The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Over the past couple of weeks I've been feeling sick and I'm worried I may be diabetic. I've had a couple of the classic symptoms such as excessive thirst and feeling dizzy, but the big shock was when I used my wife's blood glucose meter. (She's a type 2 diabetic that has her diabetes under control with diet and excercise)

I'd got out of bed after not eating for over twelve hours and the meter showed my blood sugar to be around 280. I used the coding solution to check the meter was working ok and it came up as 91mg...but then I saw the coding solution was almost exactly a year out of date.

Obviously I'm going to go get checked out by a doctor ASAP but I'm worried about just how worried I should be. Exactly how much faith should I put in a blood glucose meter that hasn't been used in over six months and coding solution that's over a year out of date?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Get a meter that is calibrated and with fresh strips and see a doctor. You feel odd and get answers from a doc as what you have said is Diabetic related. Are you thirsy? Lack energy?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to see a doctor this morning, and yes, I have type 2 diabetes. Ain't that a gold plated kick in the crotch?

Thank you for the reply, but can I pick your brain with another question? Basically do diabetes drugs take time to 'kick in' and start working?

My blood sugar at the doctor's office was 197, I got the meds I was prescribed (the generic version of Glucophage and Glipizide) and took them with my lunch (grilled chicken sandwich and sugar-free soda).

Because I usually sleep days, I came home and went to bed at about 2pm. It's now 11pm and my blood sugar is 212.

The doctor said he was 'starting me out slow', but I was wondering if this was a case of the meds just not working, or if it takes a while for them to start working etc.

Unfortunately, I don't have insurance, so had to go to a 'Doctor's Care' office...and he basically took a blood sample, wrote me a prescription and shoved me out the door...it was the first time I've felt lucky that my wife is a diabetic and went to few classes on the subject

J

·
0 Posts
I went to see a doctor this morning, and yes, I have type 2 diabetes. Ain't that a gold plated kick in the crotch?
That's happened to all of us, at least the diabetes part. There are type 1, and type 2. I don't mean to be cavalier, but you'll get over the shock. Diabetes is a disease, so take care of it.

but can I pick your brain with another question? Basically do diabetes drugs take time to 'kick in' and start working?
You can ask any question here. Yes, sometimes the drugs take a while. It all depends on the dosage.

My blood sugar at the doctor's office was 197, I got the meds I was prescribed (the generic version of Glucophage and Glipizide) and took them with my lunch (grilled chicken sandwich and sugar-free soda).
Then you check your BS 2 hours after you eat, to see where it is. In my experience, if I start out high, I end high. The ADA wants your blood to be under 170 2 hours after a meal. I check my blood sugar before a meal, the ADA would like a reading of 100. Then 2 hours after a meal, and my endo is happy with a 140, but no higher than a 160. I check mine at least 7 times a day, and sometimes more, depending on what my reading is.

Because I usually sleep days, I came home and went to bed at about 2pm. It's now 11pm and my blood sugar is 212.
Then you missed dinner, you will have to give yourself a meal time for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with maybe some snacks in between. You'll have to set up a schedule for eating.

The doctor said he was 'starting me out slow', but I was wondering if this was a case of the meds just not working, or if it takes a while for them to start working etc.
There is no problem with your doctor starting you out slowly, as long as he/she wants to see you again, in a couple of weeks. Then in 3 months for a A1c, which is your average blood glucose over a three month period.

Unfortunately, I don't have insurance, so had to go to a 'Doctor's Care' office...and he basically took a blood sample, wrote me a prescription and shoved me out the door...it was the first time I've felt lucky that my wife is a diabetic and went to few classes on the subject
If, your doctor shoved you out of the door, then you need a new doctor, ask your wife who she sees. A doctor should answer any questions that you have about your disease. Try and get into see an endocrinologist, they specialize in diabetes.

Read this:

How to Get Your Blood Sugar Under Control

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey John,

Thanks for the feedback.

I really, REALLY wish I could find another doctor, but right now I'm out of work and my wife's making just enough for us to scrape by. the sad truth is that right now I simply can't afford better health care!

Luckily (I never thought I'd say that) my wife was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few years ago which means I got to go with her to classes at the hospital on living with and dealing with diabetes and still have all the information and literature she was given. She's since got her diabetes under control and was taken off all her meds.

Basically, I have most of the general information that I need. It's just a few specifics I have some questions on...and hopefully by the time my first prescription runs out I'll be back at work and have insurance again.

On the upside I can say the meds I'm on are definitely working...yesterday morning my vision was so blurry I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me...24 hours later and my vision is more or less back to normal.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

J

·
0 Posts
Hey John,

Thanks for the feedback.
No problem, that's what this board is for.

I really, REALLY wish I could find another doctor, but right now I'm out of work and my wife's making just enough for us to scrape by. the sad truth is that right now I simply can't afford better health care!
Hang in there, it will all get better.

Luckily (I never thought I'd say that) my wife was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few years ago which means I got to go with her to classes at the hospital on living with and dealing with diabetes and still have all the information and literature she was given. She's since got her diabetes under control and was taken off all her meds.
That's a good start. Keep up going with her. After all she's not the only diabetic in the family now.

It's just a few specifics I have some questions on...
Ask away, that's what we're here for. I certainly hope that this board, and the people on it can help.

On the upside I can say the meds I'm on are definitely working...yesterday morning my vision was so blurry I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me...24 hours later and my vision is more or less back to normal.
I'm glad to hear it, and I'm glad that your taking care of business.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.
Again, no problem. I have had type 2 diabetes for 24 or 25 years now.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Thank you for the reply, but can I pick your brain with another question? Basically do diabetes drugs take time to 'kick in' and start working?
Yes this is a gradual working drug so don't worry. :)

Sounds like a good lunch. :D

Yes, Like I said before as this drug takes a while to get to work. Are you slim biuld??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts