The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been type 2 for just over a year and have went from 225 lbs to 165 lbs.I am 36 and 5'11".My levels have been high for the past month anywhere fro 200 -500 with me trying to gain but I keep losing weight.Please help!What would you eat and how much a day to keep numbers down but weight up?

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
bacon
meat
cheese
mayonnaise

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I have been type 2 for just over a year and have went from 225 lbs to 165 lbs.I am 36 and 5'11".My levels have been high for the past month anywhere fro 200 -500 with me trying to gain but I keep losing weight.Please help!What would you eat and how much a day to keep numbers down but weight up?
By the way why do you want to gain weight ? Your BMI is 23.8 which is healthy. Infact You are just 8 lbs from being officially called overweight. I feel you can still afford to loose some more...

Though a healthy BMI is 19 - 25. Many countries around the world have started adopting stricter targets for BMIs and weight

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
By the way how are you managing your D ? Any meds ? What diet do you follow ?

Tony

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Missouri Boy. Let's see if we can just stop the weight LOSS before you worry about regaining. Your weight is about ideal right now, so see if you can stop right here.

Consuming more carbs is not the answer, but consuming more fats will help, and it doesn't compromise your health in any way. Forget any foolishness you ever heard about fats being dangerous or bad for you. Fats are a diabetic's best friend right next to their glucose meters! :)

Listen to thosebackpages and eat more bacon, meat, cheese & mayonnaise. Then add butter, cream, sour cream, avocados, cream cheese.

Y'like hot wings? Bake up a batch & eat 'til your hearts content. All it takes is chicken wings, baked until the skins are nice & crisp, and then doused with melted butter & the hot sauce of your choice. (I caution you against buying precooked chicken wings, because they're likely to be breaded or contain otherwise carby seasonings)

How do you feel about stuffed jalapeños? An IDEAL gain-weight food! Just slice each pepper in halves (remove seeds), load 'em up with cream cheese, wrap with bacon & bake 'em! Pure joy! Just for fun - illustrated instructions from our beloved Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond

I'd add more, but you get the idea -

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info.I just want to gain about 10LBS. My face is what bothers me.I have always been large framed and with the weight lose my face has sunken in Think skeleton looking.It just makes me look like I am sick.I am going shopping today from what I have been reading meat is my friend and I have been trying the salads an like foods.I feel like I am starveing sometimes but my numbers are still always high.I am going to see a doctor at the end of the week.I think my meds are not doing the job and I may be heading to type 1.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
A couple of summers ago, I was battling some inflammation which caused my bgs to go into the low 200's on a regular basis. I also lost way too much weight. My face did look like a skeleton. No matter how much I ate I lost weight. Once I got rid of the inflammation and bgs returned to 100-120, I put on the 10 pounds. I went from a low of 112 pounds to where I am now - 122 pounds. So first of all you need to address the high bgs. You probably need to ask doctor about increasing oral meds or adding insulin. Also what is your diet like? If you are eating too many carbs per meal that may be the culprit. I have to keep my meals 10-15 carbs to keep my bgs in a normal range.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Missouri Boy said:
I was / am in the same boat. 6'1.5" and 165ish. I hit a low of 164 and now reside around 167. At your height and weight you don't need to be too concerned. What are you doing for exercise. You need to be concerned about keeping those BG numbers down I eat isowhey and yogurt in morning sandwich at lunch and then chicken or fish at night. My big cal intake is almonds & cream in coffee. I likely consume 500 to 1000 calories a day in Almonds. Snack on them lots

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well my down fall is bread.I have thrown all the bread products away at the house as of this morning.I love eggs so that will help.I didnt know till just a few days ago it is ok to eat meat and I was limiting my intake of it to small portions,So in turn I was eating other foods with carbs to fill me up.My sister is type 1 and has been for 22 years and she just informed me of this go figure.lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as exercise I am unemployed right now and am keeping busy remodeling our house actually building it going on 2 years now so I am keeping busy and not laying around.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
With your BG level at 200-500 you are most likely burning ketones even though your BG is high. You are also burning lean muscle, which is not good. You need to get your BG level down to a normal level, insulin, meds, diet, etc what ever it takes. Buy some ketone strips at wallyworld, $7.00 range and start checking for ketones. If your BG level is 200-500 and you are showing ketones you need to get this corrected sooner than later. DKA can sneak up on you really quick like when you least expect it.

Once you get your BG level into a normal range the weight loss will stop. You are in the downward slide, rapid weight gain first, then rapid weight loss as glucose and insulin are no longer effective and your body burns fat and muscle to survive.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think D's get a lot of bad diet advice from the medical community. I was one who avoided meat and fat and my bgs were very high. Once I cut out all grains, cereals, rice, pasta and bread and fruit my bgs started to fall. These foods are poison to type 2 diabetics. Those on insulin may be able to bolus for these foods but those of us on orals cannot. Are you on any meds, yet? Also I find on low carb I need more calories a day. I probably eat close to 2000 a day sometimes more. If you cut calories too low your body goes into starvation mode and slows down metabolism to keep you alive. Also I have increased my fat. Most of my diet is fat from coconut oil, butter, olive oil and real meat and cheese.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am on 1000mg of metformin and 10mg of glipizide.
My base was 244 this morning and after eating 4 eggs with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and a diet pepsi I tested 223 2 hours later,So eating eggs sure helps.I always ate whole oatmeal or cereal and my levels would go up around 100.I know what is for breakfest from now on!!

I never had weight gain.I was 225LBS. from 16 to last year when I found out I was type 2.I dropped from 225 to 190 in the first 2 weeks and have slowly been dropping the past year.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Some light reading:

Case Study: Glucose Toxicity: Type 1 or Type 2?
John A. Eaddy, MD, Ploomie Granado, BS, RN, CDE and Aruna Shah, MD

Next Section
Presentation

J.S. is a 39-year-old male truck driver who presented to the emergency room (ER) on a Friday night complaining of polyuria, polydipsia, and fatigue of 2 weeks' duration. He also reported a 15- to 20-lb. weight loss over the past 1-2 months. He denied any antecedent acute illness and had not been diagnosed with any chronic medical conditions. He had no known allergies and was taking no medications.

The patient's mother died at age 75 with Alzheimer's disease and alcoholic cirrhosis. His father died from prostate cancer at age 79. There was no family history of diabetes, hypertension, or heart disease. He reported smoking a half-pack of cigarettes per day, drinking 1-2 beers nightly, and bingeing with two 12 packs of beer on most weekends.

J.S. weighed 228 lb. (104 kg) and is 5′11″ in height. His BMI is, therefore, 32 kg/m2. He was afebrile, and his blood pressure was 132/82 mmHg. His physical exam was remarkable only for signs of mild dehydration.

The patient's serum test results were as follows: glucose, 682 mg/dl; sodium, 131mEq/l; potassium, 3.6 mEq/l; CO2, 25 mEq/l; creatinine, 1.4 mg/dl; ketones, negative; and hemoglobin A1c (A1C), 11.7% His hepatic chemistries were normal. Urine ketones were 40 mg/dl, and urine glucose was > 1,000 mg/dl.

In the ER, J.S. received intravenous insulin and fluids. After 5 hours, his serum chemistries were as follows: glucose, 270 mg/dl; sodium, 137 mEq/l; potassium, 3.0 mEq/l; creatinine, 1.1 mg/dl; and CO2, 23 mEq/l. He was discharged from the ER with a prescription for rosiglitazone, 4 mg daily, and was instructed to see his family doctor for follow up of newly diagnosed diabetes.

Three days later, at his initial family practice visit, J.S. reported improvement in his diabetes symptoms. He had taken rosiglitazone daily and had purchased a home blood glucose monitoring device. His capillary glucose was 308 mg/dl, urine glucose was > 1,000 mg/dl, ketones were 40 mg/dl, albumin/creatinine ratio was 6.0 mg/g, serum insulin was 8.0 uU/dl (normal range: 3.0-25.0 uU/dl), and serum ketones were negative.

J.S. was instructed by a diabetes nurse educator in basic diabetes nutrition principles, exercise goals, home blood glucose monitoring techniques, insulin administration, and sick day management guidelines. A metformin/glyburide combination pill, 2.5 mg/500 mg twice daily, was added as well as glargine, 15 units at bedtime. The treating physician was not sure whether J.S. had type 1 or type 2 diabetes.

Six days after diagnosis, J.S. presented blood glucose records with most values ranging between 250 and 350 mg/dl before meals. His in-office blood glucose reading 30 minutes after breakfast was 265 mg/dl, and his urine ketones were negative. He reported definite adherence to nutrition recommendations, alcohol avoidance, and exercise, as well as compliance with medication dosing.

His glargine dose was increased to 20 units and his metformin/glyburide was increased to 5 mg/1,000 mg twice daily Aspart supplemental insulin dosing was added premeal when his blood glucose level was ≤ 151 mg/dl and increased by 1 unit for each 50 mg/dl increment > 150 mg/dl.

J.S. had stopped smoking and had been taking aspirin, 81 mg/day. He was aware that he could not legally return to work as an interstate tractor-trailer driver because federal law prohibits insulin-using people with diabetes from interstate driving.

By his next office visit 11 days after diagnosis, J.S. had reduced his glargine dose to 15 units and had stopped using aspart. His blood glucose values were all < 140 mg/dl. Urine tests for glucose and ketones were negative. The doctor agreed with his request to stop taking glargine and aspart insulins. Because he had carefully followed all of his provider's recommendations, he was able to return to work driving a truck. He agreed to test his blood glucose 4-6 times/day, eat meals at 4- to 5-hour intervals, and report to the doctor's office by phone or office visit weekly.

At 3 weeks after diagnosis, J.S.'s blood glucose log revealed all tests in the 70- to 137-mg/dl range. His metformin/glyburide was discontinued. Metformin, 1,000 mg twice daily, and repaglinide, 2 mg before meals, were prescribed. The intent of substituting a short-acting meglitinide for a long-acting sulfonylurea was to decrease the likelihood of between-meal hypoglycemia. J.S. denied any hypoglycemic symptoms or low blood glucose values while driving.

At 4 months, his A1C result was 6.1%. At 7 months, his A1C was 5.1%, and his serum insulin level had risen to 44.5 uU/dl. His total cholesterol was 191 mg/dl, triglycerides were 249 mg/dl, HDL cholesterol was 37 mg/dl, and LDL cholesterol was 104 mg/dl.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts