The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I found this article online and it touch me so much. It made me think of how lucky we are and how it's easy to take things for granted. We're lucky to have the care and treatments we need. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The Star-Fish Story, Diabetes, and the Poorest Nation in the World - Diabetes Health

Hi Cameronbuss and Welcome. :)

Thank you for posting that article. It is truly sad and seems endless how many People go without help even with all the Drs., Nurses, volunteers, supplies and financial help given, to countries as these. There is just never enough is there and so many are not even reached.

You are so right about most of us in North America and many developed countries being Very Lucky having the care, treatments, medications and supplies that we Very much need. However, I have no grand illusions about this. There are millions of Diabetics who live on our Continent who have no insurance and little or no help with their meds. or care because they cannot afford the Dr. appointments to get the medical/mental help let alone enough basic medicatons. Thus having bad complications and/or dying. That includes the Victims of catastrophies.

The governments have tons of money rolling in. Too bad they aren't accountable for most of it, tend to be wasteful and don't hire enough competent employees to make sure that all the People who need the help, are looked after(Too many queens and not enough drones syndrome). I have sent my extra syringes, meters, strips, Insulin, etc. to help some out, although it's just a temporary fix. I'm only one Person. I have observed many others thankfully who have and continue to help Diabetics out also. There are agencies, governmental and others of course, to help most but whether a Diabetic is living on the street or working a lower paying job and raising a Family, it's just not enough.

I apologize for turning your topic of helping People in Malawi into my rant. It just boils my oil sometimes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't really argue with you there, Terrie [about the gov't being wasteful and having tons of money and it not being accountable]. It's great that you are doing what you can and by the way, it only takes one person to make a difference in another person's life. You should be proud of yourself! And you're right, there are so many people here in the US, the powerful country that we are, as well who don't have what they need either. So I can certainly understand your rantings!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hello Cameron: :)

Thank you for the Nice comments(I just like helping People in whatever ways I can)and for understanding my thoughts and opinions. Many others feel the same way. This subject has always been popular for opinions and discussions on the big sites.

Well, as far as the US, I'm Really hoping that your next President is on track for doing the right things to help the American Citizens with the problematic health care system. That will be a challenge indeed with such a big population but if most of the problem issues were contained and controlled, it could be done.

I hope that you are doing Well. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.