The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My name is Tim. For a while my wife and I noticed our daughter, who is 2y 3m old, was drinking a lot of water and peeing quite a bit. My wife mentioned this to a RN at the daycare at their church and the nurse suggested we have our daughter tested right away. So on the Monday we had her tested. We then received a call from the doctor on Tuesday at 4am who told us her blood sugar was at 36 and to take her into emerg right away which we did. She was diagnosed with type 1.

That was a few weeks ago and have been coping pretty well. The only problem is my wife is doing all the injections. I cannot bring myself to do it. I almost did it once a few days ago but I couldn't do it. I know this is for the health of my daughter but I'm finding it very difficult to get over that hump. Is or has anyone else been in the same boat with their children?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello angus, welcome to Diabetes Forum! I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. My mother was like you, she could not stand gthe thought of giving me an injection. My father gave me all my injections until was 10, then I gave myself my injections. You should learn to give the injections since there may be times that your wife is not available and your daughter has high blood sugar or wants a meal or snack and she will need some insulin.

I have been Type 1 for 64 years and am very healthy. We Type 1 diabetics can have a long, healthy life if we have good control.

There is another diabetes site that you might want to join. It is a site primarily intended for parents of diabetic children. Here is the link:

children with DIABETES Online Community

Good luck to you, your wife and daughter.

Richard

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Bless your heart, Tim . . . and welcome to our support community. I stand in awe of a lab that will make the call at 4 A.M. to alert you! That is just splendid, even if it was a horribly rude awakening for you.

I agree with Richard - you really must learn to inject for your wee daughter. If it helps at all, just keep telling yourself it's saving her life - which it IS. When they're so small, I think it becomes necessary for everyone in their environment to know what to do and how to do it. It isn't just the injecting, it's all the components of her care - testing, meals, injections and carb counting.

I know you can do this, and I'll pray for your soft daddy's heart to strengthen for this task. Even if it's through tears at first, you can do it.

take care,

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello. My name is Tim. For a while my wife and I noticed our daughter, who is 2y 3m old, was drinking a lot of water and peeing quite a bit. My wife mentioned this to a RN at the daycare at their church and the nurse suggested we have our daughter tested right away. So on the Monday we had her tested. We then received a call from the doctor on Tuesday at 4am who told us her blood sugar was at 36 and to take her into emerg right away which we did. She was diagnosed with type 1.

That was a few weeks ago and have been coping pretty well. The only problem is my wife is doing all the injections. I cannot bring myself to do it. I almost did it once a few days ago but I couldn't do it. I know this is for the health of my daughter but I'm finding it very difficult to get over that hump. Is or has anyone else been in the same boat with their children?

Thanks for any input.
I don't have any children but I have nieces and nephews. None of them have diabetes but the thought of having to hurt them to help them is difficult. If you could just try and give an injection, then maybe you could overcome this hurdle. I can recommend a lancet for children, it is called "Tiniboy". You can just google the name. The lancets are very small and are made for children, they are almost painless. Many children will get used to getting a shot and the more they get the less painful they become. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome, tim. I hope that you will get the support you need here and find yourself becoming more comfortable so that you are able to help, too.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Tim, I have no children, but I can comment on the shots themselves. I was petrified because I thought it was going to be like a shot a the doctors office. BUT IT WASN'T!!! Sometimes I don't feel it at all, most of the time it feels about like someone pulling a hair out.

You have to understand that this is not an option. If your child fell in a pool you would dive right in, wouldn't you?? Well this is no different, this WILL save her life, and she will not hate you for it.

The feeling about not liking it will never change; I'm 36 and my Mother is 65 and she will still not watch me give my shots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts