The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

26 year old male, non diabetic from Canada here with a couple questions and concerns...

My sister has PCOS which puts me at an increased risk for diabetes...

Here is my recent blood work, all from this year (done for a variety of non diabetes reasons)... Ranges are in brackets from the labs

January 21:
Fasting glucose: 4.4 (3.3-6.0)... Test done 1st thing in the morning

February 2:
Glucose serum random: 4.4 (3.6-7.0).... Test was done at 3pm but I had not eaten anything, so it's as if I was fasting I guess.

May 16 (last week):
Fasting serum glucose: 4.7 (3.6-6.0)... Test was done 1st thing in the morning and I was fasting

May 23 (just 1 week later from last test):
Glucose: 5.3 (3.2-6.4)..... This test was done at 5pm, but I had NOT eaten anything the entire day, so it's as If I was fasting...

What caused my glucose to jump to 5.3 even though I had not eaten anything just 1 week after my last morning test? Is glucose higher in the afternoon even when fasting?

Should I be concerned?

Height: 6'
Weight: 190
Get a decent amount if exercise...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hello and Welcome.

Normal BG range is between 4 - 7 mmol/L (70-125mg/dl)

It is a range -- as opposed to a level -- because it can (and does) vary through the day... minute to minute even.

:)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Bg's do vary throughout the day. I find when I do an all day fast my bgs continue to rise for about 6 hours, even without food. Your liver stores glucose in the form of glygogen, it is also present in the muscles. So if you are not eating, exercising or under stress your pancreas may produce glucagon which signals liver to convert some of this glycogen into available glucose. It is kind of a body survival mode. Your body will not let you starve. Your numbers look pretty normal to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses

my concern was with the rapid rise in such a short duration.... I thought something was wrong, even though I was fasting for all my tests, the latest one was significantly higher than the others.

So nothing to worry about it seems? I'll tell ya, not eating anything the entire day until 5pm really sucked... and I thought for sure this would give me a lower glucose reading, but it didnt!

God bless

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Did they run an HbA1c test. It will give them a 3 month average of your bgs. It is a much better indicator of blood sugar problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The doc didn't mention anything at all to me.... I guess cause I'm in the normal range?

If glucose can fluctuate throughout the day, when fasting, then I guess all is good... My #s in the past have all been good, it's just this most recent reading done in the evening when fasting which came out high.... Any ideas?

·
Registered
47 Posts
The doc didn't mention anything at all to me.... I guess cause I'm in the normal range?

If glucose can fluctuate throughout the day, when fasting, then I guess all is good... My #s in the past have all been good, it's just this most recent reading done in the evening when fasting which came out high.... Any ideas?
I'm wondering why they did a fasting or did testing on you period, that late in the day? I never heard of that.

Like jwags said: Your liver stores glucose in the form of glygogen, it is also present in the muscles. So if you are not eating, exercising or under stress your pancreas may produce glucagon which signals liver to convert some of this glycogen into available glucose. It is kind of a body survival mode. Your body will not let you starve.

I WISH my bg's were so good.

But, if you are at risk and want to know what your true numbers are, have the doc do a A1C. That will give you your average from the past 3 months. That varies from person to person as well, but anything over 6 you need to start watching your intake of carbs and certain foods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The blood test wasn't planned... I was in the ER for an unrelated matter (thyroid) and they ran a blood test on me to make sure all is well. Coincidentally, I had not eaten the entire day so it was like 1 big fast....

It was just your average CBC and other tests which included glucose. It just caught my eye since it was in the 4s just last week and now in the 5s

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the responses

While it is in the "normal" range, my concern is the rapid rise, and the fact that its in the "higher end" of normal....

If someones fasting glucose is 5.3, and another persons is 4, isnt the person with the higher # closer to diabetes?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
One higher-than-expected fasting level does not make one closer to diabetes. Doubly true if that level is still in normal range.

From here, it looks like your rapid rise was caused by the all-day fasting, due to your liver's action as described by Madea and JWags in their posts, above.

Liver dumping happens to us all, diabetic, or non-. It's a pesky feature, not a glitch.

The good news is ... even with the fasting + rapid rise, your levels kept within normal range! To paraphrase FGummett's prior post, above -- fluctuations that stay in normal range are perfectly, well, normal.

I see only good news for you, and am truly delighted! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One higher-than-expected fasting level does not make one closer to diabetes. Doubly true if that level is still in normal range.

From here, it looks like your rapid rise was caused by the all-day fasting, due to your liver's action as described by Madea and JWags in their posts, above.

Liver dumping happens to us all, diabetic, or non-. It's a pesky feature, not a glitch.

The good news is ... even with the fasting + rapid rise, your levels kept within normal range! To paraphrase FGummett's prior post, above -- fluctuations that stay in normal range are perfectly, well, normal.

I see only good news for you, and am truly delighted! :)
Thank you :)

Its been a bad year... my sister was diagnosed with PCOS, doctors think I have hashimitos disease (thyroid), and then I thought there may be a link to type 1 diabetes as they are both autoimmune....
Im sitting here with tears in my eyes..... *sigh*

But whenever Im down, I think of those who only wish they had my problems... Around the world, we are truly fortunate

God bless all of you

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Stop eatting the carbs now and get ahead of the game

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cut all/most carbs? Even fruits and veggies?
Woulnt that put your body into ketosis and have adverse effects on your kidneys and possible kidney stones?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Well, those of us who are trying to control our blood sugar without meds don't eat many fruits and we eat green vegs and do very well, thank you. Ketosis is okay, but the Kesidacidosis (sp?) is the bad thing and many people confuse the states, but they are not at all the same.

If you just keep an eye on your diet, at your age just cut out the carbs in the main, you should be okay for a while if not forever. No buns on hamburgers, few fries, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts