The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my wits end here, I need a way to affordably control my partners sugars and help him lose weight. He has already suffered from complications from diabetes and was bedridden for almost 2 years, and was able to come back from that, he lost 50+ pounds, but once he was better he put it back on Radiculopathy. Now he refuses to check his sugars wont consider insulin because he doesn't want to live like that....Any help before its too late???? He is fussy with food & prefers high fat and carb foods...a recipe for disaster.

:(

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Unless/until he gets on board with it, I can't imagine how he can be helped and I can imagine your concern when he's stubbornly against the very things that would improve his lot. I'd think going on insulin & living "like that" (how exactly IS that, anyhow? What's so bad about taking insulin?) would be greatly preferable to being bedridden for two years.

He doesn't have to kick the fats - he can eat all the bacon & butter he wants, but he must kick the carbs. It's the carbs that are killing him.

Would he be willing to join our forum? We'd be delighted to meet him & help any way we can. How old is he & how long has he had diabetes?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I understand your frustration. I have a Type 2 husband that refuses to test too. Luckily I cook low carb and he pretty much sticks to it unless he goes out for luch and then who knows. The one thing my husband does do is exercise, every day which I think does help him control his bgs a little even if he doesn't test. Somehow you have to convince him that this is his fight and he needs to test and change his diet and exercise. As Shanny said the high fat is not the problem but the high carbs definitely are not good. If you could just get him to test 2 hours after a high carb meal he could see the numbers and numbers don't lie. That is what took me to change my high carb ways.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure he wouldn't join, as he sees these forums as a waste of time mostly. He says he is fine so there is nothing to worry about after all when he was diagnosed in 1996 they did a panel of 104 tests and they all came back showing he was otherwise perfectly healthy. So his view is that all is fi.e except his sugar is too high which is caused by something else and it will so.ehiw just cure itself. He is 45 years old. His sugars are always in the 200s minimum. That being said his fasting was 375 yesterday. I don't know how to talk to him about it. We are set to begin a diet at the new year and we have a 6 year old boy together. He hates eating healthy and I donteven knkw how we can afford it, and he says he's not satisfied without sweets and carbs which just causes him to keep eating. He only will go to the dr when he has to ( when the dr wont refill his scripts anymore Without a visit or if something goes wrong) I have found a great soup recipe that is so low cal and low carb and tastes great. He even loves it but still insists he eat that and then a meal too. There is no talking to him about this he has no desire to change his lifestyle because I think he is afraid if he does he will acknowledge he is sick and he still refuses to do so.
I guess that's enough for now. Thank you for your support. To the womans whise husband refuses to test also, I will pm you then, maybe we can talk more if that's ok.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Is he on Prednisone for the back problems? If so, that will spike his BG.

Other than that, I think that you are dealing with the typical male response, "DENIAL". I'm the Poster Boy for that (if 64 can be considered a "boy").

To me. Diabetes, especially Type II, is very insidious. You generally don't have a lot of issues related to it initially. It is like HBP, you just don't feel it. Appendicitis would get him to the ER right away. A lot of pain.

Somewhere he needs to come to terms with the long term negatives of uncontrolled diabetes.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I have found a great soup recipe that is so low cal and low carb and tastes great. He even loves it
He doesn't need low-calorie foods, and you don't either. If you would both adopt a low-carb/high-fat way-of-eating, you'd both lose weight & his blood sugar would improve. Atkins is a good example. So don't be concerned with calories - you need to eat enough calories to have good energy. Just stop eating carbs.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Sadly, you can't fix this, only he can. And likely the more you talk about it, the more he'll hear it as nagging and tune you out.

What you can do though, is control what you cook and serve, and if you become the best LCHF cook in the world (which, btw, many here on the forum are!), he might not notice that healthy food hit him :) You can substitute cauli-rice for rice and serve scrumptuous things over it - things like that to make him think he's eating carbs but he isn't.

If he eats like that at home, and most of his eating is at home, then you'll be helping as much as you can. Beyond that, it's up to him ...

Reactions: Shanny and Spunky

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
What diabetics need is a new way of eating. Don't call it a diet. The way we eat is not depriving us of anything but carbs. Almost everything he likes to eat , you can find a recipe to make it low carb. I make donuts, chocolate chip cookies, muffins, waffles, cheese cakes, etc. The basis of his meals should be fat and protein. It does not have to be expensive food. Bacon and Eggs are my best meal. Last night I made a big pot of chilli and had a bg of 92 this morning. So you don't need any wierd foods or expensive foods. When you bake you will need to find Almond meal, flaxseed meal, Coconut Flour which is more expensive but you don't need as much as white flour. I even make my own english muffins and bagels that don't spike me. What your husband needs to understand, which mine doesn't is that eating carbs raises bg. Ask him if he knows what a normal bg is. It is 83. So if he is constantly keeping bgs in the 200+ range he is slowly doing damage that he can't see. In a way Diabetes is a silent killer like high BP. In the early stages you don't know the damage is going on until the nerve endings to the eyes, kidneys, legs, feet and heart have been damaged. Once the damage happens, it is usually too late. That is why many diabetics do end up losing their eye sight, losing toes and legs, or going on kidney dialysis. So the damage is real. I don't want to scare you, but he needs to realise that his pancreas is compromised and cannot handle large amounts of carbs without spiking. Is he on Insulin, yet, it might help a lot.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
It might be time for tough love. My mom was dating a guy who found out he was Type II and she supported him, bought Splenda cookbooks, etc. but he just wouldn't listen to the doctor. He would not change his way of eating, and he was older so his health was going downhill. Mom didn't want to basically become his caretaker, so she broke off the relationship. She's continuing to enjoy retirement and the guy is trying to get into assisted living.

I'm not saying kick him to the curb, I'm saying you need to tell him how his eventual symptoms will affect YOU too!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts