The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out I have type two diabeties in july. The doctor tried giving me metformin but no results so he we found 15 iu's of humulin 70/30 twice a day to help. It brought my a1c from a 15 to a 9.6. I still am confused why my glucose levels are like a roller coaster, I try to stay on a low glycemic diet. I was also told I should quit smking but have started gaining weight since on inulin. How can I control my weight and stop my sugar going from too low to too high.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Most Type II diabetics are also insulin-resistant. Levels of insulin-resistance vary among individuals.

Unfortunately, one of insulin's functions is to store fat. As such, you NEED to do your best to reduce the levels of insulin you take.

The best way to do that isn't just low-glycemic, it's low-carb.

I strongly recommend reading Dr. Richard K. Bernstein's 'Diabetes Solution' book. Follow his advice limiting carbs and you'll have less need for insulin. Adding daily exercise seems to help with weight-loss and insulin-resistance.

Good Luck and :welcome: to the forums!

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I have had absolutely NO success with the glycemic index stuff. I had to go low carb, to control my blood sugar, and added insulin, to that. Even with insulin, it seems for me the diet is crucial in controlling my blood sugar levels and weight.

Good luck, and read a lot, here!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have adopted a Low Carb/High Fat lifestyle, and although I'm still fighting with fluctuating bg's, they are much better than they were. I also am on a basal/bolus insulin which is certainly helping. I am finally getting the hang of a sliding scale according to my bg numbers, and I take Metformin. Other than that I do exercise but probably not enough, and I struggle with weight. I have also been told to quit smoking, but that will have to come later. I need to get the numbers down and controlled before I attempt anything else in my life that will be stressful. My endo told me I will gain weight with insulin, but it is more important to get the bg's under control right now. She said we will address the weight issue once that happens. By using a low carb diet I have managed to keep weight gain from the insulin to a minimum right now (below 10 lbs). I can live with that. 10 lbs will be much easier to get rid of than say 50 lbs!
The glycemic index is a good start, but it really doesn't work very well for most T2's. Most here have adopted the LC/HF diet and have succeeded quite nicely. It is a challenge in the beginning because it takes alot of testing before and after meals to see what food spikes your bg's, and also trial and error with combination of foods. Just stay away from anything white (rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, etc). Also, most "healthy grains" are still high carbs for a diabetic so try to stay away from those as well. Most here start with a website called bloodsugar101. That is a great place to start as a newly dx diabetic. It explains alot. Keep in mind that good fats will not make you fat. That is a hard one to accept since it has been drilled into our brains over the last 20-30 years that fat of any kind is bad for your health. Nope. Carbs are bad for your health and that is why we have an epidemic of diabetes going on in this country. Ask questions here. All of these lovely folks are very educated (I believe more so than the doctors) and have wonderful advice and words of wisdom to share.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I find the Glycemix index to be very confusing. It infers that things below a certain level are safe for diabetics when they are not. A better way to do it is for you to check 2 hours after you eat and see if your bg is below 120-140. If it is not then the meal you ate is too high carb or not enough fat. Keep experimenting with the portions of fat, protein and carbs until you get the bgs you want. This is the approach I used to get my HbA1c down from almost 11 to 5.3. I now aim for under 110-115 after meals and 100 when I wake up. I have to admit I have had to give up some of my favorite carbs like whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice and most fruits. But seeing the lower bgs and knowing I am healthier is worth it. Are you still taking the metformin. Many D's are insulin resistant and even if you are on insulin many still take the metformin to lessen the amount of insulin they need. Also it appears you are on a mixed insulin. I think many here on insulin use a basal/bolus approach. They take a long acting insulin like Lantus or Levemir at night to replace their basal insulin and they take a fast acting insulin before meals based on the amount of carbs they eat. Each diabetic may have a different carb-insulin ratio so the amount of insulin they may need is different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts