The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I am trying to make low-carb Dutch style licorice. I started from a recipe on the ChefSteps website and been modifying it.

So far I have this, which seems a decent approximation of the real thing.
Ingredients:
  • 80g - Water
  • 20g - Gelatin, 170 bloom
  • 100g - Sweetener (I use Truvia baking blend), granulated
  • 15g - Blackstrap molasses
  • 30g - Honey/Syrup (maple syrup works well)
  • 1/8 tsp - Vanilla powder
  • 50 g - Flour
  • 3 drops - Black food coloring
  • 2g - Salmiak salt (this is typical for Dutch licorice)
  • 0.4 ml - Anise or Licorice root flavor oil

1. Let gelatin bloom in water
2. Mix sugar, salt, flour, vanilla powder and mix thoroughly.
3. Heat gelatin, when liquid add sugar mix
4 Add anise/licorice, syrup
5. Add coloring (always last)
6 Poor into forms
7. Cool forms until firm
8. Take out forms, let dry for 24-48 hours

As state, this works fairly well. I can reduce carbs even more by using sugar free sweetener and sugar free syrups.

But my main issue right now is the flour. What can I use as a binder in licorice candies that will firm up the candy nicely but has low carbs?

ps: Licorice contains a substance that can help reduce blood glucose. But also another substance that can raise blood pressure. So, beware.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Can't help much with your recipe. The flour would make it a no-no for me, and I don't know of a low-carb substitute that would bind it together other than the possibly gums like xanthan gum. Psyllium husk powder might work.

If you get this recipe to come out well without the flour, I'd be really interested.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
15g - Blackstrap molasses 12g of carbs
30g - Honey/Syrup (maple syrup works well) 25g of carbs
50 g - Flour 35g of carbs

you would have to find substitutes for all of this.

out of curiosity, how many pieces would this make so we can see how many carbs per piece.

you are at around 75g or carbs for the whole thing.

I wonder if almond flour or coconut flour would help the flour part

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
FYI - Wheat flour contains gluten, which acts as a binder (think of wheat paste). Almond and coconut flours (which are just ground up nut meats) do not. One has to add some kind of binder - hence the gums in gluten-free baking. Eggs also bind if there's enough in the recipe.

Of course, nut flours do add bulk.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Truvia baking blend is 50% sugar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
15g - Blackstrap molasses 12g of carbs
30g - Honey/Syrup (maple syrup works well) 25g of carbs
50 g - Flour 35g of carbs

you would have to find substitutes for all of this.

out of curiosity, how many pieces would this make so we can see how many carbs per piece.

you are at around 75g or carbs for the whole thing.

I know about the molasses and syrup. Those can be replaced with sugar free syrup and flavor oils. It's the flour I am having trouble with.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Most low-carb baked goods use almond flour (meal), coconut flour, flaxseed meal - singly or in combination. These don't contain much starch, which would be in flours made from grains.

I have found that it is much easier to look for a similar low-carb recipe online, and then make minor changes to get what I want - rather than take a flour based recipe and try to make it low-carb. No need to reinvent the wheel when there's so many out there who have perfected it already.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It has carbs but UNCOOKED cornstarch carbs are not digestible. If you can add the flour (cornstarch) after it has cooled enough to NOT be cooked it might work. Actually ingesting uncooked cornstarch can lower BG in some people.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the meantime I ordered some Gum Arabica (Acacia).
It should also be a good binder, and Dutch licorice used to be made with this. Manufacturers switched to flour because it is cheaper.

Gum Arabica is still carbs tho, but 100% soluble fiber. So, it's still a better option.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts