The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I have just discovered this forum in the app store...so here I am!

I'm 23 years old, type 1 diabetic on insulin since February '11 after I had to go to the ER (DKA).
I spent about 10 days in the hospital, got some basic information, learnt how to give myself an injection and all that good stuff.
(I was put on regular insulin & glargine)

After that I went to a clinic which specializes in Diabetes for 3 weeks. Really helped me a lot.
During my time there I developed the dawn phenomenon and it turned out that Lantus was not working anymore (fasting BGs of 250+)
So they put me on Levemir which is just awesome!

In August I finally switched from regular insulin to aspart (what a HUGE improvement for my quality of life!)

I'm the first one in my family with diabetes (except for one type 2 but who ever knows if they really were type 2)
The diagnosis and treatment are such a relief to me since I felt like crap and wasn't able to do anything except sleep&eat...

My A1C is excellent. It went from completely out of control (13 something) to 9 at the end of march and then 5.7 in april/may and the last one in august was a 5.1! (with little to none hypoglycemic events)
Also I need to point out that I am not on any kind of diet and usually eat&drink whatever I want. It just takes time to find the proper way to cover the carbs with insulin. (pizza is my blood sugar nightmare)

Currently my fasting BG has not been too good (130) but I'm working on the Levemir dosing right now (in fact I had to increase it during the day&night already).

I inject 13 units of Levemir in the morning and 19 at night but these numbers are subject to change during the next days.

See you around!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well hey! Thank goodness for the app store, eh?! Nice to meet you.

By those A1c numbers it looks like you got a grasp of this in very short order, and I congratulate you - Good job!

We have a good number of type 1s here & you'll fit right in. Thanks for joining us, Julian. Welcome aboard! ;)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Welcome aboard, Julian! You are doing a fantastic job with your control. Keep up the good work. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy. With good control we can have long, healthy lives.

Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts