The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,

I introduced myself last night, but as this is only my second day as part of this community I thought I would do it again.

My name is Chris, and an average guy from North Carolina. I went into the Doc office 6 days ago for a routine check up, thinking nothing was wrong with me. I'm not overweight, 5'11' 165 lbs. and lead an active lifestyle. However, Diabetes does run in my family. Still I wasn't thinking anything was wrong with me other than I was just run down and I lost a good bit of weight quickly. I thought I really just needed some rest.

I got a phone call the next day from the Dr. who told me I needed to returned to his office because we needed to review some things that he found in my blood work. This of course sent me over the edge with all kinds of scary thoughts running through my mind cause he wouldn't tell me over the phone what the problem was.

My issue was, the family and I were going out of town the next day for spring break and I couldn't return the next day. I called back and explained this and the Dr. told me over the phone the problem with my blood sugar and told me eat right and to come in on the following Monday(today). btw, my fasting number on my blood work was 244.

I returned from vacation last Friday, and being the person I am, I ran out and purchased a monitor. I have been checking my bs all weekend long. Even with my change in diet, I average around 200.

I went in today for my follow up and the Dr. made it offical. I'm type 2, insulin resistant. So that is where I am right now in my life, completely overwelmed.

Here's my question; I'm trying to learn to eat low carb, and with the help of people like raindance and others here I know I will get there soon. However, I need help with good snack ideas. Something that I can grab a handful of while walking thru the kitchen, or watching a movie.

Im really craving choc chip cookies right now, not sure why. That being said, any ideas for good snacks??

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I eat a lot of cheese and nuts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Beef sticks like slim jims are easy to have around . . . cheese & nuts are a mainstay at my house too . . . I bake the cheese into crispy little "chips" & even use them with dips like ranch/bleu cheese/guacamole. This thread has lots of comments on how a lot of us do them. I keep a bowl of raw almonds on the table & other roasted nuts handy - you have to watch out for the smoked or seasoned ones which can have sugar in the seasoning mix, but plain dry roast nuts are a good choice.

Other excellent zero-or-low carb choices I keep in the fridge a lot of the time are hot wings, hard-cooked eggs, deviled eggs & cheese sticks. You can make the hot wings by just baking or frying the wings until the skin is good & crisp (no breading allowed), then dousing them with your hot sauce of choice - I use Crystal or Frank's hot sauce (good luck keeping the rest of the family away from your "stash" ;)).

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Chris, the trick to Low Carb Snacking is to clean out your pantry and get rid of any food that may be a problem. If it is in there, when you get a snack attack you will probably eat it. Replace with healthier options. Have on hand no sugar natural peantut butter, raw almond butter, WASA rye crakers, GG Brancrisp crackers, cheese sticks, some block cheese, different kinds of unsalted nuts, raw if possible. Cut up raw veggies and keep in a baggie. Make some dip or your own hummus to eat with it. Many of us make our own crackers, chips and cookies using almond meal and flaxseed. The combo works pretty good. There are lots of ways to bake low carb. It is almost impossible to buy really low carb baked goods in the store, so you really have to make it yourself. For quick snack I do buy Atkins Bars or Extend Bars. They are the only ones that don't spike me right away. Some people will make a lot of hard boiled eggs and make deviled eggs to snack on. You can even keep extra grilled chicken or steak in the fridge to slice up for snacks. Sometimes you just have to change your thinking a little. A snack can be a mini meal, like a small salad, 1/2 of a low carb wrap with veggies and meat, or a small portion of leftovers from dinner. Meat and veggies are probably the best. The important thing as everyone has said is to test 2 hours after your snack to see where your bgs are. The recipe forum here is great and there are lots of online sources for recipes. I usually find a recipe and then swap out the ingredients I don't have

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home
Low Carb Diets at About.com - Atkins South Beach and More Low Carb Diets

Here are some gluten free sites, but you may have to swap out the honey and fruit

Comfy Belly
Healthy Gluten Free Recipes | Elana's Pantry

O

·
0 Posts
I snack on a lot of different things really... a mix of carbs and non carbs. But I usually have a protein and a carb together. The most common snacks I use: nuts, cheese & crackers, greek yoghurt, I bake my own stuff (I'm the baker in the family) so sometimes snack on that (small portions), turkey slices (when I don't need more carbs). I probably get most of my fat intake from my snacks actually. I also have milk now and again as it's low GI and quick to grab from the fridge (especially in the middle of the night). I also eat museli bars occasionally... and I tend to carry them around with me (the ones with oats as main ingredient). I try and keep my carbs low GI most of the time. I eat all foods in moderation really... but I do have carbs pretty much every meal & snack (very rare to not eat a carb for me)... I just have smaller portions than I used to.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When you say snacks, I guess you mean cookies, cake, chips, etc. Unfortunately, pretty much all diabetics have to work with is 'ingredients'.

Dierbergs has aisles of gluten free stuff, but I asked about their diabetic products and was lead to a 2-foot section of artificial sweeteners. The few sugar free or no sugar added cookies or candy are usually loaded with carbs and/or taste terrible.

My husband doesn't like raw veggies, but I have been making veggie trays so he will have something to snack on, but he didn't eat much out of the last tray, and last night he said to stop with the veggie trays. He says nuts are too hard and won't eat cheese by itself, so now I am once again stuck with the delemma of what to keep in the fridge besides salad, for him to snack on. So if it helps any, Chris, lots of us are in the same boat, and we feel your pain.

This thread has some cookie recipes in it and a couple of them have ingredients you probably already have on hand. You could stir in some nuts. Some people use sugar free chocolate chips, but the only ones I have been able to find have a lot of carbs in them.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
For people that don't like raw veggies, try dipping them in peanut butter or make your own spinach dip or onion dip or hummus. You can buy Walden's Farms salad dressing from Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!. The Cheese crisps Shanny talks about are good. I make my own Dorito type snack with almond meal, flaxseed, water, cheese and spicey spices. I tend to go in phases, I eat something for a long time then get totally sick of it and have to find something else. I am kind of like that with eggs, now.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My usual go-to snacks are a small handful of peanuts or almonds. Watch out for ingredients in them like sugar, corn starch or maltodextrin though, they can spike diabetics. And keep the serving small... even a little 1/3 cup serving has ~300 calories!!

I also sometimes have beef jerky or pepperoni sticks around, but I find those more expensive than nuts so don't eat them as often. Not to mention beef jerky sticks in my molars, and I need to floss after eating it, LOL.

Cheese crisps, as mentioned, are yummy. I often have those with a snack tray: cheese crisps, cheese, cut pepperoni, broccoli, carrots, and dip...

BTW the cravings will subside if you stay firm on eating low-carb. As an insulin-resistant diabetic, your body is still tending to over-produce insulin... when you have too much insulin in the system it stimulates the centers of your brain responsible for triggering hunger/cravings ... That's why it happens for a while...

Once your body is more-used to the low-carb lifestyle, your pancreas will learn to produce less insulin, and the cravings will go away! The time it takes is different for everyone, anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

Keep it up!

Reactions: MaJoie

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I second the cheese, peanuts, slim jims, etc. They make excellent snacks that don't destroy my control.

·
Registered
141 Posts
For people that don't like raw veggies, try dipping them in peanut butter or make your own spinach dip or onion dip or hummus.
You wouldn't believe how many dips I have tried. He says the veggies are too hard, he never has and never will like raw veggies, thank goodness he will still eat salad.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My 27 year old son was like that as a kid and even now that he is married he is still like that. But now he is his wife's problem. At least your husband eats salad. If salt isn't a problem you could use deli meats or pepperoni wrapped around cheese. Will he eat veggies in soup, they're soft. Make a big pot of soup and let him snack on a cup of that. If you can find some low carb bread that doesn't spike him, make some sandwiches and cut in quarters and let him snack on those. Sometimes you can sneak veggies in without him knowing. Will he eat lettuce wraps?

·
Registered
141 Posts
He's a meat and potatoes man all the way. We've been married 47 yrs. and I never realized until he was diagnosed, just how picky he is. When I make vegetable beef soup, he eats one bowl, then refuses to eat it again for months, and it isn't because the soup tastes bad, he doesn't like anyone's veggie soup. Maybe I'll look for some creamed soup recipes with hidden veggies in it, if there is any such animal.

I use 5 net carbs per slice bread, but he only allows himself one sandwich per day. Most days it is hard to get 30 carbs down him, so I have been encouraging him to eat 2 sandwiches per day, and he refuses, so I know he won't go for the mini sandwiches. He is afraid he'll get too many carbs, even though I am counting.

I haven't tried the deli meat wrapped around cheese yet, and don't hold out much hope for that because his cholesterol was high so he refuses to eat much cheese, but I'll give it a try. I have never made lettuce wraps, so I looked on the web and the recipes I found have chicken, beef or sausage in them, so I guess they are served hot. I have recipes that combine meat and veggies that he will eat, I was hoping to find something he could eat cold from the fridge as a snack, but he's so picky I guess that will be impossible.

·
Registered
609 Posts
hello everyone,

I introduced myself last night, but as this is only my second day as part of this community I thought I would do it again.

My name is Chris, and an average guy from North Carolina. I went into the Doc office 6 days ago for a routine check up, thinking nothing was wrong with me. I'm not overweight, 5'11' 165 lbs. and lead an active lifestyle. However, Diabetes does run in my family. Still I wasn't thinking anything was wrong with me other than I was just run down and I lost a good bit of weight quickly. I thought I really just needed some rest.

I got a phone call the next day from the Dr. who told me I needed to returned to his office because we needed to review some things that he found in my blood work. This of course sent me over the edge with all kinds of scary thoughts running through my mind cause he wouldn't tell me over the phone what the problem was.

My issue was, the family and I were going out of town the next day for spring break and I couldn't return the next day. I called back and explained this and the Dr. told me over the phone the problem with my blood sugar and told me eat right and to come in on the following Monday(today). btw, my fasting number on my blood work was 244.

I returned from vacation last Friday, and being the person I am, I ran out and purchased a monitor. I have been checking my bs all weekend long. Even with my change in diet, I average around 200.

I went in today for my follow up and the Dr. made it offical. I'm type 2, insulin resistant. So that is where I am right now in my life, completely overwelmed.

Here's my question; I'm trying to learn to eat low carb, and with the help of people like raindance and others here I know I will get there soon. However, I need help with good snack ideas. Something that I can grab a handful of while walking thru the kitchen, or watching a movie.

Im really craving choc chip cookies right now, not sure why. That being said, any ideas for good snacks??

Thanks again everyone.

Chris, I keep a lot of Emerald nuts on hand. They come in handy little pouches of about 20 nuts each and have only 3g carbs and are 100 calories. I have noticed that they actually help to lower my numbers after I eat them. I have the Natural Walnuts & Almonds and the Cocoa Roast Almonds in between meals.

As for the chocolate fix, I always say an Atkins mocha latte shake takes the edge off. Oh, and the reason you're craving chocolate chip cookies is probably you did what I did and shocked your body at once by going low carb right away. Hang in there, the pangs will cease eventually! :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think I'd stop trying to get veggies down him and concentrate my efforts on finding high protein finger foods that he can grab quickly. I rarely eat veggies as snacks, but I graze constantly on high protein goodies.

Take some thin slices of ham or roast beef, spread on some cream cheese & make a plateful of rollups. His cholesterol will be dropping since his diet is low-carb now, so cheese isn't going to hurt him. Just make sure to get natural full-fat cheeses so they aren't adulterated with processed carbs. If he's good about eggs, make a plateful of deviled eggs - they're one of my all time favorites, and again, use full fat mayonnaise to keep the carb content low. Some people pulverize veggies to add to their deviled eggs, but I like mine "straight" - just egg, mayo, mustard, vinegar, salt & pepper.

He may not want to mess with hot wings for snacks, because despite being a perfect zero-carb food, they're messy to eat. But a big plate of hot wings in the fridge keeps me honest for days, and they're just as good cold as they are hot. Plus if he likes to use dip with 'em, a nice thick bleu cheese dip is very diabetes-friendly.

He's a meat and potatoes man all the way. We've been married 47 yrs. and I never realized until he was diagnosed, just how picky he is. When I make vegetable beef soup, he eats one bowl, then refuses to eat it again for months, and it isn't because the soup tastes bad, he doesn't like anyone's veggie soup. Maybe I'll look for some creamed soup recipes with hidden veggies in it, if there is any such animal.

I use 5 net carbs per slice bread, but he only allows himself one sandwich per day. Most days it is hard to get 30 carbs down him, so I have been encouraging him to eat 2 sandwiches per day, and he refuses, so I know he won't go for the mini sandwiches. He is afraid he'll get too many carbs, even though I am counting.

I haven't tried the deli meat wrapped around cheese yet, and don't hold out much hope for that because his cholesterol was high so he refuses to eat much cheese, but I'll give it a try. I have never made lettuce wraps, so I looked on the web and the recipes I found have chicken, beef or sausage in them, so I guess they are served hot. I have recipes that combine meat and veggies that he will eat, I was hoping to find something he could eat cold from the fridge as a snack, but he's so picky I guess that will be impossible.

·
Registered
141 Posts
He may not want to mess with hot wings for snacks, because despite being a perfect zero-carb food, they're messy to eat. But a big plate of hot wings in the fridge keeps me honest for days, and they're just as good cold as they are hot.
I thought hot wings were made with BBQ sauce, so had carbs & sugar. I have never made them. Do you make them yourself or buy ready-made? He likes hot wings if they're not too spicy.

·
Registered
219 Posts
bigrosiegreenbaum said:
I thought that peanuts were on the diabetic no-no list....
I guess it depends...they totally work for me. I eat the Planters Dry Roasted and they are fine with my BGL.

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
219 Posts
Raindance said:
I thought hot wings were made with BBQ sauce, so had carbs & sugar. I have never made them. Do you make them yourself or buy ready-made? He likes hot wings if they're not too spicy.
I use Frank's buffalo wing sauce. Or Wild Bill's. No Carbs! BBQ will have them though, so I don't make BBQ wings.

Cheers,

Jeremy

1 - 20 of 45 Posts