The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Here is my issue I have a family member who is type 2 diabetic. The problem is they're taking insulin without a testing method. (No blood glucose meter) Should I worry? They seem to not be taking this medication correctly and I'm a little concerned. Any information would be great.

Information:

Type 2
novorapid penfill
novolin ge nph
Metformin HCL

I'm told they just take the slow and fast together in the AM then the fast before meals and snaks, up to 10 doses a day plus another slow dose before bed. Does this sound right?

Thanks in advance
Connect4

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hello,

Here is my issue I have a family member who is type 2 diabetic. The problem is they're taking insulin without a testing method. (No blood glucose meter) Should I worry? They seem to not be taking this medication correctly and I'm a little concerned. Any information would be great.

Information:

Type 2
novorapid penfill
novolin ge nph
Metformin HCL

I'm told they just take the slow and fast together in the AM then the fast before meals and snaks, up to 10 doses a day plus another slow dose before bed. Does this sound right?

Thanks in advance
Connect4
The pattern of dose timing sounds reasonable but without knowing how much is being used, that's about all you can say. I'm with you on the test issue.

It is possible that his doctor is monitoring him regularly and has the rather (in my opinion) strange idea that as a Type 2 home testing isn't necessary.

If he sees his doctor every few days, he might get away with it but in his position I would be more comfortable checking myself at least each morning. (Frankly, I'd also want to check after meals too but that will use a lot of test strips).

Have you found this site : Blood Sugar 101 It discusses blood glucose control in enough detail to help most people recognise the value of regular testing. It's well worth a look.

The issue here is that the patient is the person who needs to be convinced of the value of testing. Just suggesting that " They seem to not be taking this medication correctly " may not be the way to win their hearts and minds.

Sorry I can't be more help.

John

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It seems a lot of doctors still used the mixed insulins at meals. Many D's are on set doses. Testing is still needed, though. For the best Diabetic management you need to decide insulin doses on your exact bg measurements at meals and for your basal at night. Is there a reason your relative doesn't test?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I sincerely hope your relative is NOT driving if they are on insulin AND NOT testing. taking insulin when you dont know your BG. can KILL him, and others if he is driving.

Is it possible you dont see him check his BG so you assume? How about If he is wearing a CGM (continues BG meeter) ? you would not "SEE" him testing with then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts