The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to begin, Guys im a Brit so some things are going to be different, Im 100Kg and 6 ft 4 In tall. my BMI says im 20KG overweight, which i believe as i have a gut muffin top style, my dilema is , i work in a demanding job. but im physically out of shape and body as well. but no matter what i try i can lose weight.

I thought the heat would help as im sweating ALOT as in late 40's early 50's most days but that doesnt seem to e working either. im trying tom cut my food intake down but nothing seems to be getting weight off. can anyone help.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Where to begin, Guys im a Brit so some things are going to be different, Im 100Kg and 6 ft 4 In tall. my BMI says im 20KG overweight, which i believe as i have a gut muffin top style, my dilema is , i work in a demanding job. but im physically out of shape and body as well. but no matter what i try i can lose weight.

I thought the heat would help as im sweating ALOT as in late 40's early 50's most days but that doesnt seem to e working either. im trying tom cut my food intake down but nothing seems to be getting weight off. can anyone help.
Can you tell us a little about your current diet? Do you watch your carb intake? I am not sure how to figure out your weight, but I'll find a conversion table to help me. In order to loose weight by just exercise, you will have to jog or play tennis, something that gets your heart rate up. There is a way to test to see what your resting metabolism rate is. A nutritionist can do a MED-GEM test on you. You would be able to find out how many calories that your body uses at rest. To loose weight you would have to reduce your calories and to maintain your weight you would have to keep your calories at a certain level. I need to loose some weight and Weight Watchers has always been helpful and easy to follow. I need structure when trying to loose weight. We have several members who eat a very low carb diet and they are successful with that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you tell us a little about your current diet? Do you watch your carb intake? I am not sure how to figure out your weight, but I'll find a conversion table to help me. In order to loose weight by just exercise, you will have to jog or play tennis, something that gets your heart rate up. There is a way to test to see what your resting metabolism rate is. A nutritionist can do a MED-GEM test on you. You would be able to find out how many calories that your body uses at rest. To loose weight you would have to reduce your calories and to maintain your weight you would have to keep your calories at a certain level. I need to loose some weight and Weight Watchers has always been helpful and easy to follow. I need structure when trying to loose weight. We have several members who eat a very low carb diet and they are successful with that.
My diet is quite bad, i try to eat a decent breakfast omelette and cereral, and luch a sandwich or spag bol sometimes and a evening mea,my problem is i binge on sweet things. i have a really bad sweet tooth always have. i try eat a yoguart or fruit for a desert but i have a mini bar in my hotel room so i raid that with mars bars etc , i work away from home for 3 months at a time so cant just go see docs etc , its a royal opain in arse.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
You probably know that eating alot of sweet things won't help you loose weight or help your blood sugar. Is there a restaurant in the hotel that you stay at? If so, they may be able to make up a cheese plate and you could keep it in the mini bar. Our dear sweet Shanny (one of our moderators) keeps beef jerky treats by her bed. You just need to find some ways to get a better source of food. Do you have a glucose meter? You need to start testing your blood sugar after you eat to see what the mars bars are doing to your blood sugar, I think you will see a sharp rise after eating sweets. You can't expect to change everything overnight, but making positive changes here and there in your diet would help you out in many ways. Being away from home so long is not very convenient, but if this is normal, then you will have to make some changes.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Once you begin to adjust your diet, I think you'll begin to feel better & that will help you continue making the changes you need to make. I would also think the hotel is used to accomodating their long-term residents.

For a raging sweet tooth, there are lower carb choices which are very good, although they're a little pricey for some pocketbooks. Look for the Atkins Endulge bars - I've been able to eat these without sending my blood sugar into orbit. They cover a large range of sweet treats, from peanut rolls, to coconut bars, to chocolate caramel, etc. I don't recommend eating these forever without restraint, but until you can get a handle on your blood sugars, and become acclimated to newer eating habits, they can help you over the hard parts.

The other thing you can try to be conscious of is that cereal/pasta/bread/potatoes will elevate your blood sugars the same as sweets, so if you can make choices that minimize your consumption of these types of foods, it will help the cause too.

Protein and fats are the components to build your meals around. Meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, olives, avocados, etc.

I'm glad you came here & thank you for joining us - we'll be all the help to you that we can be - come visit often and let us know what's happening. Ask any questions you want & if you need to fuss & fume sometimes, you can do that here too - we all know how frustrating this diabetes life is.

take care,

·
Registered
10 Posts
I find that when I am staying in a hotel I always seem to be hungry. I have found that having some 'healthy' snacks in the room that I can eat as my 'tummy' demands has really helped. I try to get dried fruit snacks because I don't like granola. Granola bars would be an alternative for those who like them. Also if you get into the dried fruit snacks read the package and check the contents so you don't go overboard with them. Much success to all of us who struggle with managing their weight.
Theresa Newell

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Granola bars are carby, carbs raise BG and make you hungry.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks Chris - the dried fruit can be a pitfall too, since the natural sugars are concentrated by the dehydrating - people need to eat these things & test how they affect BG. Then if it's okay, keep a stash in the hotel room!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I find that when I am staying in a hotel I always seem to be hungry. I have found that having some 'healthy' snacks in the room that I can eat as my 'tummy' demands has really helped. I try to get dried fruit snacks because I don't like granola. Granola bars would be an alternative for those who like them. Also if you get into the dried fruit snacks read the package and check the contents so you don't go overboard with them. Much success to all of us who struggle with managing their weight.
Theresa Newell

I think you are confused about "healthy" food and snacks.

healthy for who... healthy for a hart patient is not healthy for a diabetic.

You are a diabetic ALL CARBS raise BG, sugar is a carb, so is wheat, rice, potato, most fruits

fiber, fat slow the rise of BG
protein slows the rise of BG and your body can convert it slowly to BG. Protein also fills you up.

peanuts are a good snack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello...The description shows that you have excess of 20 kgs. Still it is not very alarming but you need to loose at least 10-15 kgs to look fit. The first thing is you should start exercising. There should be absolutely be no excuses for this. Second thing is you should keep food stuff with high sugar levels out of your diet. No junk food for at least the time being.
If exercising is not possible, Cycling and swimming are the most profitable ways to reduce weight drastically.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts