The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

When I was 12 years old every month/every other month I would get severe upper abdominal pains that could last from one day to a week, with little relief from paracetamol. I went to see a pediatrician who thought I might have an acid inbalance and so prescribed antacids for me. The problem continued and by the time I was 17 , I was suffering with the pain just as much and was took to A & E once every 6 months as the pain got unbearable. I was referred to a Gastroenterologist when I was 19 who did all the tests in the book and came to the conclusion I must have IBS. A month after I was diagnosed with IBS, I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes by my GP. Since using insulin for the last 5 months I have not had one single episode of abdo pain.

Getting to the Point, Is it just me, or is there a link between the pain I've been suffering with for the last god knows how many years and my diabetes? or is it coincidence that it has magically disappeared?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I lived on Prevacid or Prilosec for years before diagnosis. Blamed all that heartburn on dairy and meat!

After diagnosis, insulin and low-carb? Haven't needed one pill. And I eat lots of meat and cheese. And eggs. And butter, and natural oils. I'm no scientist, but yeah, it seems the carbs were the culprits.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I used to have frequent heartburn too... but since going low carb/full fat 9 months ago.. no heartburn ever.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would like to echo the last two posts. I had severe acid reflux with erosion. I lived on Nexium, Prilosec and every other PPI on the market.

No matter what I did it would not go away. As soon as I was diagnosed with Pre D, I cut carbs and have not had to take medicine since. Not one bout of acid reflux since I said bye bye to 99% of carbs.

I told this to my doctor that had been working with me to eliminate my acid reflux. The funny thing is he did not act surprised in the least. Why in the hell he did not recommend a low card diet to me in the beginning I will never know. He always said the same crap about avoiding spicy and high acidic foods.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I told this to my doctor that had been working with me to eliminate my acid reflux. The funny thing is he did not act surprised in the least. Why in the hell he did not recommend a low card diet to me in the beginning I will never know. He always said the same crap about avoiding spicy and high acidic foods.
I suspect he was required to dish up that carp, either by HMO or public policy.

I've found the same sort of thing, especially with diet. I stumble on a better solution, and once I prove I know what I'm doing, I get tacit approval, even while they repeat the same advice.

Patients should not be required to stumble around like that. Wrong on every conceivable level.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
137 Posts
Same as the others. Due to constant gastro reflux a doctor prescribed meds for gastroparesis. Subsequently going low carb ended the reflux almost instantly and entirely. I never filled the prescription.

Hello

When I was 12 years old every month/every other month I would get severe upper abdominal pains that could last from one day to a week, with little relief from paracetamol. I went to see a pediatrician who thought I might have an acid inbalance and so prescribed antacids for me. The problem continued and by the time I was 17 , I was suffering with the pain just as much and was took to A & E once every 6 months as the pain got unbearable. I was referred to a Gastroenterologist when I was 19 who did all the tests in the book and came to the conclusion I must have IBS. A month after I was diagnosed with IBS, I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes by my GP. Since using insulin for the last 5 months I have not had one single episode of abdo pain.

Getting to the Point, Is it just me, or is there a link between the pain I've been suffering with for the last god knows how many years and my diabetes? or is it coincidence that it has magically disappeared?

G

·
hi Rachael :) I'm still seeing a gastroenterologist myself as I have upper quadrant pain and a lot of gas that doesn't go away. I've been diagnosed with functional dyspepsia, but my gastro is still trying to figure out which is the best medication for me.
In your situation is could have been the carbs or the pancreas under stress and being destroyed by your immune system. The pancreas sits in your upper abdomin so that could have been what the pain was?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts