The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad is 79 and was on porednisolone for his COPD..this has pushed him into type 2 and he was diagnosed whilst having pneumonia 3 weeks ago. He's been doing OK with diet and his reading have been steady. He's on glicazide..initially 2 morning, 2 night but now 1 morning, 1 night. Lunchtime he was reading 6.0 but half an hour ago he was 18.3 but he's refusing to go to hospital. As he used to take 2 glicazide before I told him to take one (he took the other an hour ago) and we will monitir every hour to check things are lowering. Obviously if they do not go down I will insist he goes in but is there anything else he can do in the short term to bring his level down?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Is your dad still on the prednisone, if so his numbers will be higher. My day was dx'd at the age of 89 from many years of being on prednisone for temperal arteritis. Although that number is high, I don't think it warrants an ER visit. Call his doctor and ask him what to do. What is your dad's diet like? All carbs will raise bg's even on meds. So if he is still eating bread, fruit, cereal this may be the reason for higher bgs.

·
Registered
930 Posts
To my perverted mind that is really not very dangerous in the short term, I was hitting 370 mg/dl (20+) with no problem for 4 years, only then did I develop neuropathy in my feet and legs.

ColaJim

My dad is 79 and was on porednisolone for his COPD..this has pushed him into type 2 and he was diagnosed whilst having pneumonia 3 weeks ago. He's been doing OK with diet and his reading have been steady. He's on glicazide..initially 2 morning, 2 night but now 1 morning, 1 night. Lunchtime he was reading 6.0 but half an hour ago he was 18.3 but he's refusing to go to hospital. As he used to take 2 glicazide before I told him to take one (he took the other an hour ago) and we will monitir every hour to check things are lowering. Obviously if they do not go down I will insist he goes in but is there anything else he can do in the short term to bring his level down?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts