The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newly diagnosed Type 2 and I'm having real trouble with my diet. I need to lose weight, but I'm taking the position that I need to get my bg under control first, and then, hopefully the weight will come off. I'm 48, female, with heart issues. At present I'm trying for at least half an hour's walking five days a week, if not more, and I'm consuming around 1200 calories a day. The first week, I lost 2.5kilos, but in the following two weeks, nada. I'm really trying to reduce the carbs (moreso for the last two weeks) but those pesky kilos won't go. Also, my bg is all over the place. Fasting can be anywhere from 7.1 to 11, and I can go up to as high as 22 after a meal (obviously those meals get crossed off the menu). The medical community here are all on the low gi team, but I'm finding low gi cereals and breads really make me spike. And I'd trust the advice of people living with the disease (you guys) before the medicos, especially when it comes to diet. I guess I'm looking for a diabetic twin. Someone around my age who's successfully losing weight AND keeping their bg in check. And if they would be so kind, could they give me an outline of what they consume in the average day? I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough of years of yoyo dieting have messed up my metabolism. Should I be aiming for three meals a day or five? I'd really appreciate any advice or comments. And thank you again just for being here. I've already learned so much from you all.;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new as well and I'm finding it is hard. I have decided that 3 meals at 45 carbs each and 3 snacks of 15 carbs each fits both my needs and personality. Iwish everone well. Jesse

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello again, Margaret . . . I think I'll just post one of the responses you had the first time you were here - it's been proven to work by many of us, and John here is the one who really makes it work. http://www.diabetesforum.com/introduce-yourself/6610-hello-melbourne.html#post55228 It's the low-carb/high-fat way of eating, which sounds really counter-intuitive, I know, but it works. It keeps BG in check, and the pounds come off. It doesn't increase any risk of coronary events - indeed it lowers cholesterol and especially triglycerides. Here are results of a meta-analysis published last year in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Welcome, Jesse . . . can you tell us what your meter readings are when you take in 45g carbs for meals and 15g for snacks? That's 180g of carbs each day, and I'd go totally off the rails on that much carbohydrate. I try to keep my BG under 140 at all times, and to do that my carb intake has to be under 45-50g per DAY - not per meal. If you haven't been testing after meals & snacks, give it a try and find out exactly how your program is affecting your BG. We'd be happy to know more about you too . . . how long have you had diabetes & what are some of your numbers - average BG & A1c, for instance.

Nice to have you folks here - thank you for joining us! :wave:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Shanny. I think I need to spend some more time in the recipes section. I've been looking mainly at the treats!! Breakfast is the big issue for me. I really don't feel like eating in the morning but I have to eat something before I take my metformin. I think I've found a low carb shake that isn't disgusting but if I have that every morning, I'll soon get sick of it. I've introduced coconut oil, but am still looking for ways to get my intake up to 3 tbsp. I'm just really grateful that this forum exists - I've learned more from here than from books or medical sites. So thank you again for all your hard work!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi artfunk54.. I am in melbourne too. Try go to the bookshop and get this book, Womens weekly, Cookbook for Diabetes..

Or you can try this diet, low carbs, high fat. LCHF for beginners | Dietdoctor.com
I lost 9.5kgs in 4 weeks just following that and some exercise

you can check out my old thread at http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-forum-lounge/6808-i-am-such-failure-sighs.html

My Cholesterol have came down, LDL came down and BG too just in 1 month 8 days.

You can send me a pte msg or leave your mobile and we can chat.. I can help u a bit with your foods and stuff if you dont mind taking to a young chap.. lol

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Losing weight and lowering bgs are both important. I find the medical community doesn't always know what the best way to do it. If you read through the forums here you find many success stories. I have never liked the GI Index. It makes the assumption that many high carb foods like cereal are good for you. The basic fact is that all carbs, especially whole grain carbs like cereal and bread are deadly to our bgs especially in the morning. Many of us have completely given up bread, cereal, pasta, rice and potatoes. 1200 calories a day is not enough, your metabolism will just slow down and hold on to every ounce. I probably eat more like 1800 calories with most of it from protein and fat. I also try to walk every other day. I try to walk 90 minutes or 4-5 miles. If I am not walking I am playing 2 hours of tennis or doing light weights. 12 years ago I was almost 200 pounds now I am close to 120.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
In my mind the calories are not the problem.
Many people tries to keep their calories down, which result in that their body think it is starving and it is a crisis, whidh leads to no weight loss at all. The body doesn`t dare to lose weight at all.
When there also is diabetese, it is really important to keep the carbohydrates down, and in stead give the body fat to use for energy.
I eat about 40-50 carbohydrates a day, 1 g proteine for each kilo bodymass and the rest is fat. During a day I eat 2300 calories, and still I`m under 48 kilo.
Breakfast is the meal most people struggling with when they start to live LCHF.
I eat various, maybe egg & bacon, an omelet, a salad, leftovers from yesterdays dinner, a lowcarb cracker with cheese, an avocado with some shrimpsalad, or if I`m not hungry at all; I just take a cup of coffee with cream and some brazil nuts.
I doesn`t find LCHF difficult at all, it gives me the possibility to eat so many good things which tastes good and is good for my BG.
You will find plenty of recipes in the diet section
Good luck!

Reactions: wdmama

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks Shanny. I think I need to spend some more time in the recipes section. I've been looking mainly at the treats!! Breakfast is the big issue for me. I really don't feel like eating in the morning but I have to eat something before I take my metformin. I think I've found a low carb shake that isn't disgusting but if I have that every morning, I'll soon get sick of it. I've introduced coconut oil, but am still looking for ways to get my intake up to 3 tbsp. I'm just really grateful that this forum exists - I've learned more from here than from books or medical sites. So thank you again for all your hard work!

It is a little work but if you will make an honest list of what you eat at each meal and total the carbs, it will give you some valuable info. Of course, list your BG also. I did this for a couple of months diligently and it was very helpful. Didn't realize how I was making big errors on how many carbs I was consuming.
I test 4 times a day now and more if I try something new. My doc says once or twice a day but that is worthless to me. I can't eat the amount of carbs the dietician told me I could have(35 a meal) but I would not have known this if I didn't test so much.
Also, remember, breakfast food does not have to be breakfast food.
Give it time. I bet you will start losing weight when you get the right carb count set. Journey along with us.

Reactions: Jen

·
Registered
235 Posts
More fantastic advice! I can't thank you all enough. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

No Worries Mate :)

A good place is to join your community health services for a diabetes course, they teach you how to read food labels, manage your diabetes, how to find what food is low or high GI index..And some of them have Gyms too and they have Special Instructors and Nurse to teach and guide you in their Gym. all of these are mostly free or cost to nothing.

Normally the class is 3 to 5 weeks class course and once a week. (3 to 4 hrs)

There will be a Dietitian, podiatrist and a diabetic Educator hosting the course and it cost nothing to join.. check out with your Town Council which is your nearest Community Health Services.

If you need any more help in finding you, you can msg and i will help you with that :)

Cheers and Good luck with your management of diabetes :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm totally not a breakfast person either... I grab some nuts and a string cheese. Usually almonds or sunflower seeds. That tides me over until I feel like eating more...then I have my eggs & bacon later.

Eating more often is generally better for diabetics, as it keeps your blood sugar more stable.

Low carb / high fat - look up paleo and primal recipes too on Google.

My day of food looks like - nuts & 1oz cheese for breakfast, 2-3 eggs & bacon (sometimes a piece of fruit) for mid-morning, protein (leftover chicken, steak), big salad (whole head of romaine) and more raw veg w/ dip for lunch, fruit & cheese for mid-afternoon, then dinner is meat & tons of veggies. I often have a small piece of dark chocolate or an apple and cheese for a snack before bed. I grab a handful of sunflower seeds or almonds in between if I feel a need to snack. Sometimes I cook up a couple more slices of bacon - helps with some of the cravings I get for bad stuff.

I haven't gotten coconut oil into my diet daily, the taste really comes through in everything I use it in and I can't really stomach it. Baked goods are about the only thing I can use it in, but I don't want to eat a lot of those even if they are "healthy" or "low carb" baked goods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts