The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Just a question my partner was diagnosed 1 yr ago at age 21, he has started his own business and we have just brought our first property, without thinking as we haven't changed our insurance over but have recently found out in a result of diabetes as a self owner of a company we can no longer get income protection on,y accident cover and life insurance which won't help us if my partner gets sick. Does any one know of a company that will take on a type1???
I find this extremely unfair
Thanks Jess

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
What country are you in? We are in the US and buy our own health insurance. We have our own business. But it is very expensive. We are insured through Anthem Blue Cross with their Lumenious Program. The only thing is that it has a very high deductible so it doesn't pay any normal expenses- strips, labs, doctor visits or hospital stays until we meet our high annual deductible. In the US the best way to get a job is through your employer. Also your parents can add you to their policy until you are 26.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately we live in Australia, our employer doesn't insure us as we r contracting to them so it's on our back to have insurance. I have not heard about that insurance company but we have seen and spoken to most must be different here because no one will touch us for income protection. The only cover we can get is if he hurts himself but if he gets sicks we can't get cover at all. :( horrible systems they kept saying he was to much of a high risk. But thank-you so much for ur help :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
In Norway it is impossible to find an insurancecompany which will give you insurance after being diagnosed with diabetes.:(

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
"diabetics are high risk" is a common theme heard from the insurance world here is the US as well. The sad fact is once a diabetic gets their BG levels under control their risk level is no worse, and often times better than non-diabetics. It's just our medication is expensive so they use the "high risk" mantra as a means of avoiding us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup it's weird, they even told us if we had insurance with them before my partner was diagnosed that they would have paid him out 200 thousand just to get him off there claim instead of keeping him! I bet if he gets hurt they will still try n pin it on type one then take him on! I get angry just talking about it grrr! Thank u everyone for ur comments :)

G

·
Unfortunately we live in Australia, our employer doesn't insure us as we r contracting to them so it's on our back to have insurance. I have not heard about that insurance company but we have seen and spoken to most must be different here because no one will touch us for income protection. The only cover we can get is if he hurts himself but if he gets sicks we can't get cover at all. :( horrible systems they kept saying he was to much of a high risk. But thank-you so much for ur help :)
Have you tried talking to an insurance broker, Jess? You might be surprised what a good one can get for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have seen 2 insurance brokers and no luck they also turned us down :( but they gave us life insurance but not income protection :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts