The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just found out two days ago that I have diabetes and they believe it's type 1.5. I'm on the lantus solostar taking 14 units a day alongside taking glyburide/metformine 2 times a day. I'm 23 years old and was a college athlete on my way to becoming a professional athlete so I'm totally lost on the whole meal situation because I'm so use to eating large amounts of any and everything and now I'm on a 2500cal diet. My questions are: is the best to take my insulin before breakfast? How do I monitor my carb intake? because I'm struggling with the nutritional facts on the packages because that's something I've never paid attention to. And my bg has been around 300+, except this morning it was 250 but I don't know how to control it. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, jjballa! Sorry that you had to join us, but you'll get the 'hang' of it soon...carbs are the key to controlling your blood numbers. Avoid them as much as you possibly can and things will read better soon. I know nothing about insulin so someone else will have to answer those questions, but I do know a lot about carbs and the 'devils' they can be.

Good luck,

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, JJ . . . we have many type 1s among us who can guide you through this, and we also have some athletes who'll be able to help you learn to balance your carb load for training and still keep your bg reined in. You're in the right place - thank you for joining us! :wave:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome JJ. Let's address the insulin first. While I have lowered my carb intake, I am not on as an extreme low carb diet as many others on this forum. As you are only on Lantus right now, not a mealtime fast acting insulin, I believe it is more difficult to manage your carb intake with insulin therapy. When I took Lantus once a day (I now take half my dose in the morning and half at bedtime) I would take it right before bed. The thought behind that was that it would help keep my blood glucose level stable while I slept, as well as assist me as I went through my day. Without the mealtime insulin keeping my BGL down, I would certainly go higher, even with the Lantus. Perhaps the Metformin will help you keep it steady.

Now, for monitoring carbs. For the most part, this is not too hard once you get the hang of it. I would suggest getting a book called "Calorie King". This will give you the carb count of pretty much everything, from food in your pantry, to the restaurant meals you frequent. Carbs are in almost everything we regularly eat, to one degree or another. When we think of carbs, most of us think of things like ice cream, bread, candy, etc. There are also carbs in milk, ketchup, many salad dressings, fruit, etc. The Calorie King book will help you figure these out. As an athlete, you should be able to burn off many of the carbs you might consume, but you will have to watch out that you do not burn too many and go Hypo (meaning resulting in low blood sugar, which is very dangerous). I play about two hours of basketball Monday, Wed and Friday. This is vigorous basketball, with few breaks. I make sure I eat a banana or apple before I start playing and monitor myself throughout the game (meaning I check my blood sugar frequently while working out). If I am slowly creeping lower, I will eat something like more apple, or raisins, etc. If I am going lower quickly, I can eat some candy or drink some soda. Typically though, the banana before play will keep most of this away (along with taking less insulin leading up to exercise.

As a new diabetic that exercises more than many, I would suggest frequent testing while working out. Diabetes does not need to stop you from competing. Jay Cutler, quarterback for the Chicago Bears, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 2008. Here is a great article speaking about it. Cutler Coping Well with Type 1 Diabetes - Broncos Country Message Boards

Let us know what you need more details on, we are here to help!

Cheers,

Jeremy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts