The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know, the internet is full of bogus miracle supplements and cures.

However there are supplements available that are proven to benefit diabetics. I would like to know if anyone as found any that they feel has improved there lives or condition OR if you recommend any.

At the moment these are the ones i'm using.

Milk Thistle
Magnesium
Zinc
Chromium
QC-10
ALA

I would love to try all the internet can offer, but as we all know most of them are fake prying on our hopes or the shear cost of ording them would be a massive cost. So are there any supplements out there that would benefit us. Please dont respond if you represent or selling items on behalf of a company.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am taking a daily multivitamin, Insulow (R-ALA w/biotin) before meals, chia oil because the fish oil is too "fishy" for me to tolerate, B-12, & D-3.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I take a multivitamin, fish oil and milk thistle

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Whats the benefits for vitamins D3 and B12.

thanks
Vitamin D helps to regulate calcium and phosphate in the body. It also helps in bone growth. There has been some research lately in vitamin D deficiency in diabetics. I recently had mine checked and it was quite low. I am now started on vitamin D supplement (prescription) but you can gt it in lower doses OTC I believe. There has been some study where T2's actually showed better BG control once their Vit D levels were brought to normal.

Vitamin B12 is important in metabolism and normal brain and nervous system function. People take it as a supplement to improve memory and relieve fatigue.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I hear cinnamon is also good for glucose control. I am currently taking vitamin c, b-complex, milk thistle, fish oil and cranberry.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Jason? Isn't cranberry one of the things that helps elevate HDL levels? I should get some of that. Mine are still not rising very fast.
I cant find anything about it raising HDL levels but seems to help preventing LDL. It is good for the urinary tract and a good antioxidant.

I got this from buzzle.com:

Cranberry Pills to Prevent Heart Problems: Cranberry pills contain a high amount of flavonoids, which helps in preventing the formation of LDL cholesterol, also known as bad cholesterol, in the arteries. LDL cholesterol can lead to atherosclerosis, which may eventually result in a stroke or some other heart disease. Therefore, curbing the formation of LDL cholesterol by consuming cranberry pills can help in tackling various cardiovascular diseases.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Jason? Isn't cranberry one of the things that helps elevate HDL levels? I should get some of that. Mine are still not rising very fast.
I think cranberry is good for urinary health. I used to take that but I stopped because I was taking too many pills and was trying to eliminate some of them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After a little research on the net about vitamins and minerals. Am i taken the right mineral?

Is it Magnesium i should be taken or Manganese.

At the moment i'm taken Magnesium, but reading about Manganese which seems to help poor blood sugar handling?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
After a little research on the net about vitamins and minerals. Am i taken the right mineral?

Is it Magnesium i should be taken or Manganese.

At the moment i'm taken Magnesium, but reading about Manganese which seems to help poor blood sugar handling?
I take a multi-vitamin/multi-mineral supplement called Multi-betic, it is formulated for diabetics and the ingredients list both magnesium and manganese. It probably won't hurt to take both. I will have to do some research on this. Good point andrews!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Some claim apple cider vinegar helps lower blood sugar. Apparently, a little red wine will do the same, as well as provide resveratrol. Resveratrol, found in grape skins and seeds, increases HDL cholesterol and prevents blood clotting.

It's my preference, but if you don't drink alcohol, then by all means try the apple cider vinegar.

I've not heard of benefits of aloe vera for PWD.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have used chromium. I didn't really notice any effect, but I may not have taken it long enough.

Wanted to add cinnamon to your list. I have read several articles about it (medical articles) recommending 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon/ day to aid in blood glucose stabilization.

The problem with this for me is how to get it into my body without adding sugar...so far my best success has been a tofu, cinnamon and milk smoothie.

I started a similar thread before I saw this one. Perhaps you could add something to it from your experiences or information too?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cranberry is also excellent for urinary tract health and I have used it to curb an oncoming infection and prevent reoccurrences. It is also a good source of antioxidants.

I never noticed any effect on my blood sugar though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fish oil, Multivitamin and vitamin D...recently read some medical studies that say many type 2 diabetics (30%) on Metformin are deficient in B-12 (B-12 is supposed to play a role in preventinmg Alzheiners and heart attacks). I was going to go to my doctor to discuss B-12 supplements, then I read this in my morning paper:

"B vitamins linked to heart, kidney damage in diabetics
New findings suggest an increased risk of stroke and further kidney damage among diabetics with existing kidney problems"

B vitamins linked to heart, kidney damage in diabetics - The Globe and Mail

Everytime I try to do the right thing, a new study comes out saying I might be doing the wrong thing. Diabetes sucks

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks for posting that...I was going to ask about B12 also. And I agree...sometimes it completely sucks :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts