look for. Last time I found something and had the doctor review it. He agreed that a change in medication was in order. Did he say he missed it - not even.

Keep a positive attitude and take advantage of the possibility of being able to eventually manage it with exercise and nutrition and get off meds.

·
Registered
204 Posts
................ . . . I'm always a little miffed when they start telling me "normal". Those tests have numbers attached to them, and we deserve to know the numbers............
Hi tantoria2 - It's good to meet you!

I'm with Shanny on this issue, I always ask for a print out of the results these days and they give me one quite readily.

I'm fed up of the days when they used to tell me everything was OK or "noramal" when it quite obviously wasn't because I was getting worse albeit slowly - "progressing" they call it. Why did they think it was OK? That was because I hadn't reached the stage where I needed tablet or insulin medication. They never said anything to me about rreversing my blood glucose trend by changing my diet. It was all so easy for me in the end when I learned what to do.

When I was diagnosed my HbA1c was still at 5.7% and my fasting blood glucose level was only 7.2 mmol/l (130 mg/dl). If that reading had been at 6.9 mmol/l (124 mg/dl) then I think that they may very well have been telling me that I wasn't diabetic. It can be a very narrow line and the cut offs they use are quite arbitary. I really do believe that my Type 2 process had started quite a lot of years before I reached that stage.

Good luck and best wishes - John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts