The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried any of the herbal supplements that claim to help treat diabetes? I have tried several but I am not sure if they have helped. I take cinnamon but I am not sure if it has helped. There is no harm in taking it and has no side effects. There are a few others that I have read about such as bitter melon, banaba and gymnema sylvestre. Most herbs are considered food and usually are safe to use.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I take a coupla supplements, but neither of them are herbal.

omega-3 fish oil 1000 iu
alpha lipoic acid 200mg

I also take 81 mg aspirin every day, and have for years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have tried gymnemre sylvestre with no effects on BG levels. I also tried alpha lipoic acid -very expensive but no effect on BGs. Also Coenzyme Q10 -no effect from that either.

I would rather save my money! If they really discover a great herbal treatment for diabetes, it will go mainstream quickly and we will hear about it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I take ALA less for its effect on BG, but for its antioxidant properties. Neutralizing free radicals (as antioxidants do) can help combat peripheral neuropathy and also (in us older folk! :D) help with memory function & other things that come along with chronic illnesses. Because I'm also on metformin, I don't take high doses of ALA, and of course my blood sugars are monitored constantly. :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take a multi-vitamin, multi-mineral supplement made for diabetics called "Multi-betic", it has most of the essentials plus alpha lipoic acid, vanadium and chromium. I take it twice a day and try not to forget it. My fussy eating habits make it a must for me!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I only take Alpha Lipoic Acid, it has shown to help with neuropathy, it actually has leveled out and lowered my BG. I know they've done research on cinnamon and it has shown no real effect. I take the usual one a day and aspirin and calcium when I remember. I need some science behind what I take otherwise there's a good chance you're wasting your money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I take a multi-vitamin, multi-mineral supplement made for diabetics called "Multi-betic", it has most of the essentials plus alpha lipoic acid, vanadium and chromium. I take it twice a day and try not to forget it. My fussy eating habits make it a must for me!
:) after taking this multi betic , what is the benefit u r getting , please share

·
Registered
221 Posts
I dont know about herbal suplements, but I take cinnamon powder 1/4 sp per day and fenugreek powder with yogurt when my bg is high sometimes and it worked for me..I am taking Diataal as vitamins. I have tried Homeopathy but it increased my sugar levels drastically so stopped it immediately.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts