The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have always shied away from most "sugar free Chocolates" as they contain(ed) Maltilol. That product, a sugar alcohol has a pretty intense laxative effect on me. I learned the hard way after eating a whole bag of Hersheys SF Chocolates while on a long drive one day.:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
On all sugar free products always read the ingredients. Many of the sugar alcohols will cause stomach distress, if you know what I mean. I do much better with a small amount of the real thing. I buy 85% or 90% Dark Chocolate from Lindt's. It is fairly low carb and there is no way you can overeat it. I even chop it up and add it to my cookie batter when baking Low Carb cookies. As a general rule I avoid sugar alcohols with an "ol" at the end.

Reactions: Lillabelle

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
The only Hershey's product that is SF that I am familiar with is the SF Syrup and MMMMMAAAAN, I LOVE it, and it has erythritol, which works well for me!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Erythitol is the one sugar alcohol I do tolerate but Sorbitol or Malitol, no way.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I've been impressed at the sweetness of the sugar alcohols, but I have limited how much I eat of them at one time because of the side effects. I don't like dark chocolate, so I am very glad I have the option.

·
Registered
916 Posts
On all sugar free products always read the ingredients. Many of the sugar alcohols will cause stomach distress, if you know what I mean. I do much better with a small amount of the real thing. I buy 85% or 90% Dark Chocolate from Lindt's. It is fairly low carb and there is no way you can overeat it. I even chop it up and add it to my cookie batter when baking Low Carb cookies. As a general rule I avoid sugar alcohols with an "ol" at the end.

do you have a fav recipe for cookies? I think I feel a need comin on :humble:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Jwags, I too avoid all sweeteners with the "ol" at the end. Insulation Tim, I found out about the laxative effects of maltitol and sorbitol that way as well! You were on a long road trip too....wow! I know it kept me close to the bathroom for quite a while afterwards. I couldn't have imagined being in a car on a road trip! EEK! The erythritol I can deal with a bit, but I really do not care for the taste. I think I will do the same as jwags and use a bit of the real thing since I do not plan on indulging too much on the Christmas goodies. Besides, I am making some homemade gifts for the neighbors and coworkers that will be cookies and such and I'd rather do the tried and true recipes that have been handed down through the generations in my family. They never disappoint! Happy Baking!

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
335 Posts
naynay said:
Jwags, I too avoid all sweeteners with the "ol" at the end. Insulation Tim, I found out about the laxative effects of maltitol and sorbitol that way as well! You were on a long road trip too....wow! I know it kept me close to the bathroom for quite a while afterwards. I couldn't have imagined being in a car on a road trip! EEK! The erythritol I can deal with a bit, but I really do not care for the taste. I think I will do the same as jwags and use a bit of the real thing since I do not plan on indulging too much on the Christmas goodies. Besides, I am making some homemade gifts for the neighbors and coworkers that will be cookies and such and I'd rather do the tried and true recipes that have been handed down through the generations in my family. They never disappoint! Happy Baking!
Oh Lordy - I found out about the laxative effect in the same way also, oh boy and really painful :-/. Crapola...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Are they good or bad
I tend to stay away from sugar free products because of their laxative effect. I don't want to spend my time living in the "throne room" if you get my drift. Saying that eating the real thing is much better. Just remember to eat just a little and not the whole thing. I am trying to emulate my Mother who can make one candy bar last a month. I am not kidding. She will break off one piece eat that wrap up the bar and put it in the refrigerator and not take it out again till the next day or even the next week. I wish I had that kind of control.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I tend to say away from sugar free products also, though I don't remember having the laxative affect from them when I tried them. What i find, and particularly from anything with aspartame in it, is that I craved more sugar - so it wasn't worth my while using it as all I'd want to do is eat more. I tend to live with the philosophy that the real sugar is much better, but I just need to limit my intake. I don't mind the isomalt, but there are not many products I will buy that has it in it (like the sweet williams chocolate spread when I'm craving chocolates). I'm not a real sweet tooth and I tend to drink most of my hot beverages without sugar. I've discovered I like the taste of coffee, tea and hot chocolate (the unsweetened cocoa powder) with just a pinch or 2 of powdered ginger. A pinch of cinnamon tastes nice in the hot chocolate too.

I find once you've weaned yourself off sugary foods it becomes easier to not even want them (even some of the chocolates - and I lurve chocolate), they just taste too gross. Btw - I'm a once a month-er chocoholic - and only a woman would understand that one. But I've learned to do a little bit of what your mother does, deafmack, when it comes to chocolate - and I'm willing to share so there's less for me - he he. Also I'm happy to have the unsweetened cocoa powder in a hot drink as a compromise to chocolate bars.

I love your story about your mother - lol. I wish I had that kind of control too.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sugar free Jelly belly's....through me like a shot. Have also learned to avoid the SF treats. In fact I find that I just making all those things, sweet treats, and candies and breads and high carb items a non-part of my life and, like smoking, the cravings have diminished dramatically. When I want sweet....SF jello and a couple of tablespoons of whipped cream.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Amazing how good is the s/f jello with whipped cream! There are scads of us out there really enjoying our jello! :D Strawberry is my fav . . . what's yours? ;)

But I had a major brain fart last week on the way home from my visit to my Dad. Was looking for a rest stop out on the interstate when the big candy factory billboard loomed ahead with its "clean rest rooms!" message, so I pulled in & headed for the ladies' room. Directly outside the hallway to that little room was a small display case housing ALL THREE of their sugar-free candy offerings. :D Two were chocolate fudge - one with nuts & one without. The third was a vanilla walnut fudge. So when I came back through, I had to stop & have a look. Then I had to have a taste, and then I had to buy a chunk of vanilla walnut to bring home.

Well, I didn't make it home. I ate prob'ly a third of it, and when I got home, we shared the rest. Then I couldn't understand why I felt so icky & bloated & gassy all evening! About three days later it came to me as I was considering what else they might use in their recipe to make it so creamy smooth & delicious. Doh! Sugar alcohols! There are times I am such a TWIT!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I tend to stay away from sugar free products because of their laxative effect. I don't want to spend my time living in the "throne room" if you get my drift. Saying that eating the real thing is much better. Just remember to eat just a little and not the whole thing. I am trying to emulate my Mother who can make one candy bar last a month. I am not kidding. She will break off one piece eat that wrap up the bar and put it in the refrigerator and not take it out again till the next day or even the next week. I wish I had that kind of control.
I would imagine that you are getting the "laxative effect" because the item you are eating contains sorbitol, maltitol, or xylitol, or some form of it in it. I cannot use Splenda or anything made with it as it has the same affect on me. I did find I can use erythritol, but I don't really care for the taste of it. I mainly use aspartame, or sacchrin. I do not have issues with these two artificial sweeteners. I also have discovered a natural sweetener called "Just Like Sugar" or "Taste Like Sugar" (can't remember at this moment and not at home to look) that is made from Chicory Root. It is pretty good. I also do not care for the taste of Stevia. Therefore, if I absolutely MUST have chocolate, I usually opt for the real thing and just have a taste. Or, I use my hot cocoa mix with the Chicory Root sweetener in it with some real whipped cream. That will usually curb that craving.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah...I picked up a little bag of Russell Stovers SF chocolates and ate 2 a night for 3 nights. Let's just say I went home sick on Tuesday lol.

Lindt 85% is my new go to....no more malitol (ol's in general) for this little chicky :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Grate that Lindt's on a little bowl of Greek yogurt, add a sprinkle of chopped pecans along with a splash of Walden Farms maple syrup . . . OMG!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was given individually wrapped little hershey's sugar free chocolates for Easter. I like them. It's easy to do portion control and they are kind of luscious. I just don't know whether it's better to have a small amount of dark chocolate or a slightly larger amount of sugar free. The carb count is so similar.

I've learned that difficult lesson about overdoing the maltitol in boxed chocolates after one Christmas. very ill.

One little sugar free chocolate doesn't leave me in pain or in the loo. I just can NEVER accept another box ... it invites overconsumption.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts